Osborne effect unfolding before our eyes

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
In the past, I've held the opinion (as a passive observer) that the Model 3 is (as of 01 Jan 2018) a better car than the current iteration of the Model S.

Reviewing You-You's replies to Facebook posted questions during his trans-continental drive of his new Model 3, I came across this:

capture-png.4670

This is all "opinion", however this person owns a Model S and this person has stated this opinion in the middle of a long trip where numerous teething glitches have made themselves known.

IMHO, Tesla will not be able to keep up with demand for this product at this price point.

All good!!!!!!

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
IMHO even if they were the exact same price I'd rather have the Model 3. Better batteries, better motor, much more efficient, faster charging, same cabin size with more headroom. The only thing the S has over it is more cargo room but I'd rather have an X if I needed to haul cargo. Tesla wants to sell you on the S and X having more tech and being the "Flagships". Okay, so they have one extra LCD screen......and what else? Yes, Falcon Wings are cool and oh, lets not forget the self presenting door handles on the S. Besides those "trinket" items what else justifies double the price???

I'm sure the S and X will get a major update soon and have the newer batteries/motor along with interior and exterior updates. Until then the 3 is the better automobile all around, as long as you don't need a big car with enough trinkets to impress somebody!

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I expect Model S to get some “improvements” and a refresh soon! It’s biggest advantage is you can get it within 2 months ;)
That would certainly explain the strange lack of inventory vehicles of late... along with pushing custom orders... along with the fact that a custom Model S that I configure today is now marked for "March delivery" instead of the following month...

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My money is on a major interior refresh for S and X. To late for anymore anti-sell. Not so much the seats but door pockets, coat hooks, consul, cup holders and the entire dashboard/display (s?)

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My money is on a major interior refresh for S and X. To late for anymore anti-sell. Not so much the seats but door pockets, coat hooks, consul, cup holders and the entire dashboard/display (s?)
The HVAC and don’t forget the vanity lights ;)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was watching the TalkingTesla (Mel) delivery and review video earlier today and while he seems to be one of the existing owners that prefers the size of the Model 3 over the S/X, I still found it strange (a little 'really, like what?!") when he starts to compare the 3 to the S and starts off by saying "The S has more advanced tech than the 3..."
People keep saying that, but where exactly? Yes, (right now) it has SAS and Dual Motors that you can not immediately order on the 3 and is a hatchback, but don't think I would say by any stretch that it has the more advanced tech.

the 3 has:
a better center screen (even if 2" smaller)
better nav & maps
2.5 AP
spaceship worthy air vents
new battery design (presume if they invested the time/$ to create a new battery it is better than the 18650 design)

plus creature comforts (that are not tech...) like:
lit visor mirrors
'usable' cupholders everywhere
coat hooks
seatback pockets
frunk bag hooks
lowerable/raisable rear center seat headrest

ETA: the S does have the binnacle screen - but I don't think that makes it more advanced....

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was watching the TalkingTesla (Mel) delivery and review video earlier today and while he seems to be one of the existing owners that prefers the size of the Model 3 over the S/X, I still found it strange (a little 'really, like what?!") when he starts to compare the 3 to the S and starts off by saying "The S has more advanced tech than the 3..."
People keep saying that, but where exactly? Yes, (right now) it has SAS and Dual Motors that you can not immediately order on the 3 and is a hatchback, but don't think I would say by any stretch that it has the more advanced tech.

the 3 has:
better nav & maps
2.5 AP
new battery design (presume if they invested the time/$ to create a new battery it is better than the 18650 design)

lit visor mirrors
coat hooks
seatback pockets
frunk bag hooks

ETA: the S does have the binnacle screen - but I don't think that makes it more advanced....
I was scratching my head on that one as well. The only other “tech” is a power lift gate, but seriously the S doesn’t really have anything the 3 doesn’t have outside of a binnacle which isn’t advanced tech at all.

roflwaffle

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They could be taking some liberty with "advanced".

advanced

adjective
1. placed ahead or forward:
with one foot advanced.

2. ahead or far or further along in progress, complexity, knowledge, skill, etc.:
an advanced class in Spanish; to take a course in advanced mathematics; Our plans are too advanced to make the change now.

3. pertaining to or embodying ideas, practices, attitudes, etc., taken as being more enlightened or liberal than the standardized, established, or traditional:
advanced theories of child care; the more advanced members of the artistic community.

4. far along in time:
the advanced age of most senators.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

the 3 has:
better nav & maps
2.5 AP

lit visor mirrors
coat hooks
seatback pockets
frunk bag hooks

I totally agree with you on all these points but there is one very nice thing about the S currently that I hope will come around in the 3 but it's not there yet. The amount of control you have of the car via steering wheel controls is pretty incredible. With software updates I hope the 3 eventually gets this level of "tech" because I really like that feature. However if Tesla makes a decision to keep more things like that on the S/X and not activate them on the 3, well, there is you huge tech advantage on the "flagship" models.

Last edited:

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
@Mike Land - I've just assumed (maybe naively) that more functionality would be coming to the buttons... like increasing/reducing speed for TACC/AP just for one example.
Let’s all hope so. It does still feel ‘safer’ to maximize whatever you can control from the steering wheel, how little ‘advanced’ it is... :D

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I assume the same and hope it's the case. I would love to see the right side control speed (up/down), following distance (left/right), and push in to set/disengage cruise control. Heck, you could even double tap it for EAP. They could easily give these controls all the same functionality of the S/X, however they could also just as easily not. I'd expect any other auto manufacturer NOT to give the smaller car all the same bells and whistles. But I thank God that Tesla is NOT like ANY other auto manufacturer and I think they will improve the functions greatly over time.

Last edited:

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

the 3 has:
better nav & maps
2.5 AP

lit visor mirrors
coat hooks
seatback pockets
frunk bag hooks

Ok, we all know what is going on here, this is product marketing 101. Tesla has to say the Model S is more advanced than the Model 3 to rationalize the huge price premium on the S and hopefully they will actually make this happen in the next iteration of the Model S sometime this year, but as we stand here today this is simply an "alternative fact"

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

the 3 has:
better nav & maps
2.5 AP

lit visor mirrors
coat hooks
seatback pockets
frunk bag hooks

Don't forget the bluetooth door locks!! I know it's small, but to me it's a HUGE deal! It's one of the primary reasons I wouldn't want a Model S over a Model 3. I'm looking forward to the day where I officially don't have to carry around a single key or fob! Just my phone and my wallet (and even the wallet will be a thing of the past soon). I know some people are pissed about it, but I'm hoping in a couple years every car will come with this feature. BYE BYE keys!