Paint issues at only 190 miles?

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
i took some pictures here: View attachment 21175 View attachment 21176

i’ve got about 4k miles. mostly highway. gyeon quartz ceramic applied didn’t seem to matter much. RWD LR for anyone curious. View attachment 21175 View attachment 21176
My white Model 3 hides these chips better, but they are still there wherever there is no PPF.

The whole rocker and front face of the dogleg (leading edge of rear wheel well) should be a color matched polyurethane body peice, like one sees on almost every other car/suv on the road.

kpedraja

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Finally took my Model 3 on a long distance trip. Drove from Seattle to Central Oregon over the pass near Mount Hood and took a few side trips to Mt. Bachelor. Unfortunately, it looks like the pumice that Oregon DOT uses on roads in the winter has really done a number on the paint of my car, particularly where the wheel wells flare out in front of the rear wheels. It looks like the damage was caused by ejecta from the front wheels. I'm surprised at how bad the damage is to the clear coat (it's down to the undercoat in some places). This looks to be a particularly vulnerable part of the car. Anyway, super disappointing as the Model 3 is my daily driver and otherwise performed well in the snow. But now I'm not sure i want to take it up into the mountains again.

kpedraja

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Finally took my Model 3 on a long distance trip. Drove from Seattle to Central Oregon over the pass near Mount Hood and took a few side trips to Mt. Bachelor. Unfortunately, it looks like the pumice that Oregon DOT uses on roads in the winter has really done a number on the paint of my car, particularly where the wheel wells flare out in front of the rear wheels. It looks like the damage was caused by ejecta from the front wheels. I'm surprised at how bad the damage is to the clear coat (it's down to the undercoat in some places). This looks to be a particularly vulnerable part of the car. Anyway, super disappointing as the Model 3 is my daily driver and otherwise performed well in the snow. But now I'm not sure i want to take it up into the mountains again.
Some photos to show what it looks (after a couple of attempts to buff it out with rubbing compound and ScratchX). Also, very open to repair suggestions.

1551119724882.png 1551119724882.png

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oh wow, that's pretty bad.

I suggest taking it back to Tesla and having them take a look first. Perhaps you get an especially soft clearcoat on your vehicle.
After that, I'd take it to a detailer and ask for their opinion.
If they can't do anything, then it's probably going to need repainted.

Jason@FreshStartDetail

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Ah yes, we see this very frequently and it is not unique to Tesla. Sorry you had to find out the hard way on such a nice car!
Any vehicle driven in eastern Oregon where they use that red volcanic basaltic pumice type rock to sand the roads are especially susceptible to this kind of road rash due to its extreme abrasiveness compared to what is used on the west side of the Cascades.
I'm generally not a fan of Paint Protection Film (PPF) but if I owned a Model 3 I would have them apply PPF on these lower panels to specifically guard against this.
Going forward, you could either have PPF installed now to minimize the damage (my recommendation and it would somewhat hide the existing damage), or get that portion repainted then have PPF applied. Just beware that applying PPF over non-factory paint can be disastrous when you go to remove the PPF years down the road when it could lift the paint clear off.

I bought a one year old car from a dealer in Bend that had this kind of road-rash sand blasting quite severely in the same manner. I chose to spray Scorpion bedliner material to cover it up and prevent further damage. However I have the shop, materials, and experience to spray, and my car is much darker in color and the bedliner material matches quite nicely so it looks factory.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That stinks.
Sounds like you already took the right steps to see if it can be polished out, and it is worth asking Tesla if they might do something, but barring that I would think a rub-in touchup paint like https://www.drcolorchip.com would work well here. I think Tesla's touch up paint kits work similarly.
Then yes, after its had many days to cure, some paint protection film would help in the future.
I skipped adding PPF to these areas because my wallet was already on fire, but I might try to do it myself.

kpedraja

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some photos to show what it looks (after a couple of attempts to buff it out with rubbing compound and ScratchX). Also, very open to repair suggestions.

