Ordering a Model Y

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

EVmatch: the Airbnb of EV charging.

Needsdecaf

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My brother wound up canceling his order.

awkward james corden GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
2011A633-98D3-4A36-9A26-3371CCBAA1A5.jpeg

Here she is. Must admit, the build quality is AMAZING, especially when compared to my 3 from 2.5 years ago.

Went over it with a fine tooth comb and couldn’t come up with anything. On the way home heard a rattle from the passenger seat that turned out to be just the seatbelt hitting against the side of the seat (fixed by moving the belt a bit). We’re absolutely thrilled with the Y.

Autopilot seems to be the same without radar (though only up to 75mph). The Y is for my wife who’s terrified of autopilot/FSD, so I don’t see it getting much use anyway.

Vettepartz

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Nice looking car. Glad to hear that the build quality is very good. I am jealous, as I ordered mine a bit earlier than your order date, but do not have anything yet except a VIN. Enjoy it.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sadly, white was a VERY bad idea. After driving just 80mi the entire front bumper is completely splattered with bugs and they stand out A LOT. Guess we'll be getting one of those monthly car wash subscriptions.

Though the two do look really nice next to each other.

IMG_0859.png

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Love the mats. How do they perform for the water drain? How often do you clean them?

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Love the mats. How do they perform for the water drain? How often do you clean them?
They don't actually have any drain mechanism (only complaint I have really). They have a unique design in that the outer edge is a ballon that takes in a good chunk of the water so that it builds up a wall so high that no water gets spilled over. On particularly snowy/rainy days I just drag them out just past my garage door lip and lift slightly from the back to drain out all the water.

Last edited:
Reactions: Madmolecule

Needsdecaf

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sadly, white was a VERY bad idea. After driving just 80mi the entire front bumper is completely splattered with bugs and they stand out A LOT. Guess we'll be getting one of those monthly car wash subscriptions.

Though the two do look really nice next to each other.

View attachment 38795

Don't do the car wash subscription.

Get your car ceramic coated by a reputable detailer. It will make washing them off much easier.

And yes, this is 100% why I won't buy a white car, much less a white Tesla, in TX.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Don't do the car wash subscription.

Get your car ceramic coated by a reputable detailer. It will make washing them off much easier.

And yes, this is 100% why I won't buy a white car, much less a white Tesla, in TX.

Got a quote for ceramic coating. Lets just say I can do lifetime car washes for the same price!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Got a quote for ceramic coating. Lets just say I can do lifetime car washes for the same price!
I agree with you on this. If you pay someone else to do the ceramic coating it just wouldn't be worth it in my book. However, ceramic coatings have come a long way and are pretty easy to do at home. If you don't mind putting a little work into it - a long couple of afternoons prepping and then applying, it is well worth it. The coatings on my cars are now 3 years old and they still wash easier than any previous "waxed" vehicle I ever owned. Water still beads.

I'm thrify (cheap) - I wouldn't pay the prices for someone else to do it, and lord knows the sweat equity about killed me in the TX summer (Chicago isn't much different) but I don't for a day regret getting the coating on the cars.

• Agree
Reactions: JWardell and garsh

Needsdecaf

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

And one will leave you with swirled as hell paint and possibly damaged wheels.

Also, you don't need to have someone do it for you. See here. About $100 and it works. You won't get the paint correction first, but this is a high quality coating, and is very easy to apply. Just make sure you properly decontaminate the car first.

Reactions: GDN and shareef777

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I agree with you on this. If you pay someone else to do the ceramic coating it just wouldn't be worth it in my book. However, ceramic coatings have come a long way and are pretty easy to do at home. If you don't mind putting a little work into it - a long couple of afternoons prepping and then applying, it is well worth it. The coatings on my cars are now 3 years old and they still wash easier than any previous "waxed" vehicle I ever owned. Water still beads.

I'm thrify (cheap) - I wouldn't pay the prices for someone else to do it, and lord knows the sweat equity about killed me in the TX summer (Chicago isn't much different) but I don't for a day regret getting the coating on the cars.

Didn’t realize that ceramic has gotten to a DIY level. Mind sharing what product you used so that I can give it a go?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Didn’t realize that ceramic has gotten to a DIY level. Mind sharing what product you used so that I can give it a go?
Looks like @Needsdecaf just posted one and I used Gyeon. It looks intimidating and reads to be intimidating, they scare you about getting the paint corrected first and I will attest you can lock things in under the coating. However, I invested $150 in a buffer and poishing compound and went over the car doing my home version of the paint correction when the car was new. I believe I've got at least a 95% to 98% quality of a professional version. I'm very happy.

https://gyeonquartz.com/ I'm guessing I have $400 invested with my dual action buffer included. I'd have to go review that figure. However I've done 3 vechicles with it. I did my 3 year old pickup before I touched the Tesla. I was very very impressed with what I had accomplished. The pickup sat on a dealer lot for 14 months before I even bought it and never spent a single night of its life in a garage.

