Optimal daily charging

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

What percentage

• 50%

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 60%

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • 70%

Votes: 65 19.6%
  • 80%

Votes: 141 42.5%
  • 90%

Votes: 114 34.3%
  • 100%

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My rated range returned to 310 after changing my charging back to 90% from 80. It had gone down to about 298 while charging to 80, but recovered in about 3 charges after switching back to 90. Data off of TeslaFi.

jlquinn

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The car came set to 90% and I still use 90% unless I know I'm doing a lot of driving. My commute is about 50min round trip, 35 miles but I tend to use 50m of range.

I generally find the range number to better match minutes than miles, especially with the colder weather.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why are there no real answer to this question? Trying to best understand what is optimal and every time this is asked there are different answers by what everyone is doing but it really doesn't answer what is the best thing to do :rolleyes:

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why are there no real answer to this question? Trying to best understand what is optimal and every time this is asked there are different answers by what everyone is doing but it really doesn't answer what is the best thing to do :rolleyes:
That's because what is "optimal" or "the best thing to do" varies from person to person, according to their driving habits and needs.

If your definition of "optimal" is simply to maximize battery-pack longevity, see this thread or this thread for more information. TL;DR -- ideally, charge daily such that your battery cycles around 50%, but there's not much of a difference if you cycle from, say, 60% - 80% instead. Avoid 100% for more than half an hour, and stay away from 0%.

I think many people decide when and how to charge their cars based on factors other than long-term battery health, though, and that is why you are seeing such a wide range of answers. Daily driving distance (and the variability thereof), tolerance for range anxiety, availability of public charging, climate, and a desire for slightly faster acceleration -- among others -- can play a role.

The reason why Tesla Owners can (and should) feel comfortable basing their decision on these factors is that, historically, Tesla battery packs have not experienced very much degradation over time -- only a few percentage points over a couple hundred thousand kilometers. As a result, there isn't much of a penalty for prioritizing convenience over battery health, provided you stay within the boundaries described above.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The absolute best thing to do for the battery's health is to charge it to 50%, leave it plugged in to keep it at 50%, and never drive it.

Everything else is a compromise. That's why you get various answers. You'll have to decide which set of compromises are most applicable to you.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have stopped worrying about it for just the reason that @Bokonon mentions above....the batteries will be perfectly fine for longer than I will drive thr car.
Tesla has thr best battery tech out there (I know the difference after 5 years with a Leaf)

So, I set my charge limit to 90% and generally only charge the car when I go to work, since it’s free there. I will drive several days and take it down to maybe even 50 miles before I plug it in again. Unless I go back to work and charge it because I can, so there are times when I charge it daily to 90% from maybe 65%.
I have almost 12k miles in 9 months and she still shows 279 miles at 90%, which is spot on.

So basically do what works for you and Uncle Elon will take care of you, but I suggest keeping it between 10 & 90% with thr occasioanly 100% for trips

jsanford

Eloise the 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You guys see Kim Youtube video and how Elon's response to her?
Charge 90% each night is what is recommended right now and charge 100% overnight and keep plugging to reset calibration but charing 90% each night in few days should reset it)
I keep wondering about that. Her experience with range loss seemed so extreme. Eloise has over 8,000 miles now and charged to 309 miles at 100% on our last trip. Regular daily mileage is under 30 miles so I’d been charging to 55% at night to maximize battery longevity. Clearly I need to research more on the recommenced best practice if you don’t drive 50+ miles a day.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I keep wondering about that. Her experience with range loss seemed so extreme. Eloise has over 8,000 miles now and charged to 309 miles at 100% on our last trip. Regular daily mileage is under 30 miles so I’d been charging to 55% at night to maximize battery longevity. Clearly I need to research more on the recommenced best practice if you don’t drive 50+ miles a day.
I'm leaving mine plugged and "trickle charging" at 5a(about 4 mph) whenever I'm home. If I know I'll need more range, I dial it up to amps necessary to deliver my needs. I try to keep the car charging always. Start charging with a warm battery, start driving with a warm battery. Minimum waste, maximum performance, maximum battery health. I only wish Elon would implement "finish charging at XX:XX" as has been suggested by others.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I guess it's the same question as "Should I take my multi-vitamins at night, or in the morning; should I take my glucosamine 3 pills (or 2?) at once or space it out throughout the day?" So regarding our M3 charging best-practices, besides Elon, who (really) knows?

I will give it a shot. The more time your battery spends around the 50% SOC and the less time it spends near the fringes (very low and very high SOC), the less degradation will occur. Period! I keep my cars and equipment nearly forever. Since my commute is very short now, I keep both the 3 and 6 year old S at 50% SOC. My 3 is a March delivery and has never been range charged. My S (range charged on 8 occasions) spent most of her life with an 80-mile round trip commutes and was charged to 70% nightly. She has degraded from 262 miles when new, to 254 with ~85K miles. I don’t believe in all of this ballywho about the need to balance the S/X/3 pack that was needed for the Roadster. I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olds442

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
my P85 lives in the 80-90% zone and a full range is 254 after 65,000+ miles. March of 2013 build, B pack.

at one point the max was 238, but i cycled it a couple times and then had 267 as the top, but that's leveled off to 254 give or take a mile. i don't do 100% charging unless taking a long trip or full day of driving.

say what you want about cycling, it works for me.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I charge to 70% every night to keep my battery warm. For the twice a month or so road trip, I charge to 90%. I've only charged to 100% 3x and that was for a trip to the big city and back. I have 3100 miles on the odo and zero degradation.

BW984

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I switch it up everywhere between 65% and 80% trying not to keep the charging level at a single percentage too many nights in a row. Not sure if that helps at all but it makes me feel like I’m going the extra mile. It’s plugged in 100% of the time it’s at the house.

AlohaAdam

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As a new owner this is at the top of my list of questions. I have yet to charge beyond 90%. Most of the time I got to 60-70% with a regular commute of <10 miles daily. Still trying to figure out the sweet spot & from reading this thread I am still not sure I know.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As a new owner this is at the top of my list of questions. I have yet to charge beyond 90%. Most of the time I got to 60-70% with a regular commute of <10 miles daily. Still trying to figure out the sweet spot & from reading this thread I am still not sure I know.
Just charge at a moderate rate(16a-40a), and at least occasionally(say, quarterly), charge to 95% and deplete to 5%. Drive and enjoy.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
90% is good. Don't overthink it. I mean, I do like knowing what the best is, and how much of a difference it makes, but all indications so far is that Tesla battery chemistry has been designed to be less sensitive to these charging issues than other cars.

Elon himself says that 90% is fine.

Just charge at a moderate rate(16a-40a)
I'd argue that "moderate rate" goes up well past 90 amps, which means anything other than supercharging will be fine.