Resolved paint weirdness.....

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I just noticed this while washing my SR+ over the weekend, 2nd time I've washed it. It's just over 2 months old. See picture: If you look at the top of the door, right next to the seam, there is a patch about the size of my fist, that has a weird color/texture to it. It looks to me to be only the clear. coat. If you run your finger along it, there is a noticeable texture difference from the rest of the paint, and I would have to say that difference is "glossy vs matte". At first I thought it was just residue or something, but it won't detail off.

Based on my own experience doing lacquer finishes on my guitars, I'd say it *looks* like the top coat was wet sanded there (to remove a dust fleck?), but wasn't buffed out like the rest of the finish.

Thoughts? I think I need to put in a service report/claim on this to Tesla?

IMG_7530.JPG

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a similar issue after delivery of my M3. Though they told me that they like to have new vehicle discrepancies pointed out within two weeks, the Service Center personal happily agreed to a paint correction after a month’s notice. It took three more months to get it scheduled. They took the car for a week, gave me a MS loaner, and returned my M3 with the paint correction complete. No charge. Satisfied, even though it was a hassle.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a similar issue after delivery of my M3. Though they told me that they like to have new vehicle discrepancies pointed out within two weeks, the Service Center personal happily agreed to a paint correction after a month’s notice. It took three more months to get it scheduled. They took the car for a week, gave me a MS loaner, and returned my M3 with the paint correction complete. No charge. Satisfied, even though it was a hassle.
Thanks @mrcndc

What approach did you take to report it? Just entered a service request?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm wondering if just taking it to a local place would faster (and not cost too much?). If it's just a buffing thing, it's probably about 10 minutes of work!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had these spots on about 7 different locations on my car. I do detail cars as a side job, but these are very easy to remove yourself. If you have a DA polisher, pads, and some light polish it is an absolute breeze. If you don’t have any of these things removal is still doable, just a bit more work. Go to any store that sells car wash supplies and get a paint polish and some polishing pads. Maguires sells DYI kits. You won’t remove any swirls or light scratches by hand but you can remove the paint defect shown above.

If working by hand, each spot should be fixed in a minute to two of vigorous rubbing. The most important thing is to wash the area prior to polishing, any dirt on the paint will cause further damage.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had these spots on about 7 different locations on my car. I do detail cars as a side job, but these are very easy to remove yourself. If you have a DA polisher, pads, and some light polish it is an absolute breeze. If you don’t have any of these things removal is still doable, just a bit more work. Go to any store that sells car wash supplies and get a paint polish and some polishing pads. Maguires sells DYI kits. You won’t remove any swirls or light scratches by hand but you can remove the paint defect shown above.

If working by hand, each spot should be fixed in a minute to two of vigorous rubbing. The most important thing is to wash the area prior to polishing, any dirt on the paint will cause further damage.
Same pads as you use to "de-fog" the plastic headlights? Just with a different compound? That's quite doable, I already have the pads for my Festool RO-90!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had those marks all over my car when I took delivery. All you need to do is polish it.
Here are my before and after videos.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Same pads as you use to "de-fog" the plastic headlights? Just with a different compound? That's quite doable, I already have the pads for my Festool RO-90!

Unless you have some experience working on auto paint, I would start by hand polishing, especially on a Tesla. If your not using a DA polisher you can easily burn though the clear coat. I have seen people using rotary polishers for the first time destroy paint jobs. If you do have some pads already, a polishing or a very light cutting foam is all you would need for the task. Anything more aggressive is going to take off more clear coat than necessary. Most clear coats are the thickness of a post it note! Save as much as possible when polishing.

There are a few different types of the headlight pads depending on the correction desired. Obviously don’t use the sandpaper discs, some are what appears to be a soft wool ( it has great cutting ability) that is way to aggressive for paint. A general rule is always start with the least aggressive method first and work up, once you take more clear coat off than you desire it’s a huge mess to fix.

In the Maguire's kit that I’m thinking of, there is a little foam applicator. People typically use them for waxing. While this isn’t the best tool for the job it’s easily accessible in most stores and won’t mess up your paint, even if you are new to paint correction. Just apply a small amount of polish to the pad, work it in with your finger and start rubbing on the desired area.

I hope that answers your question.

Attachments

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unless you have some experience working on auto paint, I would start by hand polishing, especially on a Tesla. If your not using a DA polisher you can easily burn though the clear coat. I have seen people using rotary polishers for the first time destroy paint jobs. If you do have some pads already, a polishing or a very light cutting foam is all you would need for the task. Anything more aggressive is going to take off more clear coat than necessary. Most clear coats are the thickness of a post it note! Save as much as possible when polishing.

There are a few different types of the headlight pads depending on the correction desired. Obviously don’t use the sandpaper discs, some are what appears to be a soft wool ( it has great cutting ability) that is way to aggressive for paint. A general rule is always start with the least aggressive method first and work up, once you take more clear coat off than you desire it’s a huge mess to fix.

In the Maguire's kit that I’m thinking of, there is a little foam applicator. People typically use them for waxing. While this isn’t the best tool for the job it’s easily accessible in most stores and won’t mess up your paint, even if you are new to paint correction. Just apply a small amount of polish to the pad, work it in with your finger and start rubbing on the desired area.

I hope that answers your question.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, point taken. I've blown through the lacquer on my guitars (edges mostly) too many times to count. And that's just buffing! We go for a very thin finish on acoustics!

I found a local detailer who said "no problem" on fixing it. They're going to do the entire car and make it look nice. So I'll just play it safe.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the info. Yeah, point taken. I've blown through the lacquer on my guitars (edges mostly) too many times to count. And that's just buffing! We go for a very thin finish on acoustics!

I found a local detailer who said "no problem" on fixing it. They're going to do the entire car and make it look nice. So I'll just play it safe.
I am sure the car will look great, that is a very easy job for any detailer. Enjoy!