Paid Supercharging History on MyTesla

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Will they have an option to stop the charging at $2.00? This will bring back memories of when I was poor and couldn’t afford an entire tank. Plus then it would truly be mass market.

oey192

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Will they have an option to stop the charging at $2.00? This will bring back memories of when I was poor and couldn’t afford an entire tank. Plus then it would truly be mass market.
If they do I’m sure they’ll start charging you idle fees if you don’t move the car within 5 minutes (assuming supercharger is more than half full). It would probably be better if you could just ask to be notified when You’re approaching $X worth of charging so you can stop charging yourself. In that case you could stop charging remotely if you knew you weren’t going to get idle fees or you could go unplug and move your car if the supercharger was sufficiently busy

Country
Country
You should be pretty close to bringing back your good old memories even if you charge at optimal levels. Assumptions: Standard 50kwh battery. Minimum and maximum SOC @ 20% and 80%. Supercharging rate in FL $.13/kwh. Charging 30kwh at $.13/kwh will cost you $3.90.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just saw this new "History" option on MyTesla. It contains the paid super-charging session info for my Model 3.

View attachment 4986 View attachment 4987 View attachment 4988
Can you comment on the accuracy of this payment history versus the payment amount that the car displays after a supercharging session ends?

You You Xue has mentioned several times that the amount that shows up in his payment history for a given session does not always match the amount displayed in his car at the end of the session. I'm curious as to whether you've seen anything similar, and if so, how big the discrepancy was.

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can you comment on the accuracy of this payment history versus the payment amount that the car displays after a supercharging session ends?

You You Xue has mentioned several times that the amount that shows up in his payment history for a given session does not always match the amount displayed in his car at the end of the session. I'm curious as to whether you've seen anything similar, and if so, how big the discrepancy was.
It matched in our case while on a road trip.

RandyS

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In my case, I have used the supercharger twice with my 3. The first session was at 11:33 pm. The SC session didn't show in the car display, showed up on the website later as "no charge." The second session was just enough to get back home from a jaunt to LA in Redondo beach after starting full with 313 miles. The car said on the display that we took 10 kWh for $2.00, but the website said later that it was 11 kWh for $2.20. Interesting...

scprice-jpg.5004

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In my case, I have used the supercharger twice with my 3. The first session was at 11:33 pm. The SC session didn't show in the car display, showed up on the website later as "no charge." The second session was just enough to get back home from a jaunt to LA in Redondo beach after starting full with 313 miles. The car said on the display that we took 10 kWh for $2.00, but the website said later that it was 11 kWh for $2.20. Interesting...

View attachment 5004
Interesting indeed. How long was your first session that resulted in "No Charge"?

I'm curious to see what pattern may emerge from these types of discrepancies. If they aren't billing partial kWhs, the difference in your second session could be explained by something as simple (and easily fixable) as the car truncating decimals over .5 and the billing system rounding them up. Less easy to fix would be a case where the car and billing system are actually measuring two different quantities (i.e. energy added to the battery pack vs. energy delivered at the supercharger), potentially with some normalizing calculation that attempts to account for charging losses to bridge the gap... I hope Tesla didn't go with that approach, because that's just asking for trouble.

I guess the broader question is: when supercharging is billed by the kWh, where is that kWh measured? At the pack? At the charge port? At the supercharger? And is the car responsible for reporting supercharging time/kWh for billing purposes, or does the Supercharger network do this on its own based on the VIN that the car provides during the initial handshake?

Last edited:

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

The count is not always accurate. I have a pending case with CS right now for a discrepancy in one of my charging sessions as well.

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The count is not always accurate. I have a pending case with CS right now for a discrepancy in one of my charging sessions as well.
I'm guessing you opened a case with CS is because (a) you were overcharged rather than undercharged, and (b) the difference was more than 1 kWh / $0.20? (Though I promise I won't judge if it was only $0.20. :))

K-MTG

Country
Country

For me it was $13.something but they only charged me $13.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Lets remember that a fee for charging is something that is relatively new to Tesla, we should not assume that this is working perfectly at this point. I feel it is important to call Tesla out on these variances so they can make improvements and get it right

tfederov

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Kind of sort of off topic, I know Tesla bills us but I thought I read somewhere that a person had to go in and pay manually once the bills came in. Is there an option for them to just charge the card as needed?