Owners: did you see/drive M3 or buy sight unseen?

You bought your Model 3...

• After seeing one and/or sitting in one, but not test driving

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • After test driving one

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • 100% sight unseen

Votes: 12 48.0%

• Total voters

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's exactly how I bought mine, sight unseen.

Never saw it in person, so never got to sit, drive, etc.

I had only driven a Model S P100D once and rode in a MX. Otherwise, no experience prior to this M3.

And I would do it again. I LOVE THIS CAR! It's fantastic! No regrets!

(And before anyone freaks out about "non-current owner with M3 already" haha - I basically used my friend's unused priority status from their MX to get the M3. Bigger story involved, but the jist of it.)

Last edited:

LucyferSam

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's exactly how I bought mine, sight unseen.

Never saw it in person, so never got to sit, drive, etc.

I had only driven a Model S P100D once and rode in a MX. Otherwise, no experience prior to this M3.

And I would do it again. I LOVE THIS CAR! It's fantastic! No regrets!

(And before anyone freaks out about "non-current owner with M3 already" haha - I basically used my friend's unused priority status from their MX to get the M3. Bigger story involved, but the jist of it.)
I'd ridden in the S quite a bit, but only driven it a few times and test driven a P100DL. I suppose I had seen a 3 at the gigafactory, but only from a few feet away so no real sense of the interior. Having experienced the S arriving with only seeing a Tesla drive by in passing a few times I had zero worries about ordering the 3 with no more exposure than that, and have not regrets about doing so after driving it for a month!

Rich Nuth

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
We received our invitation about 3 weeks ago but held off configuring until we could guarantee that we wouldn't get delivery until March or later. In the meantime we were able to see a few sitting at the Denver service center. My wife liked the car, so we configured/ordered the car on the 17th of this month.

RiggerJon

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In Texas, a Tesla has to be paid for in full before it can be presented to the buyer. So mine was paid in full, never seen in person, with 100% trust that Tesla would deliver - and boy did they. We reserved another after the first week of ownership.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In Texas, a Tesla has to be paid for in full before it can be presented to the buyer. So mine was paid in full, never seen in person, with 100% trust that Tesla would deliver - and boy did they. We reserved another after the first week of ownership.
And a fine car it is! ;)

I drove 3 hours to see You You’s in Des Moines, Iowa during his tour. I’m certain it helped me squash some hesitation about the car...though looking back with 20/20 hindsight I nearly laugh at myself. Have no fear with this car, trust your gut. Also, ask any questions here, ask for pics, measurements, what have you... I’m sure many people here (myself included) will be happy to share and help people make an informed decision.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can go see one at showrooms around the country now. No test drives, but no charge to sit and try out the buttons.

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And a fine car it is! ;)

I drove 3 hours to see You You’s in Des Moines, Iowa during his tour. I’m certain it helped me squash some hesitation about the car...though looking back with 20/20 hindsight I nearly laugh at myself. Have no fear with this car, trust your gut. Also, ask any questions here, ask for pics, measurements, what have you... I’m sure many people here (myself included) will be happy to share and help people make an informed decision.
Speaking of no fear, I was trying to turn on autopilot less than a mile away from the delivery center as soon as I got onto the freeway... but it wouldn’t let me. I kept trying every time I got in the car drove around. Finally about 40 miles later I could and drove down the 91, 110 and 10 freeways through downtown LA to Beverly Hills for dinner, 95% if the time on autopilot, only taking the wheel for turns and stoplights. (And once in a big turn from the 110 to the 10 where the car almost ended up in the rail... lol) My wife was freaking out, but I’m fearless... In Elon we trust!

BobLoblaw

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just curious... having never seen, sat in or driven one, it's a little unnerving to just buy a Model 3 sight unseen... not that it will stop me, of course!!
I just visited the Century store with my wife, if you have any hesitation at all make the drive up to Seattle, I believe they have one there. My wife and I made the trek down to LA for a 3-day getaway from Kelowna, BC... a big part of the trip was to see the car. The biggest problem I found with sitting in and seeing the car in person is that the excitement level has now approached the insane. As a side bonus we saw about 8 "in the wild" and got a feel for how several colours look in person.

It would be worth the drive, trust me!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
... through downtown LA to Beverly Hills for dinner, 95% if the time on autopilot, only taking the wheel for turns and stoplights. (And once in a big turn from the 110 to the 10 where the car almost ended up in the rail... lol) My wife was freaking out, but I’m fearless... In Elon we trust!
Please don't do this.

Autopilot should only be used in situations where you would use regular cruise control. Use it on highways, preferably limited-access highways. Anywhere with stop signs or stoplights is really beyond Autopilot's current capabilities.

teslarob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The biggest problem I found with sitting in and seeing the car in person is that the excitement level has now approached the insane.
Yep, this exact problem is true. Being an insider, I got to see and drive the Model 3 long before I had mine delivered, and it made it that much more difficult to wait!!

Please don't do this.

Autopilot should only be used in situations where you would use regular cruise control. Use it on highways, preferably limited-access highways. Anywhere with stop signs or stoplights is really beyond Autopilot's current capabilities.
Technically, so long as they are using Autopilot correctly (hands on the wheel, always paying attention), I don't see it being a problem. No oranges jammed in the steering wheel allowed :eek:

PatrickM

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just curious... having never seen, sat in or driven one, it's a little unnerving to just buy a Model 3 sight unseen... not that it will stop me, of course!!
I agree. It's totally unnerving. I actually couldn't sleep the night before I drove down to get mine. I had seen it from the outside in person, but not the inside and I'd never driven one. I basically was awake most of the night thinking "this is a lot of money" and "I don't even know if I'll like the car".

But once I got there and I saw it, and I sat down, adjusted the mirrors and steering wheel and was walked through the car with the associate, I calmed down and as soon as I took it off the lot, I felt total relief. It really is an amazing car. It drives well, the screen and system work well, it feels great. It is truly an amazing car and worth the enthusiastic faith that we've all had. But, yeah, I can relate on the whole "what the heck am I thinking?!?" thing.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep, this exact problem is true. Being an insider, I got to see and drive the Model 3 long before I had mine delivered, and it made it that much more difficult to wait!!
Lucky you got to drive one before ordering! Agree, seeing it in person made the wait much harder! :D

ETA: We ordered ours sight unseen and with no test drives, but were lucky enough to see/sit in an early car as an insider later on.

BobLoblaw

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I basically was awake most of the night thinking "this is a lot of money"
I sure can relate to this. Even though we are fortunate enough to have the means, I can honestly say I NEVER thought I'd be entertaining the idea of spending this much on a vehicle. I remember clearly the first time I saw a Model S in person. It was my dream car - but I was at peace knowing that spending over $100k CDN was way out of my range. Well times change, careers progress, and good things happen - and now I'm looking at spending $75-80k CDN on a car. And you know what?

...I can't wait ;)

...even if it gives me heart palpitations