Ordering a Model 3 Key Fob

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Allan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got my software update that included

KEYS

Your car now supports key fobs, which are available for purchase from Tesla...

I can't find a thread on here about them and nothing on Tesla.com either. I very much want to get one or two of these but it appears that they might not really be available yet. Does anyone have any further information??

Karl Sun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Purchase? Knowing Tesla's current pricing on "accessories" they will be $400 each (plus programming).
The thread on the subject indicated current owners would gt two (2) free.

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Purchase? Knowing Tesla's current pricing on "accessories" they will be $400 each (plus programming).
I was at the Scottsdale Service Center yesterday and they told me the price would be $268. They did not know when the fobs would be available.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I have no use for a fob, but won't turn down free ones.
How can Tesla stay in business and compete with the big dogs of auto manufacturing if they run their business like a state-owned communist enterprise. Next thing you know, people will expect them to give free model 3's to low-income people.

I'm not directing this at you Rick, just responding to the idea that accessory key fobs should be provided for free. I have no use either, my phone is always in my pocket when I leave the house and I have a card for each Model 3 in my wallet in the very unlikely event that my phone dies or is lost/stolen. Sometimes I go out to the carport to get something out of the car and forget to bring my keys (oops, I mean phone). I just swipe the back of my wallet across the B pillar and I'm in like Flynn. I have two Model 3 key cards stacked in my wallet so I can open either car with the same easy motion.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
do you have a link for that?
I have no need for one or even two. When I get my two free ones, who can I send them to?
Are we even sure existing owners will get 2 free ones? Who knows if they will change their minds.
everything Tesla has announced on this state the fobs will be for purchase. So don't expect any for free.

Ericb

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
do you have a link for that?

everything Tesla has announced on this state the fobs will be for purchase. So don't expect any for free.

I can't imagine them giving them out for free, and I hope they don't. They're unnecessary and a wasted expense to give out for most people that wont even need them. Even if they cost tesla $10 to make and they give 2 to each model 3 owner, that's at least $2million. That's be very generous and saying they only cost $10 total, each. I got my car in july, and once they fully activated the app on my phone I haven't had any issues with the phone key.

96s46p

Country
Country
I was at the Scottsdale Service Center yesterday and they told me the price would be $268. They did not know when the fobs would be available.
That's not reasonable and a very odd sounding price. They probably had a bet to see if it would end up on a forum.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I can't imagine them giving them out for free, and I hope they don't. They're unnecessary and a wasted expense to give out for most people that wont even need them.
And one more extraneous device for Model 3 owners to stock/replace batteries for. I like using technology to simplify my life but, all too often, it just creates more hoops to jump through. With the purchase of 2 Model 3's, we are getting rid of 4 key fobs that needed new batteries, on average, every 18 months. When Tesla releases the Tesla Pick-up, we will get rid of two more fobs and our cell phones will open/lock all of our four-wheeled vehicles. Fortunately, my motorcycles don't need key fobs! But they have keys and Musk said Tesla will never make two-wheeled vehicles.