Painting the Brake Calipers is NOT that difficult

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes I did mine only took a few hours probably about $50 in material once I got the Jack pad and special low profile floor jack.

Attachments

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I finally got a chance to paint my calipers today, but used a brush and Duplicolor ceramic caliper paint. Previously I used an epoxy paint, which stood up very well to scrapes from rotating wheels. Today I had enough paint left to do at least two more cars. Need to find a brush-on, high temp clear to use with my labels, which aren't here yet, so maybe a project for next weekend. Project took about 6 hours and outside temp was only 55° F, so plugged in, rolled down the windows, cranked up the tunes, and turned the heat on high to warm the garage a few degrees. Paint wasn't drying in the 5 minutes between coats that the can said so used a fan to blow on them until they were dry enough for a second coat.

2018-10-28 15.15.50.jpg 2018-10-28 15.33.05.jpg

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was worried about overspray on the discs and everywhere else.

Turns out the only high temp clear I can find for Duplicolor is spray. You also have to make sure you only spray enamel over enamel. Acrylic over enamel is a fail. So I'll still have to mask off most of the caliper.

Country
Country
Just curious, how are painted calipers treated if you trade your car back in? I've heard people had to change their upgraded tires back and remove spoilers when they trade their cars in. I ordered some G2 caliper paint, but I am now wondering if I would have to replace my calipers if I want to trade the car in later. I plan to keep the car for the long term, but plans can change too.

rlb4

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What about bringing the car in for brake related warranty service? They will probably say it voids your warranty.

Jayc

Country
Country
Anyone fitted caliper covers instead of painting ? Just wanted to know whether caliper covers are available for Model 3 non performance calipers.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm curious, since you are allowing time to pass between the painting and the clearcoat, what approach are you going with to clean the calipers before applying the clearcoat? Since I did mine all at one, I could be more agressive with the cleaning than I think I'd be comfortable with with recent paint already in place.
Here's the application tips for the Duplicolor enamel I used: https://duplicolor.com/assets/documents/application-tips.pdf

In a nutshell, I have to let the paint cure at least a week, then smooth surfaces would need to be wet sanded. Since the temps when I painted them was marginal (a warm day) and no heated garage available, I suspect it'll wait until spring (or an unexpected Indian summer).

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just curious, how are painted calipers treated if you trade your car back in? I've heard people had to change their upgraded tires back and remove spoilers when they trade their cars in.
You're thinking of returning a lease. When you lease a car, you are expected to return it in the original condition when the lease is up. Leases aren't available yet for Model 3, so nobody is in that situation.