View attachment 22476 View attachment 22476
So Tesla has agreed to repair the paint under warranty. Though it took a while to get a service appointment, they were very gracious. Redoing rockers, doors and fender flares.

Jason@FreshStartDetail

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
So Tesla has agreed to repair the paint under warranty. Though it took a while to get a service appointment, they were very gracious. Redoing rockers, doors and fender flares.
THat's pretty nice of them.
Going forward, expect the new paint to chip even faster than the factory paint so get some protection on there pronto!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's a real bummer. I drove from San Diego to Seattle one winter in my newer Ford truck and the entire front was ruined from the same experience through Oregon. FWIW- i did PPF on my M3P and had them do the rocker panels too. It seems to have helped quite a bit.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi Man. Sorry that i come back to this post but i just founded it. Did you know that this issue is now widespread globally. We have had reports from Sweden, Norway, Finland ( 10-15% ) of all Model 3:s in country are affected with maybe wrongly cured & soft coat, germany, portugal, canada etc.

What was your miles & kilometers when you discovered the problem? What is you VIN ending? My is 224547 We are trying to pinpoint manufacture date when these have started. I got my model 3 performance @ Finland on 29.3.2019 and i started to notice weird things on painting @ 29.4.2019 @1300 miles. Link for the pics: https://cutt.ly/teslamodel3after1300miles <-- google drive link

Do you have more info when Tesla agreed to paid your painting ( bills, etc ) or emails ? Those could do as a evidence in here Finland & globally.

JUST FYI i have not driven gravel, dirt roads. Only tarmac & asphalt on summer tires ( original tesla michelin pilot sport 4 s )

Somebody from USA & Canada posted on TMC "Model 3Paint wearing off" on 20.3.2019 https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...lBO6RqOGD2hVSzd14qQRiRq3R-u5nEBPBwE5VAirTcsxk and now there is 16 pages of discussion about it.

What we have done:

1. Reclamated & complained to the Tesla store in Finland & canada.
2. Contacted goverment officials because tesla call this normal & tear wear after 1300 miles????
3. Put out global complain because tesla paint: https://nonono.com/case/tesla-group...de-unhappy-with-paint-quality-joni-savolainen
4. Contacted Tesla Model 3 owners globally and gather them together on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/359891901375063/ "Tesla Model 3 owners worldwide with paint issues"
5. Publish youtube videos with right hashtags if somebody tries to find out issues about paint:
6. Distribute the word on Twitter with hashtags # https://twitter.com/search?q=#teslapaintissues&src=savs

We are in bad situation and if tesla is not willingly to fix these we start our arbitration & legal methods to get restitution to customers.

I have paid over 95000 $ for Tesla Model 3 performance in Finland and now this not looking good. :(

BTW. Here is a video compilation from Model 3:s from Canada. :( Video pics are very bad.
& also there are USA videos:
BR,

Joni - Finland leftdoor.jpg 66337243_10219523018809253_7698419601779982336_o.jpg 61925787_10219268329442178_6152274964843069440_n.jpg 61925195_10219268332122245_2822695916165660672_o.jpg 61770817_10219268327242123_2529540608389808128_n.jpg

Last edited:

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Hi Man. Sorry that i come back to this post but i just founded it. Did you know that this issue is now widespread globally. We have had reports from Sweden, Norway, Finland ( 10-15% ) of all Model 3:s in country are affected with maybe wrongly cured & soft coat, germany, portugal, canada etc.

What was your miles & kilometers when you discovered the problem? What is you VIN ending? My is 224547 We are trying to pinpoint manufacture date when these have started. I got my model 3 performance @ Finland on 29.3.2019 and i started to notice weird things on painting @ 29.4.2019 @1300 miles. Link for the pics: https://cutt.ly/teslamodel3after1300miles <-- google drive link

Do you have more info when Tesla agreed to paid your painting ( bills, etc ) or emails ? Those could do as a evidence in here Finland & globally.

