Passenger window goes down on its own

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Today I had an odd occurrence. I got in my car and heard/noticed the front passenger side window dropped an inch as if that door was opened (it wasn’t). Has anyone experienced that?

Note the window went up via the switch without issue.

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not an issue I've seen with my car. I did rent one through Turo before i confirmed my order. The owner of that car had a problem with the passenger window and Tesla had to replace the motor. I had the car as a rental when they had the part on order.

tipton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had this happen I believe 3 times now. I always used to think I had done it mistakenly, but I've read a ton now about people coming out and their window is down. I've come out to my car with the window down twice and had it drop down as you describe once.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This has happened to me as well......probably about 3 or 4 times in the 3 months since delivery. Sometimes the window is down a few inches and once it went down all the way. I too thought that my wife had accidentally triggered the window switch, but that was not the case. Since it has happened so infrequently, I have not gone to the service center. I was wondering if this was a software or mechanical issue? I am on version 2018.26.

Jason F

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes a couple times I walked out to the car to find both passengers side windows open a couple inches. Worst is three times now the passenger window did not drop when opening and smashed the chrome when closing. Once front passenger, twice back passenger. I still haven't brought it up to tesla. Not sure if they can fix the root cause since it happens so infrequently with a service visit. Hopefully if they get enough reports they can fix it in firmware.

Model3VT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes a couple times I walked out to the car to find both passengers side windows open a couple inches. Worst is three times now the passenger window did not drop when opening and smashed the chrome when closing. Once front passenger, twice back passenger. I still haven't brought it up to tesla. Not sure if they can fix the root cause since it happens so infrequently with a service visit. Hopefully if they get enough reports they can fix it in firmware.
I have had my car 1 week and this happened to me today:
I was closing the back passenger door and somehow the rear window was ALL the way up when I did it. It scratched the chrome. I have read about this when people are having their windows tinted but that was not happening and I could not recreate the window staying up. I opened and closed that door many times again to try to figure out how the window could have been up while the door was open and still, it makes no sense. I did e-mail Tesla and will escalate if I need to considering I have had the car only 1 week.

Nikola

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The passenger front window on our car also opened itself an inch, twice in the first week we owned it. The second time I discovered it after an overnight rain, but fortunately not a lot of water got inside and there was no damage. I thought it was a passenger accidentally touching the window button, until I read this thread.

Interestingly, the window hasn't dropped by itself since those first incidents (10 weeks and 9k miles later).

Sjohnson20

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It happened once on my passenger window. I came out and noticed it was down an inch. Its been raining a lot so I was worried water got inside. But the only water I found was when I opened the rear door at the bottom. Nothing was damaged. I thought a passenger had left it down. Guess not. Hopefully it doesn’t happen again.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We've has that happen a few times also and like many others had assumed that it was accidental, maybe leaning on the button we get in or out but seems like it's more likely some software issue.

Need to keep eye on it now !

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I noticed yesterday walking into my garage that the passenger-side rear window was down about an inch. Door was shut, hadn’t been used recently. Opened and shut it seems ok now. Weird.

EdC

Country
Country
Has anyone figured out the cause of the mysterious window going down? Has happened twice now, both times on front passenger window. First time was bad, rain soaked the front seat.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had this happen yesterday on SW 42.4. I don't know when it went down, if it was when I got out earlier in the day and left the car, or if it was when I opened the drivers door, perhaps both windows dropped, but only drivers side went back up. Not sure.

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Today I had an odd occurrence. I got in my car and heard/noticed the front passenger side window dropped an inch as if that door was opened (it wasn’t). Has anyone experienced that?

Note the window went up via the switch without issue.
Had this happen to me once after upgrading to 44.2, pretty random and I haven't been able to reproduce it.

It was raining when it happened, which sucked... Luckily I only left the car for a few minutes.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had this happen on the Pax rear window today. My Son was in the back seat and after he closed the door he noticed the window was down about 4 inches. I passed it off as him accidentally touching window button
But now after reading this thread I think this is the same random issue other people are having. I just picked
up my car three days ago, is this something I should mention two Tesla?

Last edited:

phigment

Country
Country
Had this happen on the Pax rear window today. My Son was in the back seat and after he closed the door he noticed the window was down about 4 inches. I passed it off as him accidentally touching window button
But now after reading this thread I think this is the same random issue other people are having. I just picked
Same deal here, but it was about a month ago. I then noticed that I also had the rear controls disabled, so it couldn't have been him.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Are you sure the door was closed all the way?

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Another data point:

At a meetup on Sunday, I noticed that my passenger side window was down about 1cm from the seal (about as far down as you can go without opening up to the cabin). It was about 45 degrees outside at the time, and none of my other windows were lower like this. Closing the window with the switch worked just fine.

I can't say for sure that I didn't inadvertently tap the window switch at any prior point, but I'm usually pretty sensitive to sound, so you'd think I would have noticed had I done that. It's just odd, especially given that I rarely ever have anyone riding in the front passenger seat.

As someone with no garage, I'll keep a close on this window and see if it happens again, because obviously I don't want rain, snow, and ice slipping into the cabin. I could try recalibrating the window position too... though something tells me that if this is a legit issue, it's due to a bug in the firmware.

EDIT: Right on cue, just got 46.2.

Last edited: