• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Did your M3 delivery go off without a hitch?

• Yes, on time as originally scheduled

Votes: 44 42.7%
  • Yes, but after at least one Tesla-caused delay

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • No, I was supposed to get my M3 already and am now back to waiting :-(

Votes: 37 35.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Honestly, the price is the last thing I would complain about their trade in. Yeah, it's low. But it's not markedly lower than other dealers would offer. I get that they don't really want to deal with used cars. They have made that clear. But there are benefits to trading, rather than selling outright to third party or to CarMax, etc., especially if you live in a state that offers sales tax reduction on the value of your trade. In my case, even though my trade was lower than some dealers, the amount of tax saved more than offset that. Plus, there's no dealing with a third party and having to pay off a loan and wait for a title. Or in the case of CarMax, etc., there's no worry about having to be without a car for a certain period of time while you wait for your potentially delayed Tesla order (which I get, it happens, I'm not mad, but trading your car to Tesla means that it's not an issue).

It's more so the way they handle it trade ins that irks me.

First off, don't give me the jive about not being able to produce a quote on my trade until I order a car. That's bogus. You want to quote me low to scare me off, fine. But don't more or less refuse to give me a quote.

Second, if someone has a payoff on their car, have a clue of how to handle it. Don't tell the customer to call for a payoff amount. That payoff amount is invalid if the payoff is coming from a dealer. The call must come from the dealer / manufacturer doing the buyout.

Third, if you are having difficulties figuring out the above process do not, under any circumstances, suggest to the customer that they should seek an alternative to trading in their car with Tesla and try to wriggle out of the process when the deal is signed and the delivery date is days away.

Fourth, understand the state you are taking a trade on. If it impacts sales tax, understand that. And don't argue with the customer who has done it before, multiple times.

Fifth, don't send them the incorrect paperwork for their trade in. Twice.

Sixth, don't lose said paperwork and ask the customer to send it again.

Seventh, don't fail to complete all the necessary paperwork with the lienholder on the trade in so that the lienholder calls the owner, who has not had the car for 60 days, demanding payment or they will be sent to collections.

Now I'm not saying that all of these things happen on every trade in. But I've heard a lot of them happening to people here in Texas both here and on my Houston area Tesla group. And, every single one of those happened to me. Tesla needs to get their act together, at least in Texas. I get that they "don't want to be in the used car business" because they have to auction the cars off. But to me, that' easy! Just price the cars accordingly and then sell in bulk. No dealing with marketing, having the cars on the lot, etc. They are leaving money on the table, but eliminating a lot of hassle. I get it. But the only thing that should result in is a low trade in price. Not the experience above (and from others).

I'm hard on Tesla because I want them to succeed, and this is not a difficult process. The actual building of the cars is hard. Taking cars on trade is easy!

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
maybe because my trade in was paid off, but mine went off without any issues and exactly as expected. I even got a better price from Tesla than CarMax for it. (just to say, not everybody has issues with the Tesla trade-in process)

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
maybe because my trade in was paid off, but mine went off without any issues and exactly as expected. I even got a better price from Tesla than CarMax for it. (just to say, not everybody has issues with the Tesla trade-in process)
Can Tesla sell direct in WA? That could be the difference. TX seems to be a bit of a hot mess.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well I DID say "watch this space", so here's the result:
They had no explanation for reneging on their original offer, but said they'd accept a CarMax appraisal. So I went on-line, took a bazillion photos, answered their questions, and got one. Whereupon Tesla said I had to go to an actual CarMax store for one. Luckily there's such a store in town, and they were kind enough to look at the on-line appraisal and the car, then issue one, which Tesla (later) accepted and they gave me a $10,000 trade-in. Today, on the eve of 6 weeks after placing the order, we drove 2 hours south (in the snow) and collected a black one. Drove it back in increasing snow. It drank quite a bit of juice (hard to keep it at a 'reasonable' speed), so I took it to a Supercharger (I have a 2,000 mile credit from a referral) and filled it back up. Not at all bad, says I.