JUST FYI i have not driven gravel, dirt roads. Only tarmac & asphalt on summer tires ( original tesla michelin pilot sport 4 s )

Somebody from USA & Canada posted on TMC "Model 3Paint wearing off" on 20.3.2019 https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...lBO6RqOGD2hVSzd14qQRiRq3R-u5nEBPBwE5VAirTcsxk and now there is 16 pages of discussion about it.

What we have done:

1. Reclamated & complained to the Tesla store in Finland & canada.
2. Contacted goverment officials because tesla call this normal & tear wear after 1300 miles????
3. Put out global complain because tesla paint: https://nonono.com/case/tesla-group...de-unhappy-with-paint-quality-joni-savolainen
4. Contacted Tesla Model 3 owners globally and gather them together on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/359891901375063/ "Tesla Model 3 owners worldwide with paint issues"
5. Publish youtube videos with right hashtags if somebody tries to find out issues about paint:
6. Distribute the word on Twitter with hashtags # https://twitter.com/search?q=#teslapaintissues&src=savs

We are in bad situation and if tesla is not willingly to fix these we start our arbitration & legal methods to get restitution to customers.

I have paid over 95000 $ for Tesla Model 3 performance in Finland and now this not looking good. :(

BTW. Here is a video compilation from Model 3:s from Canada. :( Video pics are very bad.
& also there are USA videos:
BR,

Joni - Finland View attachment 27517 View attachment 27516 View attachment 27515 View attachment 27514 View attachment 27513
I applied sacraficial PPF when the car was fairly new and it has helped.

My more permanent solution, mud flaps, are discussed here: https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/mud-guards-for-gravel-and-winter-conditions.11601/

IMO: the issue is the need for actual factory mud flaps to solve this.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I applied sacraficial PPF when the car was fairly new and it has helped.

My more permanent solution, mud flaps, are discussed here: https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/mud-guards-for-gravel-and-winter-conditions.11601/

IMO: the issue is the need for actual factory mud flaps to solve this.
Do you agree that paint should able to withstand over 4 weeks usage? I think there are some big problems on the Tesla Paint shop and the paint is not "hard" enough.

Mud flaps. Yes they are needed but why did not Tesla implemented them to the design of the car?

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Do you agree that paint should able to withstand over 4 weeks usage?
If it is exposed to a constant stream of micro debris and/or sand at 100 kph, no.

Even the black plastic trim that runs between the wheel wells on the rockers is grossly sand blasted.

If that plastic can't take it, no way paint will take it.

Mud flaps. Yes they are needed but why did not Tesla implemented them to the design of the car?
They weren't included because the decision was made that "looks" are more important than function/durability.

I know the Model Y will have this corrected with mud flaps and a wider black plastic trim part running along the rocker.

Don't take my tack and tone as disagreeing with you.

I agree totally.

I have chewed thru sacrificial PPF and I am about to install mud flaps to mitigate the inherent design oversight.

I shouldn't have to do that sort of thing but I'm better off staying ahead of the situation:

DSC08839.JPG

The above shot is after 13 months and 28,000 kms. One can see where the PPF "missed". One can also see how sand blasted the black rocker trim piece is. The black dust layer on the white paint that sits under the rocker trim is because the area was soaked in "Rust Check" gelled rust spray 13 months ago.

After using rust remover (for the flash rust) and covering with "rust paint" (specifically designed to not require primer on bare metal). Not tidy, but the aim is to cover the metal. My mud flaps are supposed to arrive in a few days and will be installed over this (with another soaking of "Rust Check"):
DSC08841.JPG

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If it is exposed to a constant stream of micro debris and/or sand at 100 kph, no.

Even the black plastic trim that runs between the wheel wells on the rockers is grossly sand blasted.

If that plastic can't take it, no way paint will take it.

They weren't included because the decision was made that "looks" are more important than function/durability.

