Passenger window goes down on its own

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

kpedraja

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just had this happen to me for probably the third time. A neighbor came by this morning to tell me the passenger window was down. Outside of it being a serious security issue (I park on the street and we have a fair number of car prowls), it was raining most of the night so the car has significant moisture inside. Now I have to worry about mildew.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I had this happen to my rear passenger window about 3 times. One of them discovered after heavy rainfall and and a soaked rear foot well and seat. I also had a malfunction of right front passenger seat controls. Took to service center and they replaced a wiring harness located above right front passenger seat in roof liner. No issues since then. Work taking to service center for repair.

blue1

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It happened to my passenger window the first time during parking under rainfall yesterday. The passenger seat was soaked and an error message showed up on the screen at driving route. I wiped the water later and opened widows overnight to let it dry. The error message is still on today. I turned on the seat heater for about 30 minutes during driving, and the error is gone.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It happened to my passenger window the first time during parking under rainfall yesterday. The passenger seat was soaked and an error message showed up on the screen at driving route. I wiped the water later and opened widows overnight to let it dry. The error message is still on today. I turned on the seat heater for about 30 minutes during driving, and the error is gone.
Sorry that this happened. Do you remember what the error message said?

kpedraja

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just had this happen to me for probably the third time. A neighbor came by this morning to tell me the passenger window was down. Outside of it being a serious security issue (I park on the street and we have a fair number of car prowls), it was raining most of the night so the car has significant moisture inside. Now I have to worry about mildew.
Finally called Tesla support. They checked the data and noted a "water ingress fault" with the window actuator. They are sending mobile service to replace the actuator. But now I'm curious as to how water got in there in the first place. Leaky window seals could be a problem here in rainy (and now sub-freezing) Seattle...

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Since error message shows again, that is "Front passenger safety restraint system fault . Contact Tesla Service" . I will contact the service soon.
Sounds good, thanks for sharing the message. From your post and the post above it, it's clear that there are multiple sensors that can fail when the window is left down during a rainstorm. Definitely tell your service advisor the whole story so that they can ensure that any electrical components that were exposed to water are functioning correctly.

EDIT TO ADD: For you and anyone else whose windows have rolled down on their own -- if you can provide your service advisor with the date and approximate time range where the car was parked when this happened, they should be able to pull your car's logs for that time period. This will hopefully help the firmware team identify the root cause of the issue and potential solutions.

Maxx77

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
EDIT TO ADD: For you and anyone else whose windows have rolled down on their own -- if you can provide your service advisor with the date and approximate time range where the car was parked when this happened, they should be able to pull your car's logs for that time period. This will hopefully help the firmware team identify the root cause of the issue and potential solutions.
Unfortunately, window activity isn't recorded by the logs. I had this same thing happen a few months ago, on a very rainy night, one of the few nights I've ever parked my car outside for the evening. The front passenger window rolled down and let in a lot of water. I had to have sensors in the front seat replaced afterwards because the car could no longer detect if a passenger was sitting there, therefore the airbags were disabled. I asked at the service center if they could look at the logs to see when exactly the window rolled down, but they had no history to look at for that.

It is a good idea to at least note when you discovered that your window was down. If it rained or snowed between when you parked it and when you saw that it was down, there's a good chance water got into the door and triggered something. The most common thing I'm seeing in this thread is that rain or snow was involved when it happened to most of us.

I had it happen yet again today. It's only raining very lightly so far, but apparently it's just damp enough to have caused my window to roll down yet again while I was eating lunch. Hopefully it'll stay up throughout the day, but I may need to run outside periodically just to make sure. I have an appointment scheduled two days from now, hopefully they'll fix it. It's weird that it only seems to affect the passenger side doors based on this thread. Maybe something about how those doors are assembled isn't exactly the same as the driver side doors.

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Unfortunately, window activity isn't recorded by the logs. I had this same thing happen a few months ago, on a very rainy night, one of the few nights I've ever parked my car outside for the evening. The front passenger window rolled down and let in a lot of water. I had to have sensors in the front seat replaced afterwards because the car could no longer detect if a passenger was sitting there, therefore the airbags were disabled. I asked at the service center if they could look at the logs to see when exactly the window rolled down, but they had no history to look at for that.
Wow, I'm surprised they don't log window position, or (presumably) any of the window inputs.... thanks for sharing that detail.

Sorry to hear you were a victim of this issue. Hopefully the firmware team can track this one down.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Since error message shows again, that is "Front passenger safety restraint system fault . Contact Tesla Service" . I will contact the service soon.
That's the same message I got when pulling the connector out of the box under the passenger seat.
Raise the seat all the way up and look for a black box attached underneath with a few connectors going in the back. You can maybe try removing the box (squeeze the side tab) and removing and re-plugging the connectors, check for water etc. If you don't see any corrosion on the actual pins it might only take a few minutes to resolve on your own.

As for the phantom window rolling down issue, I've had it occur exactly once, and my coworker has had it a few times. Nothing to do with water though.

zztops

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Dont know if this was said yet, but I wonder if it has anything to do with a faulty latch on the door? Maybe making the door seem like it is about to be opened and dropping the windows that 1 inch? Just a SWAG (scientific wild a$$ guess).

Jetstreamsky

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Second event now, same passenger front window, but very cold dry conditions rather than the ice rain of last time. Wish there was a way to collate all our data with the prevailing conditions to highlight the extent of this issue to Tesla.

When raising the window it immediately dropped again when it reached the top almost like a bounce, but might have just been me with my finger hovering on the control button. I’m wondering though if sensor that drops closing windows when something is in the way is triggered in some way when the vehicle occasionally wakes up.

Grocho

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This happened to me this weekend -- passenger window, down 1 inch.

luckily no rain or snow, just -15C arctic outflow... so a chilly car.

Jetstreamsky

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If they weren’t auto travel it would take a shorted power supply to make them completely open, in fact if the auto travel was offline while in park that could help a lot.

kpedraja

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Finally called Tesla support. They checked the data and noted a "water ingress fault" with the window actuator. They are sending mobile service to replace the actuator. But now I'm curious as to how water got in there in the first place. Leaky window seals could be a problem here in rainy (and now sub-freezing) Seattle...
Update: Tesla had to order the part and it hasn't been replaced yet. And today, while driving to work in the slush and rain, the window dropped about an inch. Fortunately I don't think it was down very long before I noticed but some moisture definitely got into the car. About to take an extended road trip over a mountain pass. This should be...interesting.

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
And today, while driving to work in the slush and rain, the window dropped about an inch. Fortunately I don't think it was down very long before I noticed but some moisture definitely got into the car.
Interesting, so the window motor never made a sound? Did the window just slowly slide down into the door until you noticed?

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but is the first reported instance of this happening while driving?