Ordered a Y, have a few USB questions...

Milo

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Want to be able to charge an Android with USB-C and an iPhone, while also running TeslaCam. Have a setup for my Model 3, but understand the Y is a bit different. Can anyone give me direction on this?

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Same rules, except the the Model Y has 1 USB-C and 1 USB A under the front phone holder and 2 USB C for rear passengers.

Phone holder now includes wireless charging for 2 phones by default.

To use a thumb drive, you will need a USB 3 splitter.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

AutopilotFan

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Want to be able to charge an Android with USB-C and an iPhone, while also running TeslaCam. Have a setup for my Model 3, but understand the Y is a bit different. Can anyone give me direction on this?

Much simpler, if your iPhone supports wireless charging. The Model Y comes standard with a wireless charging pad in the front. The charging pad connects to the car's single USB-A port.

If your USB drive can support USB-C then you can plug it right into the open USB-C port in the front. If not, use a splitter on the USB-A port. Just make sure you plug your USB drive into the splitter half that does a data connection. The wireless charger is just fine using the non-data half. (That's how I currently have it configured.)

If your phone doesn't charge wirelessly, you can use existing USB-A to Lightning cables if you put a USB-C male to USB-A female adapter in the front USB-C port or either of the rear ones. Those are sometimes called "OTA adapters". Use the front port if you want your car to be able to see the data in your phone, but Bluetooth is what will connect your phone to the car's sound system.

Let me know if you want an Amazon link to the ones I bought.

TLee

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
My Model Y USB configuration seems different than what some of you are describing. Yes, there's one type-C and one type-A port in the front center console, but the wireless charger is using the type-C port and the type-A is open. I'm using the type-A for sentry cam.

The Tesla Model Y wireless charger doesn't seem to work that great. My wife's iPhone XR doesn't work well at all on it and my iPhone 11 Pro is only slightly better. Same problem confirmed by the DÆrik Youtube channel.

I ordered the Jeda USB hub 3 months ago. Still waiting.