Order black & Plasti-Dip?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Cid

Country
Country
I saw Daniel S' thread about plasti-dipping his car by ProDipper in NYC and was really impressed by their work, and I'm only 3 hours away from that location. Daniel mentioned it'll cost somewhere between $2300-$3000 for a custom color, I'm thinking perhaps I should order the base black instead, and get the car dipped in a color I really want. This way it's actually $800-$1500 (cost minus $1500 paint up-charge from Elon). Has anyone thought about going down that route?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think that's a great choice. And as you point out, it's not that much more than Tesla's optional colors. And you end up with a truly unique Model 3.

Just keep in mind that you may end up having to get it re-done every ~3 years (rough guess). But that also means you can end up with a new color every ~3 years.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I’ve been doing searches on state law issues with regards to changing exterior colors, but haven’t gotten a definitive answer for New Jersey. Anyone kindly offer some info?

Thinking about getting black and AutoFlex silver or blue paint on top. The results are amazing - you can get any color you want, protect the car with self healing properties, it lasts for years, and it’s cheaper upfront than OEM paint plus clear PPF.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve been doing searches on state law issues with regards to changing exterior colors, but haven’t gotten a definitive answer for New Jersey. Anyone kindly offer some info?

Thinking about getting black and AutoFlex silver or blue paint on top. The results are amazing - you can get any color you want, protect the car with self healing properties, it lasts for years, and it’s cheaper upfront than OEM paint plus clear PPF.
Get pulled over and pull the paint off :)

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
I has this idea initially but liked the black so much I abandoned the plan.
But seeing that really nice blue one has got me thinking again.
Its a relatively simple DIY project what takes a lot of effort to mess up, so I'll probably give it a go once the temps are less furnace like here.

racekarl

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I found a local place that'll dip the entire car for $1500: https://prowashautospallc.com/plasti-dip-services-columbia-md/

Most likely will go with this color:
https://www.dipyourcar.com/collections/gallon-colors/products/blue-quartz-gallon-ps

This way in a few years I can change the color if I want, and protect the base black paint underneath.
The product you've linked and price quote you got is for Plasti-Dip which is not the same as the Autoflex that Daniel S used.

PLastiDip will have a rubbery texture and will (supposedly) be less durable than Autoflex. It's not as easily washable and it's susceptible to being washed off by some chemicals (this is really an issue with ICE cars since gasoline dissolves it, but I would imagine there may be other common solvents that you may come in contact with).