Outside temperature reading is higher than actual temperature

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

fmcotton

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The outside temperature shown on my screen is higher than it actually is. For example, this morning it was 10 degrees (F) outside but the car was showing that the temp is 18 degrees (F). It actually started as showing 22 degrees but gradually went down, after driving for 20 minutes, to show 18 degrees. I notice that it's usually off by 5 or so degrees.

Is this an issues with other drivers here?
Yes, mine s usually a minimum of 5 degrees over what the actual temp is outside. I was told by service center it is where they have it placed near the road and battery that warms up the sensor. I don’t know why they just don’t ditch the sensor and get the local temp like a smart phone does. The current sensor is useless.

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yes, mine s usually a minimum of 5 degrees over what the actual temp is outside. I was told by service center it is where they have it placed near the road and battery that warms up the sensor. I don’t know why they just don’t ditch the sensor and get the local temp like a smart phone does. The current sensor is useless.
I'd still rather have a measured temperature that is a bit off than a weather report from a local reporting station. For example, there are cases where I might want to know the temperature while I was inside, e.g., a parking garage (for example--can I leave this houseplant I just bought in the car without leaving climate control on?). Or driving through the mountains, although that's more for entertainment in watching the temperature go up and down with altitude changes.

Rbranch302

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The outside temperature shown on my screen is higher than it actually is. For example, this morning it was 10 degrees (F) outside but the car was showing that the temp is 18 degrees (F). It actually started as showing 22 degrees but gradually went down, after driving for 20 minutes, to show 18 degrees. I notice that it's usually off by 5 or so degrees.

Is this an issues with other drivers here?
My Model 3 is doing the opposite. It’s more than 85 degrees Fahrenheit in Houston in August and my Model 3 is showing 49 degrees Fahrenheit. Turned AC on an it was blowing heat although set to 72 degrees. Service appointment created. Houston is known for Hot Summers.

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Temperature is measured in the shade, so for most people who are OUTSIDE its never going to be the same. In the sun, you’re actually experiencing at least 10 degrees more temperature than in the shade.

Not really sure where the Tesla sensor sits, but it’s almost certainly going to be higher than the local reading. Now, it could be that when the car has been sitting and its not hot, then it could be much closer, but if it is warm, its going to reach sometimes many 10’s higher than what the in the shade local reading is. Every a hyperlocal reading is going to be different.

Historically, I found the tesla reading to be pretty close to in the SHADE temp plus some sun basking increase. Lately it has shown results that are MUCH higher, like 30 degrees higher than outside in the shade temp. Not sure why, or if maybe the sensor pickup location has moved (maybe the car actually HAS two sensors) or if they changed the algorithm or it is was just a parking anomaly.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Temperature is measured in the shade, so for most people who are OUTSIDE its never going to be the same. In the sun, you’re actually experiencing at least 10 degrees more temperature than in the shade.

Not really sure where the Tesla sensor sits, but it’s almost certainly going to be higher than the local reading. Now, it could be that when the car has been sitting and its not hot, then it could be much closer, but if it is warm, its going to reach sometimes many 10’s higher than what the in the shade local reading is. Every a hyperlocal reading is going to be different.

Historically, I found the tesla reading to be pretty close to in the SHADE temp plus some sun basking increase. Lately it has shown results that are MUCH higher, like 30 degrees higher than outside in the shade temp. Not sure why, or if maybe the sensor pickup location has moved (maybe the car actually HAS two sensors) or if they changed the algorithm or it is was just a parking anomaly.
Ref the temperature and shade thing, the actual device used is called a Stevenson Screen and is the standard used for collecting temperature data:

https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/wxfacts/The-Stevenson-Screen.htm