Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Ownership transfer question

Question 
7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  slacker775 
#1 ·
Hi, I’ve recently bought an imported Tesla Model 3 from the US here in Jordan from a 3rd party seller. The previous owner didn’t remove the car from his account.
I have complete ownership of the car with the necessary documents to prove it.
My question is: does the previous owner need to remove the car from his account first for me to complete the ownership transfer through Tesla‘s website? If so will Tesla contact him on my behalf or will it be removed automatically once I’ve submitted the necessary documents through Tesla’s website?
Thanks in advance

#5 ·
That's a different user. Though both were created days apart, are from Jordan, and have similar questions... weird.

Regardless, love your comment: "the car no longer exists, only the parts".

That's a very interesting proposition legally speaking. I don't see how it's legal for them to remove functionality (via software) after they've taken payment for the car. They can argue that it's in the name of safety all they want, but at the end of the day the vehicle needs to be able to (at the very least) be drivable. So the main screen can't be disabled, and they need to provide keys/access when legal ownership is verified, as well as a method to charge the batteries (not necessarily superchargers, just that they can't block AC home charging).

Blocking access to the app is fine (not needed to operate the vehicle), and so is denying supercharger access (any AC based charger/connector would work). So it'd be a, "hey, this vehicle is salvaged and therefore lost all warranty and access to OUR infrastructure, here's your keys and good luck with it.

Reactions: GDN and garsh
#4 ·
Tesla will still transfer ownership, but don't be surprised if they refuse you access to certain features like Autopilot, Premium Connectivity, Supercharging, or even access to the app.

Either way, you should contact Tesla via the web site to initiate transfer of ownership, and see what happens from there.

#10 ·
If I'm not mistaken, if a car is marked for salvage, it's no longer street legal until it's repaired and certified by a shop authorized to salvage vehicles. As far as the DMV - in the US anyway - is concerned, it literally is just a bucket of parts.
I just want to remind everyone that the OP never said the car had a salvage title. It's possible to sell an insurance totaled car as a standard title, especially outside this country. Sometimes an insurance company will total a car because it's repairable, but the owner wanted to be paid for diminished value.

That's pretty likely in fact, because it's not likely that Copart would be able to sell an undriveable wreck overseas.

#11 ·
Ah your right. Got a bit side tracked on the salvage bit. So if I’m not mistaken, under normal circumstances - and for simplicity, we’ll keep the sale in the same country - AP and/or FSD are supposed to stay with the car correct? Certainly any premium connectivity or unlimited supercharging may be considered non-transferable. If the vehicle changes countries, that could make AP/FSD transfer a bit quirkier. Not sure if any has reported either way with those scenarios. It certainly does kinda suck that you really would be somewhat at Tesla’s mercy for something like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.