Parking Brake Needs Service - Locking into P after putting into D or R.

wc7718

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone had any issues with their 3's parking brake? I have a VIN in 12xxx series but have now repeatedly had issues with the parking brake.

It is intermittently throwing "parking brake needs service" error messages and will not unlock from P after putting it into Drive or Reverse. Doing steering wheel reboot and turning off sometimes allows it to go away but comes back later.

Had it in the service center for 1 week after 2 weeks of ownership but the original resolution was reconnecting parking brake cabling without any other repairs. Now it's re-appeared and back in the service center again for the same issue.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Me too. Just happened the other day. Just Emailed Tesla Service. We don't have real Tesla Service Centers in NM. Car is a 2017 model, VIN 2xxx, has over 10k miles on it for what that's worth.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I get the exact same message every now and then at the time I put the car into P, and the message promptly disappears. But it doesn't seem to cause a malfunction. I should however mention:
(a) Car is 3 months old, VIN 7xxx, 1.7K miles
(b) Within a week of delivery, the parking brake sensor malfunctioned, preventing the car from shutting down. This problem was successfully fixed by the service department by replacing the parking brake sensor. Then this message started appearing a few weeks later.
(c) The problem does not go away with a reboot.
As of right now, I'm assuming this is a benign software glitch and I haven't called Tesla service about it. I'd like to see how prevalent is the problem (ie. the message, but no impact on functionality). Should I be concerned?

Ikru Kap

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I am on day of ownership of my model 3 and this error came up when I tried to back up. If it happens again I will call them. I am 5 hours away from the nearest service center.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
This just came up for me today as well. I've had my car for about 3 weeks now with 2500 KM. I had left it parked for a couple of hours on a steep slope yesterday, making me worry there is something real here.

Van

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had car for 3 months too, had it in service for door issues, and several other issues, and now one more to add,
Got “need parking brake service”. I don’t think there is eas in driving this car, all it’s been problems. Customer service is not good.