keify

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Ordered a Model X on Dec. 19th with a scheduled delivery of Dec. 30th.
Finance department has multiple people answering emails only, no way to contact them with questions about loan approval, etc.
Get past that and financing stuff getting done.
Appointment rescheduled to 31st by me to allow payoff of existing loan to update.
Multiple calls and texts from Tesla to confirm my order except for the new sales/delivery guy that apologizes my vehicle hasn't been shipped and it will cost $4000 to have it shipped from New Jersey to Illinois.
This means I'll miss the planned pick up date of Dec. 31st as well as the tax incentives.

They are sorry but they don't discount or do really anything other than offer a different trim version from my order or they offer to let me pick it up in New Jersey to drive back on teh New Year's Eve.
WOW!!! So considerate of Tesla.

Order cancelled, they certainly don't go out of their way to make the purchase experience feel good.

Might order a car anyway and then try for 7 days and get my full refund.

It's sad that they have all these people involved and nobody knows what the other person is doing.
I'm very disappointed as this was to be for my 50th Birthday and now I'm not sure I want to deal with a company that doesn't provide better customer service.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Finance department has multiple people answering emails only, no way to contact them with questions about loan approval, etc.
Appointment rescheduled to 31st by me to allow payoff of existing loan to update.
Multiple calls and texts from Tesla to confirm my order except for the new sales/delivery guy that apologizes my vehicle hasn't been shipped and it will cost $4000 to have it shipped from New Jersey to Illinois.
This means I'll miss the planned pick up date of Dec. 31st as well as the tax incentives.

They are sorry but they don't discount or do really anything other than offer a different trim version from my order or they offer to let me pick it up in New Jersey to drive back on teh New Year's Eve.

Order cancelled, they certainly don't go out of their way to make the purchase experience feel good.

It's sad that they have all these people involved and nobody knows what the other person is doing.
I'm very disappointed as this was to be for my 50th Birthday and now I'm not sure I want to deal with a company that doesn't provide better customer service.
Well, welcome to the forum, happy birthday, and sorry to hear of your experience. Sadly it’s not totally unique. There is definitely disorganization within, and the lack of communication with you, the customer, is a fundamental problem. Tesla the company drives some of us to the brink of insanity sometimes, but I end up forgiving them each time because of how much I like their products.

To me, the logical thing would be for them to go forward with selling you that specific car after the new year, but to discount it by the tax credit you will be losing. But perhaps they are not offering that right now because maybe they are hoping for a last minute sale of it in its current location. The price might reduce anyway as soon as the new year rolls around, at least it did last year when the tax credit cut in half.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree with every word by @Bigriver. If customer service is an imperative, then Tesla is not for you yet. The cars are superlative and override the poor customer service for many of us. But I think many of us are whistling in the dark hoping and praying that nothing goes wrong with our cars before Tesla improves customer care.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

End of the quarter, end of year, end of rebates, ordering after the expected delivery timeline isn't the way to make sure that you get timely delivery. It's one of the worst times to order a car.
Order for delivery next year and you will probably have a happier experience.

Scanyou

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I ordered an M3 SR+ on Nov 27. The wait was stated as 2-4 weeks from the time of order on their website under my account. I still have no VIN or date of delivery with one day left to qualify for the federal incentive. Looks like I can kiss the incentive goodbye. The difficult thing is watching people picking up their M3s who ordered way after I did. It would have been nice if there was any communication from Tesla during these five weeks of waiting.

