Paint protection professional and DIY approach

Henchman

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wanted to protect the paint, but had stretched my budget, and decided to only ceramic coat it myself.
This being the first time I’ve ever done something like this.
I did the ceramic the day after I picked up the car. The paint was in really good shape, but
I did have to buff one panel that had swirl marks on it.
I'll post a list of links to the products used.

I used Feynlab Ceramic Plus, using a couple of their prep products. Prime and Panel prep.
First you want to get rid of any Metal oxide particles. You can use something like Iron X, but Meguiar's Mirror Bright Wheel Cleaner will do the job, as it has the same active ingredient, but it's cheaper. Spray the entire car with it, then give it a quick rinse.

Then using Feynlab Prime as a lubricant and a Nanoskin blue claybar sponge, I claybarred the entire car.
Another rinse, and wiped with micro fibre cloth.
Then I wiped the entire car with Feynlab panel prep.
Then applied the Feynlab Ceramic.
I was easily able to apply the Ceramic coating on the entire car before reaching the maximum dwell time of 25 minutes.
Then I wiped and buffed with a microfibre.
3 days later I found a big Chip on the bottom of the bumper edge
I immediately decided, I need to wrap the bumper.
I got 2 quotes for almost $900
Third quote was half that. And I asked about full hood.
Total for full hood and full bumper was $950.
I decided to have the bumper and hood wrapped with Expel.
That's being done next week. Cost $950.

In the meantime I decided to experiment on our leafs paint, that
I admittedly hadn't maintained very well.
I used products from chemical guys to buff the entire car, using a Porter cable 7424 DA
that I had lying around.
Again, I had never done anything like this before.
A couple of hours later, and the paint on the leaf actually looked better than when we bought it.
Thing shines like a mofo.

Reason I mention this is because the leaf is 8 years old, other than the bumper and the hood, paint damage everywhere else is pretty much non existent. And it's my commuter car. Even the hood has minimal damage.
So doing a complete wrap, IMO isn't really all that necessary.
In about a year, maybe 2, I'll recoat the car again. Except now I feel confident to buff the entire car to a mirror shine.
At that point the paint will have hardened nicely as well.

Partial Xpel and self ceramic kept me within my budget.

Save yourself some money.
Clean and buff your car and coat It yourself.

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/1345816/00860

https://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-speedy-prep-sponge-fine-grade.html

https://www.feynlab.com/product/ceramic_17/

https://www.feynlab.com/product/panel-prep/

https://www.feynlab.com/product/prime/

https://www.chemicalguys.com/Professional_Grade_Microfiber_Towel_24_x16_p/mic_507_03.htm

Last edited:

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nice job! I am also taking this approach. Just need to find time to do it. Have all the materials...

kenriko

TOO Sponsor Vendor
TOO Advertiser
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

Length 11:26 | 12 Hours Labor | 24 Hours Cure

TLDW

How to wash, Clay, Polish, Prep, Ceramic Coat.

1) Wash with the two bucket system top to bottom, a foam cannon is handy.
2) Clay bar the whole car to get ride of contaminants.
3) Polish using a random orbital polisher and M205 with a orange pad.
4) Prep using Gyeon prep (or other like product)
5) Unboxing of the Gyeon Mohs Kit
6) Applying ceramic coating in a hatch pattern, work in 2x2 sections and wipe away after 10-30s
7) ohhhh shinnnyy

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

TLDW

6) Applying ceramic coating in a hatch pattern, work in 2x2 sections and wipe away after 10-30s
7) ohhhh shinnnyy
Very informative video! Thanks for taking the time to prepare and share. Looks like a lot of work, but wow! Great results. I have a question regarding use of the foam applicator block. It looks like it would work fine for the relatively flat surfaces, but seems it would be difficult to apply the product on curved surfaces. Any issues? Thanks.

kenriko

TOO Sponsor Vendor
TOO Advertiser
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Very informative video! Thanks for taking the time to prepare and share. Looks like a lot of work, but wow! Great results. I have a question regarding use of the foam applicator block. It looks like it would work fine for the relatively flat surfaces, but seems it would be difficult to apply the product on curved surfaces. Any issues? Thanks.
Most of it is very firm but the final 1/4th inch is squishy sponge material so it helps it to mush around corners and edges. You do need a firm grip on it and it's pretty easy to get cramps in your fingers but the block handles the curves well.

