PA House Bill 1392 - Proposal for $250/year tax on EVs

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Here is a link to some proposed legislation in Pennsylvania that would add a $250 component to our yearly car registration for electric vehicles:
https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdoc...y.cfm?syear=2019&sind=0&body=H&type=B&bn=1392

In my online searches on this topic, I also came across this PA policy roadmap, written earlier this year, that lays out a framework to increase the adoption of electric vehicles in the state:
http://files.dep.state.pa.us/Energy/OfficeofPollutionPrevention/StateEnergyProgram/PAEVRoadmap.pdf

It seems that the right hand and left hand are doing very different things here. Clearly, the proposed $250/vehicle tax does not encourage EV ownership. Although I understand that the road infrastructure needs to be supported, the $250 price tag seems disproportionate to me. And I think it deviates substantially from a gas tax, because it does not scale according to usage. The little old lady who only drives her EV to church on Sundays pays the same amount as the youngster burning up multiple sets of tires per year due to his high usage.

I am not politically astute and have rarely written to any government representative. Thinking about doing so for this topic. Here is the link to find out who your representative is:
https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/findyourlegislator/

Frully

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
As an outside observer I definitely see both sides - but I think the overhead with proving odometer readings and/or proving that the miles were put on in the local state is to onerous, so they have to pick an average 'road tax lost from gas sales' to charge every EV.

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I wonder if the 'wear and tear' by ever EV equates to the same by pickups and SUVs - the problem with these blanket taxes is perceived fairness. Also, even so I tend to favor not further discouraging EV purchases; environmental quality has a huge cost that is too often ignored

Caulin

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Why not just pay the tax during inspection? PA required inspection and mileage is recorded at that time.

regarding adoption of EVs. Was there a pa incentive for buying an ev? My neighbor who had a model 3 too said there was and he got 1k. But at time of purchase i thought it said EVs under 50k so mine wasn’t eligible. But his car was over 50k and they gave it to him.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Was there a pa incentive for buying an ev? My neighbor who had a model 3 too said there was and he got 1k. But at time of purchase i thought it said EVs under 50k so mine wasn’t eligible. But his car was over 50k and they gave it to him.
They've tweaked that program several times. I think they had bumped it up to $60k at one point.

atebit

Event Horizon II
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
When I lived in NC & had my Model S around 2014, the state imposed a similar tax on EVs. $200/year for BEVs & $100/year for hybrids.