Paint issues at only 190 miles?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Washed my P3D last night. I was surprised to find dozens of white spots around the rocker panels. Every white spot in the picture is a spot where the paint is missing / defective / chipped off.

I love my P3D, but with only 190 miles on the clock, I did not expect to see issues like this so soon or as severe. Is anyone else seeing this problem? I also have similar issues in a few locations along the doors.

RR 03.JPG

RR 05.JPG

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you sit behind a dump truck on the highway? That’s really bad! I’m at 18,000 miles over 11 months and just have a few dispersed tiny spots.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Doesn't look good at all however that "dogleg" is always an area that gets pitted from chips thrown up from the front wheels. Aerodynamics plays a part in that as well. I always highly recommend if anyone is getting PPF to get that area covered to protect it.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you sit behind a dump truck on the highway? That’s really bad! I’m at 18,000 miles over 11 months and just have a few dispersed tiny spots.
@SoFlaModel3 - It certainly looks that way. I haven't spent any time behind dump trucks and do not go near or drive behind semis or trailers.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Doesn't look good at all however that "dogleg" is always an area that gets pitted from chips thrown up from the front wheels. Aerodynamics plays a part in that as well. I always highly recommend if anyone is getting PPF to get that area covered to protect it.
Thanks @TrevP

That's the frustrating part. I was preparing the car for PPF when I found the issue. It was going to be detailed before film install. Can I even install PPF over this poor of a surface? It's so bad you can feel indentations and raised marks on the surface.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For posts like this one, I look at the poster's profile to see where they live, for clues about their driving conditions. Alas, "USA" is not enough!
@ADK46 - I'm in Denver Colorado. The car has been driven only on paved streets. No gravel roads, no back country trails. Just the same paved streets we drive our other cars that have more miles but nowhere near the same results.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
but you drive on roads that have been sanded for snow?
@MelindaV, the DOT does treat our roads for snow and ice. A granular salt and magnesium chloride mix is primarily used. For high elevations and eastern plains where more extreme cold temperatures exist a sand salt mixture us used. I have not driven in the high elevations or eastern plains. And even if I did, with so few miles its hard to believe this would be a result.

Last edited:

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@MelindaV, the DOT does treat our roads for snow and ice. A granular salt and magnesium chloride mix is primarily used. For high elevations and eastern plains where more extreme cold temperatures exist a sand salt mixture us used. I have not driven in the high elevations or eastern plains. And even if I did, with so few miles its hard to believe this would be a result.
Sorry to see that!

It sure looks like impact damage, not corrosion damage or poor painting. I have some of the same pattern at the same location on my red Model 3 (multicoat notwithstanding), because the roads on the Big Island of Hawaii often have some lava gravel (very sharp!) on them, caused by utility and tourist vehicles getting on and off the edges of the road (the road base is always crushed lava, so the road edges are often just that).
But it took at least a thousand miles to collect the first few...

Just thinking out loud here:
Perhaps that's just the difference between your AWD and my RWD. My front tires are not driven, but yours are and under winter conditions would now and then spin momentarily (esp. with a Performance model and the crazy torque of the electric motors), each time throwing loose road material onto the car body. (It does not have to be sand or gravel intentionally dumped for winter driving; it's much more likely to be just bits and pieces from damaged blacktop.) And perhaps you did not get a similar issue under similar conditions with your previous cars because none had near the torque of the P3D.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
4000+ miles for my Dual Motor version driving on clean pavement, and don't have any chips on the side aprons.

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a couple of chips and I can recall the exact drives when they happened, sucks but it happens.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Following up with a picture of my car in the same spot. I am very cautious about following too close or getting behind any trucks.

1CB2B2F3-71D0-4B5F-AD4A-D2411214F836.jpeg

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Let's accept the possibility that HappyCloud's paint might be bad. Tesla has certainly had some difficulty in their paint line. Perhaps a paint shop can perform a meaningful test.

mch

Country
Country
Washed my P3D last night. I was surprised to find dozens of white spots around the rocker panels. Every white spot in the picture is a spot where the paint is missing / defective / chipped off.

I love my P3D, but with only 190 miles on the clock, I did not expect to see issues like this so soon or as severe. Is anyone else seeing this problem? I also have similar issues in a few locations along the doors.

View attachment 20322

View attachment 20323
mine looks like this even after i’ve applied a ceramic. there have been times i had no choice but to be behind a gravel trucks but even without being behind them I’ve had issues... Also unfortunate that 495N to 95N is a terrible segment of highway and it seems dump trucks just dump gravel all over the road all the time due to the bumpyness of the roads and the construction in that region. With that said my other car has never had paint chip this easily or early and I drove this segment a lot in the past.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You didn't see that during pickup?

Honestly it looks like you rode over a freshly painted road stripe. Has happened to me before. Are those actual chips in the paint? Can you feel them with your fingernail?