Option Order/Preferencing

Model 3 Options Poll. What would you order (multiple choices allowed)

• Larger Battery

Votes: 125 83.3%
  • All Glass Roof

Votes: 49 32.7%
  • Metal Roof

Votes: 22 14.7%
  • Panoramic Glass Roof

Votes: 58 38.7%
  • Full Autopilot

Votes: 117 78.0%
  • Smart Air Suspension

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • 20" Wheels

Votes: 35 23.3%
  • Matte Paint

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Ultra High fidelity sound

Votes: 51 34.0%
  • SubZero weather package

Votes: 54 36.0%
  • Dual motors

Votes: 6 4.0%

• Total voters

TE3LA

Country
Country
So, after talking to a friend of mine (who also preordered), that air suspension may be moving up my list. One of the things that I have to always think about is dealing with steep angle driveways (almost all of the time) or dirt/rocky roads (not often, but sometimes). Having the ability to raise or lower the car for that might be a good idea.
I've seen a lot of people say they want the smart air suspension. I'd like to know more about it, but there is not a lot of information on the Tesla website. Other than the ability to raise / lower the suspension for steep driveways, are there any other benefits to this feature? Is it a smoother ride? Also, what is known about its longevity? I'm concerned that its a expensive option for a feature that will add relatively little functionality and also potentially add to maintenance / repair costs. Thanks in advance for any additional tips you have on this feature!

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've seen a lot of people say they want the smart air suspension. I'd like to know more about it, but there is not a lot of information on the Tesla website. Other than the ability to raise / lower the suspension for steep driveways, are there any other benefits to this feature? Is it a smoother ride? Also, what is known about its longevity? I'm concerned that its a expensive option for a feature that will add relatively little functionality and also potentially add to maintenance / repair costs. Thanks in advance for any additional tips you have on this feature!
I use this all the time.

Smart air suspension remembers (via the GPS location) when you raise or lower a car.

My old garage at my office, my mother's driveway, and my sister-in-law's curb required me to jack up the car to clear the driveway or curb, so the car will raise itself so by the time I reach the driveway, the car has "hiked up its skirts."

Additionally, though Tesla recommends the lowered settings at speeds greater than 100mph now (the default.) The old default was at highway speeds (don't remember if it was 65 or 75mph), so when I'm cruising along at highway speeds, I have my car set at "the old default."

We picked up the S in November 2013, and it's been fine. I also purchased the extended warranty as we're now over 56k miles.

That's a quick review.

Curious, after 56k miles how would you rank the wear and tear of the vehicle against others you have owned. We all agree it is a beautiful care and while some of the population can afford a new card every other year, most of us tend to drive them much longer.
Can we expect as good or better experience?

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Curious, after 56k miles how would you rank the wear and tear of the vehicle against others you have owned. We all agree it is a beautiful care and while some of the population can afford a new card every other year, most of us tend to drive them much longer.
Can we expect as good or better experience?
A little OT, check out my blog... I write about our Model S (2.5 years old and 56k miles) and Roadster (almost 8 years old and almost 20k miles). Our other car is an '01 BMW X5 with 129k miles. I've had an '88 Honda Accord that I kept until 300k+ miles before we gave it to my nephew who was 16 at the time.

It's well maintained and still does well. With the new front refresh, it does look "older" since it's a classic S.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a bit of a wake up call when someone speculated that the performance version of the 3 would have 330 HP (110 + 220). Sure, it's a guess, but for the first time I thought, "Of course the 3 won't have power of an S. I'm not paying $60k for that."

My point being that I had been planning to max my 3 out, and assuming it would be pretty awesome, versus something more more associated with a $35K car.

KirbyTurbo

Based on the features provided on the Model S page for the M3 I'll select the following
1. Large Battery for Range
2. Dual Motor-Since I'll be moving to CO next year
3. Cold Weather Package
4. Auto Pilot - The only reason my wife will let me consider this purchase
5. HEPA filter

On the Fence about:
1. Air suspension
2. Panoramic/Glass roof
3. Paying upfront for Super Charger/ LTE Access (There hasn't been an announcement about LTE access however I will understand if there is one. Mobile internet can add up quickly).

Mad Hungarian

Resident M3OC Wheel/Tire Guru
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a bit of a wake up call when someone speculated that the performance version of the 3 would have 330 HP (110 + 220). Sure, it's a guess, but for the first time I thought, "Of course the 3 won't have power of an S. I'm not paying $60k for that."

My point being that I had been planning to max my 3 out, and assuming it would be pretty awesome, versus something more more associated with a $35K car.
John, I'm with you, I'm really hoping to build a 3 that'll put anything else under $100K "back on the trailer" as the old drag racers used to say. Not only because Ludicrous launches are the most fun you can have with your clothes on, but because it will also greatly enhance its capabilities as a Weapon of Mass Conversion when demo'ing to non-believers.
Now there's been a lot of speculation that Tesla will limit the power and performance of the 3 in order to not show up the Model S, but if that turns out to be the case they will be the first premium brand to do so. The quickest sedans from Audi, BMW and Mercedes have almost always been the small to midsize models and this never had negative effect on the flagship sales. I see no reason why Tesla should be any different. The performance options are very profitable for them, so if they can sell 3 or 4 times as many PxxDL versions of the Model 3 vs. the equivalent Model S they'd be crazy to intensionally hobble it.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't think Tesla would purposely sub-optimize the car to make S look better, and I was probably being a little reactionary when I wrote that. That having been said, they will try to get the cost out. What that does to HP, dunno. As I later said, I think they'll next redesign the S to make it cheaper to produce as well, and keep the value proposition high on it as well.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would expect Tesla would use the same motors (in theory same HP?) as they've been using.
Is there any rational for them to design new motors, or other drive related components, specifically different for the Model 3?

