Orange and rainbow colored roof after rains.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That’s interesting. I wonder why that changed... maybe some of the cars with cracked glass led to it.
Tesla change this around the end of the third quarter last year. I don't hear of any particular reason, but it was said that the UV protection stayed the same.
It became one of those things that people were searching for inventory cars, just to have the full roof.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla change this around the end of the third quarter last year. I don't hear of any particular reason, but it was said that the UV protection stayed the same.
It became one of those things that people were searching for inventory cars, just to have the full roof.
Yeah apparently the color comes from IR coating and the newer glass has IR coating just a different manufacturer with a different result.

Olds442

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Tesla change this around the end of the third quarter last year.
then how do we explain the high 188xxx vin numbers from Dec? i think it's unlikely that they "found a stack" of old windows and put them through the line some time in Dec. i guess we'll see as we go forward. hopefully it's back.

Cintoman

My August 2018 built car (VIN: 097730) did not have the orange rear glass. About a month ago, I had to replace the rear glass, and the new one does not have the orange color either. Strange how some newer VINs are getting this, but not others. Could be 2 manufacturers of the glass?

--Cintoman

Olds442

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
well i've had the back window tinted so i'm curious to see if it extends further towards the trunk.

of course, now there's no rain in the forecast until thursday. i won't complain too much about that though.

Olds442

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
wowserz, that's the highest vin yet that i'm aware of. it seems like they may be "back" to using the orange rear roof window. o_O

it may be just a coinkydink, but all the cars i've seen with higher vins have been AWD or Perf cars. let the conspiracy theories abound.