Optimal daily charging

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

What percentage

• 50%

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 60%

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • 70%

Votes: 65 19.5%
  • 80%

Votes: 142 42.5%
  • 90%

Votes: 115 34.4%
  • 100%

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife's new LR RWD should be delivered in the next few weeks. I plan to do a range check at delivery, but I can't decide if I should complain if it's short of 325. How about 310?
When did you order the LR RWD and any idea of your actual build date? Just wondering since this config (same as mine) has been discontinued once again and previously as well.

Going on a year of ownership this Saturday, about 9,600mi on the ODO, and my go-to charge limit has been 85% which gets me 267mi on the clock or approx. 315mi @ 100%.

FYI Mine is a June 2018 build and my daily commute is 10-20mi depending on my chores so I charge every few days up to 85% for peak performance/acceleration more than necessity. ;)

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife's new LR RWD should be delivered in the next few weeks. I plan to do a range check at delivery, but I can't decide if I should complain if it's short of 325. How about 310?
It should definitely be at or near 325 for 100%!

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When did you order the LR RWD and any idea of your actual build date? Just wondering since this config (same as mine) has been discontinued once again and previously as well.

Going on a year of ownership this Saturday, about 9,600mi on the ODO, and my go-to charge limit has been 85% which gets me 267mi on the clock or approx. 315mi @ 100%.

FYI Mine is a June 2018 build and my daily commute is 10-20mi depending on my chores so I charge every few days up to 85% for peak performance/acceleration more than necessity. ;)
You can still special order a LR RWD today. Ours has not yet been built, Tesla says it will build in July or August of 2019. We ordered July 2nd.

wst88

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have been searching and not found any real answers. Just wanted to ask eveyone their thoughts on the best charging practice for this scernio.

Long Drive that I have to do about every month that consumes about ~79% of my battery. I usually depart at 90% and would arrive at ~11%
Which would be better on the battery? Supercharge along the way (30%-70%) or let the battery go to low and AC charge at arrival?

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have been searching and not found any real answers. Just wanted to ask eveyone their thoughts on the best charging practice for this scernio.

Long Drive that I have to do about every month that consumes about ~79% of my battery. I usually depart at 90% and would arrive at ~11%
Which would be better on the battery? Supercharge along the way (30%-70%) or let the battery go to low and AC charge at arrival?
AC charge. Supercharging puts a lot of heat into the battery which is not optimal.

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

let the battery go to 11% but plugin as soon as you arrive

wst88

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So basically the rule is: If you can avoid supercharging, you should.
Thanks for all of the advice... I push supercharging as it is.. So far 11 months I have supercharger 74 times for 1,714 KW (23,000 miles total on the car)
My battery on Teslafi shows almost 8% degradation.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So basically the rule is: If you can avoid supercharging, you should.
It's a good general rule, but it's probably going to be a pretty minor difference over the life of a vehicle.

Also somewhat relevant, when charging on AC, prefer higher rates:
https://www.tesla.com/blog/bit-about-batteries

A couple of tidbits from this article:
  • Avoiding very high charge rates. Charging faster than about C/2 (two hour charge) can reduce the cell's life.
  • Limiting our charge rate is less of a compromise, since the wire size and availability of very high current outlets limit us much more than the batteries do at this point.
This was written in 2006, during development of the Roadster. So even back in the Roadster days, it sounds like Tesla was of the opinion that AC charging even at some of the higher-available currents was still seen as pretty "low" to the Tesla battery pack. They recommended staying under a two-hour charge. The Roadster had a 53kWh battery, and according to wikipedia:

...using a 240 V charger on a 90 A circuit breaker... a complete recharge from empty would require just under 4 hours.

So this seems to support the theory that AC charging at even the highest-possible 48 amp rate isn't going to hurt the battery noticeably compared to charging at a lower current.

Dick Blonov

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I owned a 30KWH Leaf and used to charge it to whatever my daily usage required (that meant 100% cold winter days, but 70% in the summer).
With my Model 3, I use 15% on week days. So I charge to 60%, 70% week-end days. As the cold bitter days approach, I'll adjust to whatever I need.

I only follow 2 rules:
1- Don't let the battery sit at 100% for an extended period of time.
2- Don't go below 30% and if you do, charge it as soon as you can.

And I use the energy display if I need to know how far I can go on the charge I have left.
The EPA Guess-O-Meter is pretty useless IMO. I leave the battery level in %, as I did with my Leaf (that also had a distance to empty Guess-O-Meter).

Oh.
I forgot rule #3: drive it and enjoy :cool:

Phil

Dick Blonov

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Any reason why you have 30% as your lower limit?
Minimize the depth of discharge (staying in the 30-80% range as much as possible). But I'm not overly fussy about it. That approach served me well with my Leaf.
When I sold it (2016, 57000 Kms) most used 30KWH Leafs on the market were at 80-85% State-Of-Health. Mine was at 94%.

Philippe

kknogas

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I have a 16 month old LR RWD Model 3. I have 48K miles on it. I have the exact trip going from 90% to 10%, but the only difference is, I do this twice a week instead of your once a month. I charge to 90% right before I have to start and I charge back up to close to 60% as soon as I reach the destination at 10%. The rest of the times, I mostly try to keep it in the 40-60% range, sometimes going higher or lower depending on the trips. I've supercharged about 800 - 900 kWh so far. Rarely charge to 100%. Probably done in only 4-5 times. My degradation shows around 3%. When charged to 90%, it still shows around 283.

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Minimize the depth of discharge (staying in the 30-80% range as much as possible). But I'm not overly fussy about it. That approach served me well with my Leaf.
When I sold it (2016, 57000 Kms) most used 30KWH Leafs on the market were at 80-85% State-Of-Health. Mine was at 94%.

Philippe
I don't think going below 30% regularly would make that much difference in battery degradation over a long period of time.

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've changed my default charge level from 63% to 66%. The 63%, ~150 miles, is the bug-out distance with reserve to Nashville, Chattanooga, or Birmingham. But I realized 66% means adding half the charge range should give the projected 100% charge range. The math is simpler:
  • 66% -> 158 mile range :: still covers the bug-out distance
  • 158 / 2 = 79 miles
  • 158 + 79 -> 237 mile projected range at 100% (may take a while to reach)
Now this is just an estimated, maximum range based upon a lower set point. But divide by two and add is simple math that anyone can handle. The only simpler value would be 50%, just double the range, but it would not meet our bug-out distance requirement.

Bob Wilson

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've changed my default charge level from 63% to 66%. The 63%, ~150 miles, is the bug-out distance with reserve to Nashville, Chattanooga, or Birmingham. But I realized 66% means adding half the charge range should give the projected 100% charge range. The math is simpler:
  • 66% -> 158 mile range :: still covers the bug-out distance
  • 158 / 2 = 79 miles
  • 158 + 79 -> 237 mile projected range at 100% (may take a while to reach)
Now this is just an estimated, maximum range based upon a lower set point. But divide by two and add is simple math that anyone can handle. The only simpler value would be 50%, just double the range, but it would not meet our bug-out distance requirement.

Bob Wilson
why not set it to 70% or 80%