Outside Temperature Reading as "---"

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

dburkland

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anybody know where the outside temperature sensor in the Model 3 is located? I just noticed after getting the front passenger fender repainted the outside temperature on the display reads as "---". I have tried rebooting the car and also leaving it plugged into WiFi to no avail. Has anybody else seen this issue before and if so what was the fix? I scheduled a service appointment for next week just in case I'm the only one with this issue...

Thanks,

Dan

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good question, I have no idea but would lover to know this as well. When you figure it out please let us all know, good info!

Service Center will get you right as rain, don't sweat it

dburkland

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good question, I have no idea but would lover to know this as well. When you figure it out please let us all know, good info!

Service Center will get you right as rain, don't sweat it
Will do, hoping the other issues (Autopilot on navigation + lane change assist being unavailable) are resolved beforehand once the maps finally download!

dburkland

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks like the body shop forgot to plug in the front wiring harness when they reinstalled the bumper, I plugged that in today and it fixed the temperature sensor and fog lights. The ultrasonic sensors are still not working so will be hopefully get this taken care of this week.

dburkland

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Even after a few reboots the ultrasonic sensors (and thus Autopilot on Nav, Auto lane change, & summon) were still not working. I let the car sit for a few hours and all of a sudden everything is working again... Kind of interested as to why waiting a bit longer resolved the issue but overall happy to have the aforementioned functionality back (especially Autopilot on Nav).

Keydiver

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I am having the same issue the past few days, but, as far as I know, no one has had the front bumper off my car. ;)
Where did you find the connector that was unplugged?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Model 3 showing “- -“ for outside temp. Heater in cabin won’t produce heat from front vents. Back vents though produce heat. These two problems happened at the same time. I already checked the wiring harness behind passenger front wheel well and it’s connected. I have a service appointment next week, but I was wondering if anyone experienced the same issue and if so how they resolved it. I called Tesla and the only error they see is with the temp gague. I already performed a soft and hard reboot of computer. Also tried powering car down. Nothing fixed it. Any thoughts? Car has 9k miles, manufactured August 2018, LR dual motor. Thanks

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the same issue, but the wiring behind the front passenger side wheel is connected. The app also will no longer control the air in the car. Anyone else have similar issues?

Keydiver

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I am almost ashamed to admit, but the SC found my temperature sensor issue: a rat was buidling a nest under my wife's Model 3 and ate the sensor wire off. :confused::( I knew I had some wood rats out in my wooded area, but I didn't know they were looking for a new home. Fortunately, the SC comped me on the repair, so that was nice. Oh, and yes, I did buy some rat traps.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yikes, thanks for the quick reply. I live in the city and see rats daily in the alley where I park. This very well might be the cause....ugh. This has happened to me twice in the past in an older car. Rats chewed cables under the hood. Each time the repair was $400.

Keydiver

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Unfortunately, this repair involves removing the front bumper cover, as explained in the video above. The rat has also removed some of the insulating material under the car and started building a nest. :mad:

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the same thing after a headlight replacement. Noticed no temp and then the front sensors didn't beep. The cable was not plugged in. Quick easy DIY fix and worked immediately.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So this just happened to me on my way home from the Tesla service center, three hours away from my house. I called them on my way home, but they were closed. Overall a terrible experience at Mississauga Tesla. They had to remove the front bumper when they were fixing the alignment of the headlights.

I am rather competent with working on cars, and while I'm not scared of removing the front bumper, I would really prefer not to.

However, does anyone know if I simply remove the frunk plastic tub if I would have access to that connector?

dburkland

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So this just happened to me on my way home from the Tesla service center, three hours away from my house. I called them on my way home, but they were closed. Overall a terrible experience at Mississauga Tesla. They had to remove the front bumper when they were fixing the alignment of the headlights.

I am rather competent with working on cars, and while I'm not scared of removing the front bumper, I would really prefer not to.

However, does anyone know if I simply remove the frunk plastic tub if I would have access to that connector?
It’s easier than that, in front the front passenger wheel pull the black clips out and gently pull the plastic wheel well liner away. You should be able to get at the connector from there.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I ended up bringing it to the service center and they removed the frunk bin. They didn’t remove the front bumper. Underneath is the connector and a rat had chewed it. Cost me $65 in parts and $87.50 in labor. Overall $156.40 and I had to wait a week for the harness to be ordered. I drove the car in the meantime, but my heat wouldn’t work so I had to rely on my seat warmers.