Passenger window goes down on its own

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

kpedraja

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Interesting, so the window motor never made a sound? Did the window just slowly slide down into the door until you noticed?

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but is the first reported instance of this happening while driving?
If it made a sound, I didn't hear it (which isn't surprising since it would have happened while I was driving. The window only fell about an inch, so it was kind of hidden by the curve of the headliner. I only noticed what had happened because I had to look to my right to make a turn and saw water droplets on the B pillar.

Jetstreamsky

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well I checked and rechecked my passenger window last evening, given the huge amount of snow coming our way last night and found it had dropped an inch during the night, so relieved it wasn’t open, but still I had snow packed in the gap.

img_2530-jpeg.21926

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I used to have this happen with my MB GLA250. First I thought my daughter has left it down, but it happened again when no one was previously in the passenger seat.
Only seemed to happen when it rained. I found driving around with the AC, heat and seat heaters on did the best job of drying out the car.
I suspected water was messing with the switch but the dealer didn’t find anything.

rjepeters

Country
Country
I took delivery of my M3 on Dec 1 and since then have had 4 occasions where I came out to the car and found one of the passenger side windows was rolled down a couple of inches. I didn't have a passenger with me when I parked the car, so I know it wasn't accidentally left down by someone but that it happend randomly while parked. I've read several posts in the various Model 3 forums that others have had this same issue but I haven't yet seen a definitive solution. I've emailed Tesla support but while I'm waiting, I wonder if someone can let me know if they've gotten resolution on this? I live in rainy Seattle so it's concerning! BTW: I've tried doing a soft reboot of the computer and that didn't help. Thx

rjepeters

Country
Country
Today I had an odd occurrence. I got in my car and heard/noticed the front passenger side window dropped an inch as if that door was opened (it wasn’t). Has anyone experienced that?

Note the window went up via the switch without issue.
Did you ever find a resolution to this problem? I took delivery of my car on Dec 1 and am having the same issue. It's happend 4 times in 2 months.....

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Did you ever find a resolution to this problem? I took delivery of my car on Dec 1 and am having the same issue. It's happend 4 times in 2 months.....
That was the one and only time it ever happened to me so I never worried about it. Sorry!

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I forgot to post...I witnessed this issue a few days ago!

My wife is notorious for slamming the doors way too hard. I dropped her off the other night and she slammed the door REALLY hard and I looked over and sure enough the window stayed down two inches!
I bet with that much of a slam there is a bounce on the contact switch and it cancels the close operation and due to some corner case it does not re-check afterwards.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have had this happened twice to my front passenger window. I have owned my Model 3 since November 2018.

I am wondering if one of those times was due to my friend accidentally hitting a button when leaving my car.

Jetstreamsky

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have experienced that, while leaving the driver’s side I’ve knocked the switch for the passenger window which went down, but I caught it when checking the car before walking away and also at another time noticing I had done exactly that as I was getting out, so for sure that can happen too.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have experienced that, while leaving the driver’s side I’ve knocked the switch for the passenger window which went down, but I caught it when checking the car before walking away and also at another time noticing I had done exactly that as I was getting out, so for sure that can happen too.
I've done this too, at least twice.

It would be nice if the Tesla app could be configured to notify you if any windows were left open after the car locks. My VW e-Golf and its app had this ability, and it would also warn you if the windows were open *and* there was rain in the forecast. :)

kpedraja

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Finally called Tesla support. They checked the data and noted a "water ingress fault" with the window actuator. They are sending mobile service to replace the actuator. But now I'm curious as to how water got in there in the first place. Leaky window seals could be a problem here in rainy (and now sub-freezing) Seattle...
So, after texting me to tell me that I’ll be contacted “soon” to arrange a repair, Tesla support has gone silent. It’s been 22 days and there’s been no update on when I can expect a repair. 😕

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So, after texting me to tell me that I’ll be contacted “soon” to arrange a repair, Tesla support has gone silent. It’s been 22 days and there’s been no update on when I can expect a repair. 😕
Can you open your app and schedule the service yourself? Reports that this doesn't always work, but they are not a good communications company. I would simply log in and schedule the service appointment. Reference any communication you've already had.

equaleyes

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This has happened to me about 3 times now. Once the passenger side rear window and twice the passenger side front. The last time, I actually watched it roll down after I closed the passenger door. It rolled down all the way.

This has happened to me about 3 times now. Once the passenger side rear window and twice the passenger side front. The last time, I actually watched it roll down after I closed the passenger door. It rolled down all the way.
The same thing happened to me about 4 times since I bought the Model 3 last July 2018 (twice passenger side front, and twice passenger side rear). The last time was yesterday while parked at work. A co-worker was going home and noticed my window was open about 1/3 way down, and snow had been entering the car and covering part of the back seat.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Update to my earlier post. After a number of glass opening incidents I finally broke down and took the car to the SC -again. They saw "something" was not right with the widow motor and agreed to replace it. So this was about 3 weeks ago. A week ago the same window glass dropped an inch or do. I am back to square one! I am on firmware version 2018.50.6.

Zoolander

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have had an issue with my Model 3 passenger window going down after leaving the car approx 8 times now. I could see it happen on my home camera when my daughter shut the door. I have called Tesla, they have had me do a soft reset and hard reset, still have issues, will be calling them again today.
It's not good when you walk up to the car, the window is down and it's been raining. So frustrating!!

kpedraja

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Can you open your app and schedule the service yourself? Reports that this doesn't always work, but they are not a good communications company. I would simply log in and schedule the service appointment. Reference any communication you've already had.
Mobile service finally came yesterday. I don't think they actually replaced the window activator but performed some kind software fix. I guess I'll see how that works.

VanIsleGuy

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have noticed a couple of times that my passenger side window isn't tightly closed (hear wind noise or see a bit of water coming in. Didn't think much of it until I got in the drivers door today and saw the passenger side window come down an inch, and stay there. Has anyone else had this?
Car is a SR+ M3, about 2 weeks old. I was not travelling with a passenger on this trip, and never opened the passenger door.