Orange and rainbow colored roof after rains.

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Came out to my car this afternoon after the rains and found the roof looked orange and colorful. Thought I’d share cause it looked pretty neat.

From inside you don’t see any coloration. Probably combination of rain and the evening sunset.

B97B8444-19D6-4BB3-86FD-14139B2D5B33.jpeg AA798EB3-93A6-454F-8A2F-019D12FDFD6E.jpeg F7552471-249F-4106-87CD-08FADDCFC796.jpeg

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Jason Bourne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Came out to my car this afternoon after the rains and found the roof looked orange and colorful. Thought I’d share cause it looked pretty neat.

From inside you don’t see any coloration. Probably combination of rain and the evening sunset.
It's not the sunset, it's the coating on the glass and the specially designed layers within it that prevent/block UV light and heat from entering the cabin and making the interior in to an oven.

Jason Bourne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ain't that the truth. I think it's gorgeous.

We have EV chargers at my work, and I happen to be friends with the guy whose office overlooks the chargers. So when I got my car, I put him in charge of making sure nothing happens to my car while it's on the charger during the work day.

Yesterday afternoon he called me and asked if there was a problem with my roof. "There's yellow and orange streaks and dots all over it."

I explained to him that it's just because the glass is wet (it was raining).

Country
Country
Hello,

I recently had my rear glass changed on my model 3 due to it getting hit by debris from a construction site. It rained recently and I noticed the front glass still has that cool orange reflection to it, but the rear glass doesn't. I was wondering does the rear glass also have that orange coating on it too? I remember reading its for heat protection so the inside cabin doesn't get too hot.

If someone can post pictures of their M3 after the rain where you can see the orange reflection on the glass that would be super helpful. I can then send that to Tesla service if it does need the coating.

Thanks in advance!

Defjukie

Country
Country
Hello,

I recently had my rear glass changed on my model 3 due to it getting hit by debris from a construction site. It rained recently and I noticed the front glass still has that cool orange reflection to it, but the rear glass doesn't. I was wondering does the rear glass also have that orange coating on it too? I remember reading its for heat protection so the inside cabin doesn't get too hot.

If someone can post pictures of their M3 after the rain where you can see the orange reflection on the glass that would be super helpful. I can then send that to Tesla service if it does need the coating.

Thanks in advance!
Was your window replaced by Tesla, or some 3rd party?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That’s interesting. I wonder why that changed... maybe some of the cars with cracked glass led to it.
my thought was there is a cost to the coating, and if its intent is to protect passengers from the sun, why include the cost to coating the very bottom of the rear glass, beyond the people.
-OR- the coating lead to some of those early rear windows with distortion.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
my thought was there is a cost to the coating, and if its intent is to protect passengers from the sun, why include the cost to coating the very bottom of the rear glass, beyond the people.
-OR- the coating lead to some of those early rear windows with distortion.
Great points!