bala99

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Just wanted to share my experience with Tesla's delivery on Model 3. I was driving an Audi Q5 and due to an accident (for no fault of mine) the car got totaled and decided to use the opportunity to switch to a fully electric vehicle. Tesla was my first choice. The 2 month wait time was a big issue for me as I would need to go with a rental car for the duration. But decided, it was worth wait. Booked one in October and was told it would be available around 6-8 weeks. When the VIN was sent, I wasn't in town. I arrived a day after their max hold time of 3 days. I requested them to have the vehicle be delivered to my daughter in my absence. But they wanted me to be there. So I had to let go of the vehicle and get back in the waiting list. I was told that I wouldn't be put back in the conventional queue but would be on priority list and the wait for that would be around a week. So, I extended my rental for that period. On 24th Dec I was notified that I should be prepared for a delivery on 28th Dec. But never heard from them till 28th when they notified that they didn't have a vehicle for me and it would happen on 30th instead. Never heard anything on 30th as well. I tried calling them several times and got no definite response. One of their representatives said it could be delivered in a day or 2 or a week or 2 weeks. Great! I went to the Fremont Hub Tesla center and talked to the front desk and person there insisted they did their part in having a car ready on Dec 15th. And, they can't help if the vehicle isn't ready. They have no clue when it would be ready. I can wait or am free to cancel was what she said. So, here I am ..
  • A car would pop up anytime in 8 weeks period.
  • I'm supposed to be in town not knowing when it would come.
  • They would wait for just 3 days(including a sunday).
  • They will insist the person registering the car be there to take delivery
  • They will put you back on queue if u miss the date
  • They will not care to even inform upfront if they can't honor the date
  • They have the arrogance to say 'you are free to cancel your order if you want'

If they have no clue when a car would pop up to be delivered to the consumer, the least they can do is to deliver the car to an authorized person or provide for an option to extend the delivery date once within a given max duration of date. They do none of that. Now, I need to figure out how I extend my rental to accommodate this uncertainty that this company has thrust upon me.
Truly disappointing that the company that thrives on the demand has gotten this arrogant. I deeply regret having committed myself to this car.

keify

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
A couple of people on the Tesla owned fora have been disappointed at the last moment when Tesla informed them their cars were not in fact ready - the cars were apparently not even at the designated delivery center. This was at Costa Mesa and Marina del Rey, California delivery centers.

One of them posted that he visited the MDR center and spoke with a manager who supposedly said the Las Vegas delivery coordinators and the delivery centers communication was not going well. One of them was supposed to pick his up at Costa Mesa yesterday evening, but got the bad news just a couple of hours before that.

I'm starting this thread to document whether (or not!) others are seeing this pop up on their scheduled delivery dates, not to create a flame thread.

If your delivery was postponed at the last moment, please post here.
My delivery was scheduled for Dec 31st only to receive a call on the 30th that the vehicle was not ready for delivery nor had it been shipped. I was also informed that transportation would cost $4000 when the fee states $2000 on everything when you place an order.
Kind of weird considering that I can order a brand new vehicle delivered to the closest dealer and there is NO delivery fee.
They are definitely not on top of the delivery process.
Finance is a whole different animal as they don't actually call or provide a contact number to the finance department and each email is from someone new and they typically don't answer all your questions the first time.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My delivery was scheduled for Dec 31st only to receive a call on the 30th that the vehicle was not ready for delivery nor had it been shipped. I was also informed that transportation would cost $4000 when the fee states $2000 on everything when you place an order.
Kind of weird considering that I can order a brand new vehicle delivered to the closest dealer and there is NO delivery fee.
They are definitely not on top of the delivery process.
Finance is a whole different animal as they don't actually call or provide a contact number to the finance department and each email is from someone new and they typically don't answer all your questions the first time.
If it is new you should only pay the standard delivery fee. I think that is governed by some type of federal law perhaps. They charge the same delivery fee for every vechicle regardless of where it goes and it is non-negotiable. They can charge an extra fee if they get your car from a different "dealer". So if it was already delivered to another state they can send someone to get it or have it shipped, but $2800 for that seems very steep. I think the standard delivery now on the sticker and at purchase is $1200. You care to share a copy of your purchase agreement?

Last edited: