Option to not auto-restart home charging after grid power loss

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
My outlier situation: I have an 11 kW back up power generator that powers my whole house in the event of grid power failure. The largest load is our central air, which we only run at night. My Model 3 will only be charged at night. In the event of grid failure at night with the ac running and the car charging, the generator will not be able to run the house load with the car charging.

I know I can lower the amount the car pulls to something like 20 amps on the nights I run home AC.
I know I can spend $$$ for an undervoltage tripping circuit breaker.
I know I can spend $$$ for a single circuit to be connected to the line side of the main transfer switch for the generator.

Is there a software selectable option where, if the car is plugged in (to ac power) and actively charging and then the grid power is off (for say a second), the car does not automatically resume charging once grid power is reestablished and stable?

Tl;dr: can I set my car to not automatically resume home charging if there is a power bump?

Thanks.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I don't have a specific solution, but perhaps an avenue to investigate. How about some logic. I'm thinking something along the lines of ITTT (If This Then That). Not sure what you could use to sense that you are on generator power. And you would have to have a way for it to talk to the Tesla API, but both are plausible...

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I don't have a specific solution, but perhaps an avenue to investigate. How about some logic. I'm thinking something along the lines of ITTT (If This Then That). Not sure what you could use to sense that you are on generator power. And you would have to have a way for it to talk to the Tesla API, but both are plausible...
The more I talk about this with my friends, the more me having the charger set to 20 amps only for those nights with the ac running may be the best and cheapest solution of all.

But I would love to have the option on the user interface to have a toggle section for "restart charging automatically if power interrupted" yes or no (or on or off). This would be the simplest solution from my perspective.

I think it should be EVSE feature.

But it should be very cheap to add an always on relay that must be engaged manually after power loss.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
But it should be very cheap to add an always on relay that must be engaged manually after power loss.
I started looking into that solution and it was turning into more effort than what it would be worth to me.

I think it should be EVSE feature.
My feeling exactly (for the Tesla branded HPWC), I should have the option to set this as an option.....and also, as an independent power use meter. I'm going to have a separate meter for the circuit used to charge my car. That way I get true watts per km, not what the dashboard tells me.

...and also, as an independent power use meter.
Strongly recommend that ;)

Few years ago I added mine.
I do recommend analog meter. Digitals are not as reliable. Especially in "complicated" temperatures.

Here's mine:

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Strongly recommend that ;)

Few years ago I added mine.
I do recommend analog meter. Digitals are not as reliable. Especially in "complicated" temperatures.

Here's mine:
Nice. Do you have a link to your specific product for specs/price info? Cheers.

@Mike
Single phase version costs 20-25€ here.
There are many DIN-style clip-on meters available.
Not sure DIN rails are used in Canada, if not, likely whatever base type is used to clip stuff on is used, are available at local hardware shops.
ABB makes them too, Eaton as well. Mine is this one:
http://www.appliedmeters.sk/en/produkt/dds-1y-m-l-for-din-rail-1-module-case
Looks like manufacturer doesn't sell them directly (bad translation, no online price, likely expensive to ship one piece that far).

Found alternative stuff at aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...=SB_20180111083203&SearchText=DIN+power+meter

Be careful, don't get products for extremely cheap from unreliable noname maker (check out reviews and manufacturer's homepage):)
Also notice maximum current. Take your Tesla wall connector maximum rating.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Not sure DIN rails are used in Canada, if not, likely whatever base type is used to clip stuff on is used, are available at local hardware shops.
Not used here in Canada.

Be careful, don't get products for extremely cheap from unreliable noname maker (check out reviews and manufacturer's homepage):)
Also notice maximum current. Take your Tesla wall connector maximum rating.
Will do, thanks for the links. I have about a year to square this all up......will help pass the time waiting to be able to order the car :D

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you put a relay in the charger circuit like a motor starter, it would drop out whenever the power went off.
A simple push button would reset it. Most machinery is made this way, you don't want them restarting by themselves.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
If you put a relay in the charger circuit like a motor starter, it would drop out whenever the power went off.
A simple push button would reset it. Most machinery is made this way, you don't want them restarting by themselves.
I've seen those magnetic switches also used on large motors.

I'll deal with that detail once everything else is in place.