Ownership transfers are “manual” and there is a big backlog

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Figured I’d start a thread on this especially as I know others are or will be going through this.

I requested an ownership transfer on February 7th and was told it would be completed in 3-5 days.

In 2 days it’ll be a month and still nothing. When you call and ask for a status update they can’t give you one other than saying it’s manual and there is a big backlog.

Not the end of the world, but starting to get annoying... :mad:

rsbell

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Figured I’d start a thread on this especially as I know others are or will be going through this.

I requested an ownership transfer on February 7th and was told it would be completed in 3-5 days.

In 2 days it’ll be a month and still nothing. When you call and ask for a status update they can’t give you one other than saying it’s manual and there is a big backlog.

Not the end of the world, but starting to get annoying... :mad:
Argh. Will be picking up tomorrow and will need to transfer to my MyTesla account. Hoping it doesn't take a month (or longer)!

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Argh. Will be picking up tomorrow and will need to transfer to my MyTesla account. Hoping it doesn't take a month (or longer)!
The joy of picking up tomorrow will far outweigh the temporary disappointment of a slow transfer back.

For me, I don’t want to inconvenience my parents with paid supercharging on an upcoming road trip even though ultimately it’s just a few dollars in the end.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The question is why are some people reporting it taking a few days and others weeks?
To clarify (and maybe this is why), transferring reservations is fast. It’s ownership transfers after taking delivery that are not fast.

Have you heard of any recent ownership transfers that were fast? It’s possible they prioritize actual sales...

LucyferSam

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The joy of picking up tomorrow will far outweigh the temporary disappointment of a slow transfer back.

For me, I don’t want to inconvenience my parents with paid supercharging on an upcoming road trip even though ultimately it’s just a few dollars in the end.
Rather than bother with a transfer I just put my credit card in as the main card on my dad's account, so the Supercharging is automatically charged to me. For service they send him a bill anyway rather than direct charge. Pretty sure the only thing that card gets used for is Supercharging and reservations or purchases via tesla.com.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
To clarify (and maybe this is why), transferring reservations is fast. It’s ownership transfers after taking delivery that are not fast.

Have you heard of any recent ownership transfers that were fast? It’s possible they prioritize actual sales...
Ah... I thought you were referring to people transferring a car to their account after purchasing on someone else's account. You mean if you purchased an already registered Model 3? You'd think it would be the same however. Not sure why one would get priority over another as far as Model 3 goes.

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hm, I'm in the same boat and have a trip next month that will require supercharging. While the ownership transfer is in progress, Tesla made it so I can access the car with my credentials in the Tesla app, but I forgot to think about where the charges for surpercharging will go. I think I will do the same as @LucyferSam and register my card on the account until the transfer is finalized.

BTW, it took them at least one week to get back to me that the transfer process was even started after I sent them the requisite documents. They'll have to find a better way to do this once they have half a million cars on the road! Lots of buying and selling between parties I'm sure!

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Rather than bother with a transfer I just put my credit card in as the main card on my dad's account, so the Supercharging is automatically charged to me. For service they send him a bill anyway rather than direct charge. Pretty sure the only thing that card gets used for is Supercharging and reservations or purchases via tesla.com.
I still want the transfer as the car is mine and should reflect it, but thanks for this temporary workaround solution!!!

Ah... I thought you were referring to people transferring a car to their account after purchasing on someone else's account. You mean if you purchased an already registered Model 3? You'd think it would be the same however. Not sure why one would get priority over another as far as Model 3 goes.
Wait that is what I’m talking about. My car was purchased using my dad’s “owner priority”. The car is registered with the state of Florida in my name and the financing is also just in my name. The part that’s lagging is getting it into my “MyTesla” account.

aquadoggie

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wait that is what I’m talking about. My car was purchased using my dad’s “owner priority”. The car is registered with the state of Florida in my name and the financing is also just in my name. The part that’s lagging is getting it into my “MyTesla” account.
Yep, I am in the same situation and taking delivery on Saturday. I guess it's not a huge deal to just use the dad's account for a while. Don't think I'm going to be supercharging anytime soon.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep, I am in the same situation and taking delivery on Saturday. I guess it's not a huge deal to just use the dad's account for a while. Don't think I'm going to be supercharging anytime soon.
It’s definitely not a big deal at all, so hopefully I didn’t make it seem like one. It’s just the last thing to check off my delivery checklist :cool:

TesLou

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just configured Monday on a family member’s owner priority account. Like SoFlaModel3, the registration, financing, and insurance info are all mine. But does what you’re saying mean I won’t immediately be able to use my phone as a key because it won’t be in my own MyTesla account?

aquadoggie

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just configured Monday on a family member’s owner priority account. Like SoFlaModel3, the registration, financing, and insurance info are all mine. But does what you’re saying mean I won’t immediately be able to use my phone as a key because it won’t be in my own MyTesla account?
As I understand it, as long as you can log into the app under the family member's account, you should be fine.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You have 2 options...

1) You can login to the app through your family member’s account to setup phone as a key

2) Apparently there is a short-term hack solution for phone as a key without a MyTesla account — I’m not sure how this work works since I log into my dad’s account right now

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You have 2 options...

2) Apparently there is a short-term hack solution for phone as a key without a MyTesla account — I’m not sure how this work works since I log into my dad’s account right now
I'm using option 2. When I requested transfer of ownership, Tesla made it so I can log in to the app with my credentials and see the vehicle, even though it is not in my myTesla account.

The main benefit is that I don't see notifications for my family member's Model S, and I won't need to re-login to to the app and set up phone key again once the vehicle is transferred. (Though neither is a big deal)

aquadoggie

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm using option 2. When I requested transfer of ownership, Tesla made it so I can log in to the app with my credentials and see the vehicle, even though it is not in my myTesla account.

The main benefit is that I don't see notifications for my family member's Model S, and I won't need to re-login to to the app and set up phone key again once the vehicle is transferred. (Though neither is a big deal)
Hmm. I may do this. I also received a reply from my Model 3 rep (a week after I asked the question. Great response time!) and he said "you can reach out to our Support team at 1-877-798-3752.
They will help you with the process of transferring the Model 3 to the right account."

I take delivery in 2 days, but I figure if I can get the ball rolling a bit quicker, every second counts. Maybe.

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmm. I may do this. I also received a reply from my Model 3 rep (a week after I asked the question. Great response time!) and he said "you can reach out to our Support team at 1-877-798-3752.
They will help you with the process of transferring the Model 3 to the right account."

I take delivery in 2 days, but I figure if I can get the ball rolling a bit quicker, every second counts. Maybe.
They asked me to send a copy of the registration paperwork in my name, so you might have to wait until after you've taken delivery .

BTW, they didn't ask if I wanted access to the car from the app using my credentials, they just did it. I guess they knew there was a big "backlog" (but how big can the backlog really be I wonder. Not like they've sold half a million cars yet!)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They asked me to send a copy of the registration paperwork in my name, so you might have to wait until after you've taken delivery .

BTW, they didn't ask if I wanted access to the car from the app using my credentials, they just did it. I guess they knew there was a big "backlog" (but how big can the backlog really be I wonder. Not like they've sold half a million cars yet!)
Transfers typically took a week and a half to two when I got my P85 form a private party and sold to a private party. I believe it is a lot of manual work and they said they have a huge backlog - meaning that they are short staffed for the transfers department. I see more transfers happening as an imminent refresh around the corner. A surge in Tesla used availability. Once AP2 gets features AP1 cannot perform with limited hardware, there will be even more transfers.