Paint issues at only 190 miles?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Following up with a picture of my car in the same spot. I am very cautious about following too close or getting behind any trucks.
Thanks for sharing that picture @SoFlaModel3

What you show is what I would have expected to see at 18k miles. If my car was in this condition now I might have found it acceptable too.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
mine looks like this even after i’ve applied a ceramic. there have been times i had no choice but to be behind a gravel trucks but even without being behind them I’ve had issues... Also unfortunate that 495N to 95N is a terrible segment of highway and it seems dump trucks just dump gravel all over the road all the time due to the bumpyness of the roads and the construction in that region. With that said my other car has never had paint chip this easily or early and I drove this segment a lot in the past.
Thanks @mch

How many miles are on your car? Is the area as severe?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You didn't see that during pickup?

Honestly it looks like you rode over a freshly painted road stripe. Has happened to me before. Are those actual chips in the paint? Can you feel them with your fingernail?
@Needsdecaf, yes you can feel them. Both the larger eliptical spots and the smaller circular spots can be felt.

Rich Nuth

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I really don't think this is a paint problem. You are most likely seeing the result of small debris being picked up by the front tires and hitting the flare in front of the rear tire. Not much you can do about it except to cover with a protective coating. the model X has the same issue with the slight body flaring on the falcon wing doors fight at a the same location you are seeing things.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I really don't think this is a paint problem. You are most likely seeing the result of small debris being picked up by the front tires and hitting the flare in front of the rear tire. Not much you can do about it except to cover with a protective coating. the model X has the same issue with the slight body flaring on the falcon wing doors fight at a the same location you are seeing things.

Debris can cause issues like this, but that does not rule out the possibility of a paint problem. Improperly applied coatings are more susceptible to damage. My experience with Tesla has been great so far and I'm sure they will have insights when I bring it in for review.

I took delivery Sept 28th, and two areas in the front and rear that had paint bubbles the size of a fifty cent piece were pointed out by the Miami dealership on delivery. Since then, washing it myself, I have found three other paint issues on the mirrors, the sides and all the way up the right front column. My car will now be flatbedded back to Miami to fix it on their dime, but a major inconvenience, and not good advertising for the Model 3.

What's even worse, is when my fiancé went to Dania Florida for her delivery three weeks ago, her car had many similar issues. I specifically had her ask them if there were any issues on the car before we made the 120 mile trek across the Alligator Alley. Not only did they flat out lie to her, when we got there, the car barely had 50 miles on the car and they had the car for ten days and knew we were coming. As we were in the delivery area with other cars being delivered I looked at another Blue M3P like mine, and it had the same bad paint imperfections all over the front hood. I can't believe that they are getting away with this Sh*t. You pay $1,500 for premium paint, and get screwed with defective paint with no remorse. Now they have to take the car back to wet sand it, 120 miles away from us. This is clearly not an isolated incident!

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
the car barely had 50 miles on the car and they had the car for ten days and knew we were coming.
What do you mean here? If you mean on the odometer, I do not see how this is an issue. If you mean 50 mile range, I see the issue.

But they're fixing it? o_O

What do you mean here? If you mean on the odometer, I do not see how this is an issue. If you mean 50 mile range, I see the issue.
But they're fixing it? o_O
Well they say so, but it sure is taking a long time, as it’s not set up yet after numerous requests. Would you want that paint repair on YOUR car fax? They say it’s just a wet sand, but I don’t agree.

Maybe you missed the part we’re they flat out lied to my fiancé, before we made the drive, just to deliver another defective paint job! Clearly, it’s an ongoing problem with this car company. That was my point.

[mod edit: removed invective]

Last edited by a moderator:

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla's future customers - ordinary people - will not accept its current level of service. I wrote "service" since that will be a greater challenge than paint and other aspects of build quality. Tesla has lots of executives for engineering and production, but none for customer-facing operations that I can find. Musk clearly does not care, or he'd be sleeping in Service Centers and wherever it is that phones are (not) answered and emails are (not) returned. Or answered with wrong information.

Let's not be fanboys about this. Do not let Tesla off the hook on this situation. If Tesla does not survive future competition, this will be the reason.

If there is a VP of Customer Service, we need to find out who it is.

Let's not be fanboys about this. Do not let Tesla off the hook on this situation. If Tesla does not survive future competition, this will be the reason.
If there is a VP of Customer Service, we need to find out who it is.
Totally agree, after 37 years of driving Toyota’s, Mazda RX7’s and Lexus IS, I buy my first American car. This Tesla M3 Performance was almost 30k over any car I bought before, and I get not one, but now two cars in our garage that wouldn’t even pass for a demo car if it was any other car manufacturer coming off the assembly line....

I expected lesser quality than what I am used to going American, but I have seen better paint jobs on 2-3 year old used Kias priced at $15k, sad!

Last edited by a moderator:

mch

Country
Country
mine looks like this even after i’ve applied a ceramic. there have been times i had no choice but to be behind a gravel trucks but even without being behind them I’ve had issues... Also unfortunate that 495N to 95N is a terrible segment of highway and it seems dump trucks just dump gravel all over the road all the time due to the bumpyness of the roads and the construction in that region. With that said my other car has never had paint chip this easily or early and I drove this segment a lot in the past.
i took some pictures here: 6401BE61-4EA2-4BD4-8756-2050890B1BAA.jpeg 5EE46CD2-5409-4917-B737-2FA9887C1C35.jpeg

i’ve got about 4k miles. mostly highway. gyeon quartz ceramic applied didn’t seem to matter much. RWD LR for anyone curious. 6401BE61-4EA2-4BD4-8756-2050890B1BAA.jpeg 5EE46CD2-5409-4917-B737-2FA9887C1C35.jpeg

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After delivery I drove straight to PPF and tint installer. Whole car was paint corrected then Suntek self healing PPF and window tint applied. Zero paint chips. Costly but entirely worth the peace of mind. Having had many high performance cars I learned quickly after the first one that PPF was essential. Someone thinking a ceramic coating will provide any protection from rock chips is laughable. Ceramic coating is great for ease of cleaning but does nothing for impact protection. To the OP, don’t waste money on PPF at this stage....it’s too late. Drive the car and enjoy it. PPF is for peace of mind and you’ll never get the money back when the car is sold. Most people don’t give a crap about paint chips .... Tesla people tend to care more because they love the car...PPF doesn’t make sense from a money standpoint. Next time you get a Tesla or any car that you truly are crazy about...go straight in to drop it off for PPF.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Can someone explain why you would spend several thousands of dollars on bras and wraps etc? I would think of selling in 4 years the buyer would expect some normal wear and tear. Unless you’re keeping forever I don’t understand all the protection.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can someone explain why you would spend several thousands of dollars on bras and wraps etc? I would think of selling in 4 years the buyer would expect some normal wear and tear. Unless you’re keeping forever I don’t understand all the protection.
People want to prevent rock chips on their cars. It's about enjoying the looks of the car, and not so much about resale value. Some people are willing to pay for that.

There are other options though. For example, you could pay someone to perform a "paint correction" every couple of years, to fix up rock chips and swirl marks.