Owning a Tesla far away from a service center

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
One of my only real concerns going into Model 3 ownership is maintenance. The closest Tesla service center to me is 3 hours across the boarder into Canada. If I want a service center in the states the closest is 4 hours away.

Unfortunately because I live New York, Tesla is prevented from building new stores and service centers by law so this won't be getting better.

My question is this: do any of you have experience owning a Tesla far away from a service center? How do you handle annual maintenance?

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The vast majority of maintenance can be carried out by Tesla Rangers in their service trucks that will come to you.
I have also seen folks who had Tesla come to their house and drop a loaner off and take their car on a flatbed.
In other words, hopefully you won't have to worry about making a big trip.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
What about the little annual items like tire rotation, cabin air filter, etc? I'm thinking the types of things that are included in the maintenance plan. Can these be performed by a local shop?

My assumption is that the Rangers would be cost prohibitive for things like that.

Nazar

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
this is a concern for me as well, at the moment the nearest is about 3000km away, but i think by the end of 2018 it will be about 350km away......

do service rangers travel that far or do they act independant of the service centre?
What about the little annual items like tire rotation, cabin air filter, etc? I'm thinking the types of things that are included in the maintenance plan. Can these be performed by a local shop?

My assumption is that the Rangers would be cost prohibitive for things like that.
not sure what happened above the quote (using phone now) maybe I didn’t post and just typed it (so i will leave it in)

In Australia you can use any mechanic that has a licence and shop, me personally i would use the tesla shop if i can

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I would anticipate that there would not be an issue with a local shop performing that type of maintenance.

You may just want Tesla for the annual inspections.

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I once lived about 80 miles from the nearest dealership/service center for the brand of car I bought (new). I will never, EVER do something like that again. If it's more than about 30 minutes without traffic, it's too far, at least the way I look at it.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I once lived about 80 miles from the nearest dealership/service center for the brand of car I bought (new). I will never, EVER do something like that again. If it's more than about 30 minutes without traffic, it's too far, at least the way I look at it.
I’m ~34 miles away from my local Tesla location via 3 highways. The good news, it’s 1 mile away from where I work :)

BobLoblaw

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is a good question...but I rest easy thinking of all the people who drive cars and live in rural areas and get by. I don't think it's a problem unique to Tesla owners, and I think Tesla has gone further than most manufacturers WRT this.

But I won't lie and say that it hasn't crossed my mind before as concern.

Headwind

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
ha ha ha, you beat me karen :D mine is 3000KM but at least it is by road :) i guess your hanging out for it to come (same as me)
Im ~200 miles. It definitely is on my mind.

By the way Nazar, Busselton is a cool town in a lovely place! Went there on a big trip visiting a lot of WA.

Even if it were a Tesla where they come to you? Seems extreme since it's likely a non-issue with the planned upgrades to the mobile service program.

Nazar

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Im ~200 miles. It definitely is on my mind.

By the way Nazar, Busselton is a cool town in a lovely place! Went there on a big trip visiting a lot of WA.
ya, i love it here :) you traveled a long way to see australia (WA) did you like it? there is a lot of space between towns here - many ppl cant believe how spread out WA towns are :)

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
ya, i love it here :) you traveled a long way to see australia (WA) did you like it? there is a lot of space between towns here - many ppl cant believe how spread out WA towns are :)
You know, it's kind of funny how much Australia is structured like Iceland ;) Roughly the same population density (2nd/3rd lowest in the world, only bested by Mongolia), population concentrated along the coasts, predominantly on one side, with a barren interior (yours "mostly" uninhabited, ours entirely uninhabited).

It certainly makes things interesting when you go for a long drive ;)

Nazar

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
You know, it's kind of funny how much Australia is structured like Iceland ;) Roughly the same population density (2nd/3rd lowest in the world, only bested by Mongolia), population concentrated along the coasts, predominantly on one side, with a barren interior (yours "mostly" uninhabited, ours entirely uninhabited).

It certainly makes things interesting when you go for a long drive ;)
you know, i never thought about it in those terms :grinning: although i must admit - i like it a lot better that it doesn't snow here :yum::laughing:
ive seen driving with ice on the roads and how easy it is to slide, looks very dangerous and extremely hard to control - my first instinct would be (i am use to slides on gravel) is "foot off the accelerator pedal" and steer accordingly..... but with a tesla and regen braking, this would be a concern for me on gravel..... must be a massive concern on ice roads? or does the computer compensate?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
my first instinct would be (i am use to slides on gravel) is "foot off the accelerator pedal" and steer accordingly.....
That would be the correct course of action.
but with a tesla and regen braking, this would be a concern for me on gravel..... must be a massive concern on ice roads? or does the computer compensate?
The anti-lock brake computers in use nowadays should detect the skid and deactivate regen if appropriate. At least, my Leaf will deactivate regen anytime the anti-lock brakes kick on.

Nazar

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
That would be the correct course of action.The anti-lock brake computers in use nowadays should detect the skid and deactivate regen if appropriate. At least, my Leaf will deactivate regen anytime the anti-lock brakes kick on.
thanks for the info :thumbs up: im sure tesla would do the same