Autogeek has a very nice review on what to do to clean a car and they have great videos including those applying the Gyeon product. https://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

Finally - this is a link to my write up and pictures of my pickup and the cars. https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/nikos-and-silent-thunders-excursions.7240/post-111620

• Helpful
Reactions: shareef777

Needsdecaf

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Detailers are idiots. Or the public is gullible. Either way, what's missing is the real value proposition.

The coatings are pretty easy to use. The pro-only ones flash quickly and are hard to level. And if you don't get them off, you must polish them off. There's a small spot on my trunk right by the taillight that you'd never see, but when I wash the car I can see the spot where it flashed before I leveled it. Looks like a perma-smear.

But the real work is in the paint correction before it's done. That can be done, as GDN says, to a certain level by your home pro guy. I'd argue your 95% plus number is a bit optomistic. It's probably more like 80% of what a pro could do but even that 80% would blow most people's socks off. The closer you get to 100% (even pro detailers rarely get to 100%) the more time it takes and the more money it costs. There's no substitute for labor hours and if you really want the paint jeweled, you're talking a three-step process with multiple machines. But again, a single step to 80% looks fantastic and is MORE than adequate for a daily driver.

Or you can simply decontaminate and then coat and be better than almost all the cars out there. Without paint correction you're not going to be as good as if you were to get those scratches out. But it'll still look fantastic. And it'll be way easier to clean.

I simply can't understand why detailers don't market this way. Maybe they're smarter than I give them credit for and the average public hears "Ceramic" and thinks "coatings are expensive" when they really aren't. It's the paint correction that takes the most time and is therefore the most expensive part.

Reactions: GDN

Vettepartz

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I have looked at different videos where they compare different brands of ceramics, including ones only sold to detailers, and the one that stands out is probably the easiest and cheapest. It is one made by Turtle Wax and goes under the brand name of 'Hybrid Solutions'. My neighbor used it on his Jeep about a year ago and it is still holding up very well.

One video shows a car hood divided into 8 sections and each has a different coating applied. They washed it then hit it with brake cleaner, then sprayed with water to see which still had the beading effect. Some were almost washed off, Then they hit it with engine degreaser and sprayed again. When all was said and done, the Hybrid Solutions seemed to come out the best. I am not trying to promote a product here, but just saying what I have seen.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
A week in with the Y and I gotta admit, it blows the 3 away. Didn't even think it was possible, but the ride is so much smoother and the interior way quieter. If only Tesla allowed FSD transfers I'd be trading in my 3 for a MYP right now 😥

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
A week in with the Y and I gotta admit, it blows the 3 away. Didn't even think it was possible, but the ride is so much smoother and the interior way quieter. If only Tesla allowed FSD transfers I'd be trading in my 3 for a MYP right now 😥
Guessing that there is some crazy accounting mess or Elon just says no for some reason, but since they've really have delivered no real FSD they should allow it to be transferred - maybe even charge a stupid $1K fee or something - we'd likely jump on that too. Our plans are to trade the RWD for a Y, but no hurry and I plan on waiting on Giga TX for the upgraded battery, or if the tax credit popped back up and would run out before TX comes online then I'd get inline for that handout, but I'm quite certain we won't pay $10K for FSD.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Guessing that there is some crazy accounting mess or Elon just says no for some reason, but since they've really have delivered no real FSD they should allow it to be transferred - maybe even charge a stupid $1K fee or something - we'd likely jump on that too. Our plans are to trade the RWD for a Y, but no hurry and I plan on waiting on Giga TX for the upgraded battery, or if the tax credit popped back up and would run out before TX comes online then I'd get inline for that handout, but I'm quite certain we won't pay $10K for FSD.
Same here, if a credit is made available I’d hop on a MYP instantly without FSD.

Needsdecaf

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Im sure you’d find a 2021 refresh model 3 the same. Probably quieter.

Also, another data point why FSD purchase is a bad idea.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Im sure you’d find a 2021 refresh model 3 the same. Probably quieter.

Also, another data point why FSD purchase is a bad idea.

Think the higher car and coming from the stiffer shocks of the perf is what’s making the biggest difference. Would love to try a non perf 2019 to compare.