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Most of it is very firm but the final 1/4th inch is squishy sponge material so it helps it to mush around corners and edges. You do need a firm grip on it and it's pretty easy to get cramps in your fingers but the block handles the curves well.
Thanks. I think I will probably go this route with my Model 3 as well. Less inclined to do the PPF. How long is this ceramic coating expected to last?

theishu

Dream Car Unlocked
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

TLDW

7) ohhhh shinnnyy
Thank you! This is very helpful. I'll give it a try on my current ICE daily driver, before I dare touch the M3.
Quick question: does any part of this process change, if the PPF is already done first?

Henchman

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I didn't to the polishing, I too was terrified I'd destroy the Paint on the new car.
However I was motivate to clean up the paint of my,tsrtimgnto Looking dingt Nissan Leaf.
I already had a DA polsiher. So i sent then afternoon polishing the leaf.

The Leafmlooks better than when we bought it.
When it comes time repost the M3 in going to do a full polish myslef.
Checkout the chemical guys, They have some great products .

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you! This is very helpful. I'll give it a try on my current ICE daily driver, before I dare touch the M3.
Quick question: does any part of this process change, if the PPF is already done first?
You'd skip the polishing step - you don't want to do what amounts to a paint correction on PPF, as it's not the paint.

kenriko

TOO Sponsor Vendor
TOO Advertiser
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
You won't polish if PFF is there.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for this thread @Henchman and another vote or two of confidence that this can be done at home by us. Very good video as well. @kenriko.

My budget doesn't allow for $1000 and up coatings, etc. Researched Gyeon Mohls last week after seeing @kenriko had used it in the "picture" thread. Did more research and watched videos on Autogeek.

My Porter Cable 7424DA polisher which the Autogeek video had used came in yesterday and the Gyeon Mohls came today. Polishing pads should be here tomorrow. I"ve clayed and use Zaino on vehicles before, so I'm not afraid of tackling something myself, however I've not ever messed with ceramics before. I've got a 2014 F150 that hasn't ever had anything done to it. I'm going to tackle it before the M3 (which I don't even have yet.) Will follow the order, good wash, clay, prep and then ceramic, etc.. The truck will really appreciate it as the M3 should as well in a few weeks.

Last edited:

Gizmo

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
There does seem to be a difference in different types of ceramic coating, Gtechniq for instance (the only one I have first hand experience of) requires flatting down to remove it, polish will not break it down or remove it.

Maybe that’s why they say it’s not a DIY option?

The Gtechnic Crystal Serum also claims to protect for over 3 years, my protected car has currently been done 2 ½ years and it is still beading rain nicely (I have not applied ANYTHING on top yet.)

Lansing

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I've used Zaino with spectacular results. Please let us know how your ceramic coating pans out!

I've wondered what happens when the ceramic coating wears out. Can you layer another coat or do you have to remove and start from scratch?

Thanks for this thread @Henchman and another vote or two of confidence that this can be done at home by us. Very good video as well. @kenriko.

My budget doesn't allow for $1000 and up coatings, etc. Researched Gyeon Mohls last week after seeing @kenriko had used it in the "picture" thread. Did more research and watched videos on Autogeek.

My Porter Cable 7424DA polisher which the Autogeek video had used came in yesterday and the Gyeon Mohls came today. Polishing pads should be here tomorrow. I"ve clayed and use Zaino on vehicles before, so I'm not afraid of tackling something myself, however I've not ever missed with ceramics before. I've got a 2014 F150 that hasn't ever had anything done to it. I'm going to tackle it before the M3 (which I don't even have yet.) Will follow the order, good wash, clay, prep and then ceramic, etc.. The truck will really appreciate it as the M3 should as well in a few weeks.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've used Zaino with spectacular results. Please let us know how your ceramic coating pans out!

I've wondered what happens when the ceramic coating wears out. Can you layer another coat or do you have to remove and start from scratch?
That is honestly a good question about what happens in a couple of years. I bough their wash product as well. It sounds like there could be a tiny bit of the ceramic in there and it keeps it looking good. Who knows for sure. I bit, we'll see how long it really lasts. It'll probably be another 3 weeks before the M3 is here, so I'm hoping next weekend to maybe tackle the truck, but there is lots of paint there.

duckfriedrice

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
@Henchman what environment did you do the coating in? How long did it take to cure? I am in an underground apartment garage so I am curious about that being an issue with doing this myself.