Mad Hungarian

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would expect Tesla would use the same motors (in theory same HP?) as they've been using.
Is there any rational for them to design new motors, or other drive related components, specifically different for the Model 3?
I originally thought so too, but J.B. Straubel has stated on several occasions that virtually everything about the 3 will be new, including the motors. I suspect this is because they've learned an enourmous amount with the Model S and X programs and now want to use the 3 as "clean sheet" to incorporate all that free of any legacy restraints. If you've read up at all on the drivetrain issues of the early Model S you will agree that this is a very good thing! But I'm sure another part of it is to optimize the motor design, just like the rest of the car, for high volume production. Last I saw the process, the Model S motors were hand assembled. I'm thinking they'll want to automate that on the 3.

Mad Hungarian

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't think Tesla would purposely sub-optimize the car to make S look better, and I was probably being a little reactionary when I wrote that. That having been said, they will try to get the cost out. What that does to HP, dunno. As I later said, I think they'll next redesign the S to make it cheaper to produce as well, and keep the value proposition high on it as well.
Agree they're totally going to try and squeeze every possible dime of cost out of the base 3 to keep it profitable at $35K. But the performance upgrades will be a different story. The difference in cost between a 200hp and 400hp electric motor is pretty neglegible (certainly when compared to ICE, anyway) but the performance difference that results is staggering. The better the numbers, the more they'll be able to charge for the top performance version. So I think it'll be in their best interests to equip the "PxxDL version with motors that can exploit 100% of the max current its battery can provide. If they can create a $60K - $70K car that can not only leave any class challenger for dead but reel in cars costing 2 to 3 times as much, a LOT of current M3/M4, S4/RS4 and C63 AMG owners will come running, checkbooks in hand. And because of the economies-of-scale in EV performance, a very big chunk of that price upgrade will be profit for them.

KirbyTurbo

I use this all the time.

Smart air suspension remembers (via the GPS location) when you raise or lower a car.

My old garage at my office, my mother's driveway, and my sister-in-law's curb required me to jack up the car to clear the driveway or curb, so the car will raise itself so by the time I reach the driveway, the car has "hiked up its skirts."

Additionally, though Tesla recommends the lowered settings at speeds greater than 100mph now (the default.) The old default was at highway speeds (don't remember if it was 65 or 75mph), so when I'm cruising along at highway speeds, I have my car set at "the old default."

We picked up the S in November 2013, and it's been fine. I also purchased the extended warranty as we're now over 56k miles.

That's a quick review.
AEDennis,
From your experience would you sum the need/use of Smart Air Suspension down to hight adjustment for curbs/road obstructions (i.e. speed humps/bumps) and drag efficiency at high speeds?

Did I miss anything?

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
AEDennis,
From your experience would you sum the need/use of Smart Air Suspension down to hight adjustment for curbs/road obstructions (i.e. speed humps/bumps) and drag efficiency at high speeds?

Did I miss anything?
I think it's great when you lower it at speed, default is 100 mph, I start mine at 65 mph... Handles sportier.

But I use it more for parking near high curbs, etc, so as not to scrape the bottom of car... Also when driving up to my mother's driveway, which, due to the pitch, needs to be set on high or the car will scrape.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@AEDennis - is there any reason to not have them set to low all the time, except where needing the extra clearance (driveway, parking, speed bumps, etc)? and from the 'standard' height to the lowest, how much of a difference does that give you? ½", ¾"? 1"? My personal preference is liking the look of cars lowered, so if I were to get the air shocks, think I would tend to keep it on the lowest unless there is reason not to.

here's a quick little comparison - high is the stock "MyTesla" image (yellowed) and the low what I think looks appropriate
gold-gif.460

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@AEDennis - is there any reason to not have them set to low all the time, except where needing the extra clearance (driveway, parking, speed bumps, etc)? and from the 'standard' height to the lowest, how much of a difference does that give you? ½", ¾"? 1"? My personal preference is liking the look of cars lowered, so if I were to get the air shocks, think I would tend to keep it on the lowest unless there is reason not to.

here's a quick little comparison - high is the stock "MyTesla" image (yellowed) and the low what I think looks appropriate
View attachment 460
Potholes is the reason I wait until 65 mph... I'm in Southern California and our local governments are not consistent on repair of potholes... So, if you're likely to encounter potholes, better to ride standard vs. low...

I never measured the difference.

Jayc

Country
Country
I will take the stock mytesla version thank you - it looks perfect as-is.

Anyone who wants it lower can modify easily without raising safety concerns. The converse is not usually possible i.e. raising it safely without detriment to handling.

I plan to max out options as much as I can. I created a Model 3 Options spreadsheet (Apple Numbers) with a loan calculator. Options are based on Model S. Feel free to modify and share.

Change the spreadsheet extension to .numbers to open with Apple's Numbers app (this extension type wasn't permitted for upload on this site, so I changed it to .xls)

Attachments

Must haves for me are the Panoramic roof, heated leather seats, tech package, air suspension, biggest battery I can afford and Dual motors. If I have to choose between dual motors and the battery size, I'm going with dual. the other options are NOT negotiable. Possibly could end up in a used Model S prior to delivery.....still on the fence, but right now, it's a new Model 3 for me until.... ;) Either way, the next ride will not have an ICE.