I know the Model Y will have this corrected with mud flaps and a wider black plastic trim part running along the rocker.

Don't take my tack and tone as disagreeing with you.

I agree totally.

I have chewed thru sacrificial PPF and I am about to install mud flaps to mitigate the inherent design oversight.

I shouldn't have to do that sort of thing but I'm better off staying ahead of the situation:

View attachment 27526

The above shot is after 13 months and 28,000 kms. One can see where the PPF "missed". One can also see how sand blasted the black rocker trim piece is. The black dust layer on the white paint that sits under the rocker trim is because the area was soaked in "Rust Check" gelled rust spray 13 months ago.

After using rust remover (for the flash rust) and covering with "rust paint" (specifically designed to not require primer on bare metal). Not tidy, but the aim is to cover the metal. My mud flaps are supposed to arrive in a few days and will be installed over this (with another soaking of "Rust Check"):
View attachment 27527
Mike i have to disagree on this that it is normal. I can say that other brands like Skoda, Mercedes, BMW does not have mudflaps on their cars and they withstand normally Finland roads.

My dad just bought Mercedes E200 and i looked the rockers, doors etc and they were like brand new. ( 2018, 18.000 km ) and i got issues in 2100 km. Does not seem right at all.

We will figure why does Tesla paint be like this and make Tesla pay to fix the issues.

Maybe we will make claim that they offer us model y:s exchange to the Model 3 performance because our list is big with defects on quality & paint. Why Tesla did not info customers that car paint is ****** and needs mudflaps + ppf beforehand?

That is not good ;(

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
my car has over 10,000 miles (17000 km) and just went out and looked at the rocker panels on both sides. There is not a single nick or chip on either side, behind the front or rear wheels.
With that said, I've not driven on gravel roads, but have gone thru a winter - where our roads are sanded in freezing temperatures, so it has driven over roads with things that could kick up to the panels.

Overall, I have a total of 3 visible, very small rock chips - one on the hood, one on the bumper and one on a mirror.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
my car has over 10,000 miles (17000 km) and just went out and looked at the rocker panels on both sides. There is not a single nick or chip on either side, behind the front or rear wheels.
With that said, I've not driven on gravel roads, but have gone thru a winter - where our roads are sanded in freezing temperatures, so it has driven over roads with things that could kick up to the panels.

Overall, I have a total of 3 visible, very small rock chips - one on the hood, one on the bumper and one on a mirror.
That is wonderfull to hear! When did you get your car and can i ask vin ending ?

We are trying to accumulate data points to understand when it started.

We have feeling that after q4 / 2018 produced.

Melinda can we have couple of photos?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That is wonderfull to hear! When did you get your car and can i ask vin ending ?

We are trying to accumulate data points to understand when it started.

We have feeling that after q4 / 2018 produced.

Melinda can we have couple of photos?
my car was delivered last September, vin 91xxx
although I don't think this is a timeline issue. IE, prior to picking up my car, I had rented a Model 3 (VIN 5xxx) a couple times, and I pointed out upon return to the owner that his rocker panels were pitted. he said he had just went on a long road trip that included multiple gravel roads (in the 100s of miles in length), and was sure it was from that trip.

I previously posted pix of my rocker panels - showing just my garage floor reflection. Should be within this thread I do believe.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
my car was delivered last September, vin 91xxx
although I don't think this is a timeline issue. IE, prior to picking up my car, I had rented a Model 3 (VIN 5xxx) a couple times, and I pointed out upon return to the owner that his rocker panels were pitted. he said he had just went on a long road trip that included multiple gravel roads (in the 100s of miles in length), and was sure it was from that trip.

I previously posted pix of my rocker panels - showing just my garage floor reflection. Should be within this thread I do believe.
So what it could be ? I have not driven any dirt & gravel roads in my first 1300 miles.

Bad patch of paint cure ? Bad process? Soft coating ?