Opticoat Pro Vs. Ceramic Pro

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

svusa11

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Finally, I have placed order and now I need to decide if should I get ceramic coating to protect multi-coat red paint!
To be honest I'm not a car guy and up until I ran into Tesla, car has always been dead expense to me. So never had first hand experience with any polishing type product. Ones in a while, I stop by at automatic car wash facilities and that is it :)

with that said, I don't like to spend crazy money but if Ceramic Coating preserves shine/paint for 5-7 years, I think should take that chance.

Question,

- would you prefer Ceramic Pro or Opticoat Pro?
- what is downside of applying ceramic coating?

Thanks in advance.

Scrapps

Country
Country
Can let you know how I get on next week when I get the following done to my car which I pick up Sat:
Silver (Car)-Paint cleanse exterior
- 1 Stage machine polish
- Full IPA Wipe-down
- Ceramic Pro 9H (2 coats)
- Interior Vacuum and Windows
-Door jamb cleanse
- 5 year warranty
$1,050.00

Ceramic PRO Light

$280.00​
Ceramic Pro WheelWheels Off Vehicle One Coat On Lips And Barrels

$250.00

Ceramic Pro RainCoating of Ceramic PRO Rain on Windshield Surface Providing Hydrophobic Effect
All Windows & Side View
$85.00

When I spoke to the shop today, they recommended I tell Tesla not to detail the car, to avoid any swirls they might add to the paintwork. I've requested that from my ISA, but now I'm worried I'm going to be picking up a dirty car and all my delivery photos will be ruined :) I guess it's best in the long run though.

svusa11

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Thanks guys!! do you think ceramic coating can damage paint in a long run? If I understand correctly, it creates glass like layer on top of the paint, I'm wondering in long run if structure start breaking and create patches or it is going to uniformly wash-off?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks guys!! do you think ceramic coating can damage paint in a long run? If I understand correctly, it creates glass like layer on top of the paint, I'm wondering in long run if structure start breaking and create patches or it is going to uniformly wash-off?
no.

the car I just sold (year 2000) had a coating added at delivery. It was before any of the current products were around, and the specific one they used on that car is no longer made, but it was still super glossy and hydrophobic to the day it was sold.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Finally, I have placed order and now I need to decide if should I get ceramic coating to protect multi-coat red paint!
I feel like much like Paint Protection Films (PPF), the outcome of Ceramic Coating application has less to do with the product and more to do with the prep work, attention to detail and application skill level.

I'm definitely considering it for my Model 3 (if I get an invite ;)) as the upfront cost is really an investment toward low-maintenance and protection for years to come.

Do you have a shop in mind? I see you're in the NY area, and I know of two highly recommended shop here in central Jersey...

https://signaturedetailing.com/

https://www.facebook.com/leeberbs/

Greg & Lee used to be partners but have seem to gone their separate ways recently....

They do it all from window tinting, PPF and Ceramic Coatings (Opti-Coat Pro & CQuartz Pro) and are BIG in the Tesla community. I've used Lee several times for tints, but the Model 3 may be my first car worthy of some ceramic lovin. :D People trust them with Lambos, Ford GT's and other exotics so that should say a lot about their work. Check them out!

FYI Lee also has a shop in Sarasota, Florida as well.

Last edited:

svusa11

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I feel like much like Paint Protection Films (PPF), the outcome of Ceramic Coating application has less to do with the product and more to do with the prep work, attention to detail and application skill level.

I'm definitely considering it for my Model 3 (if I get an invite ;)) as the upfront cost is really an investment toward low-maintenance and protection for year to come.

Do you have a shop in mind? I see you're in the NY area, but I know of a highly recommended shop here in Jersey...

https://signaturedetailing.com/

https://www.facebook.com/leeberbs/

Greg & Lee share the space but partner on many projects.

They do it all from window tinting, PPF and Ceramic Coatings (Opti-Coat Pro & CQuartz Pro) and are BIG in the Tesla community. I've used Lee several times for tints, but the Model 3 may be my first car worthy of some ceramic lovin. :D People trust them with Lambos, Ford GT's and other exotics so that should say a lot about their work. Check them out!

FYI They have a shop in Sarasota, Florida as well.

I have spoken with Greg from signaturedetailing before, his quote is around $900 for Opticoat Pro. They seems to be specialized in this area so overall confidence is high.

For Ceramic Pro, I have been dealing with Junior's MDS, Silver package goes for about $750. It is mobile detailing shop.

WWW.JUNIORSMDS.COM

I also received quote from allprodetail.com for Cquartz, including paint correction he is quoting around $600. Looks like decent guys based out of Philly area.

I'm inclined to go with either signature or allprodetail at this point.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
the car I just sold (year 2000) had a coating added at delivery. It was before any of the current products were around, and the specific one they used on that car is no longer made, but it was still super glossy and hydrophobic to the day it was sold.
Melinda, did you have to perform any sort of maintenance on the coating?

I had Ceramic Pro put on my new Tucson, and they say to have a layer of "Ceramic Pro Sport" put on annually to maintain it.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Melinda, did you have to perform any sort of maintenance on the coating?

I had Ceramic Pro put on my new Tucson, and they say to have a layer of "Ceramic Pro Sport" put on annually to maintain it.
no. I did claybar the car a couple times, but never did any additional sealant.

FWIF, a year or so ago I went back and pulled out my purchase paperwork from that car (it was inside my color 2000 brochure with the window sticker ;) ) to see what the coating was and if it was something still around. It was a package deal with underbody protection, interior scotch-guard and the paint sealant all applied by the Ford dealership. The underbody and paint sealant was by TigerSeal, with the paint sealant containing Teflon. I couldn't find on-line that it was still something they make, but it was probably the best $300 ever spent!

fallen888

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I also received quote from allprodetail.com for Cquartz, including paint correction he is quoting around $600. Looks like decent guys based out of Philly area.

I'm inclined to go with either signature or allprodetail at this point.
I've gone to All Pro guys a few times - they're right in my town. But I've always paid a lot less for ceramic coating.. like $150-$300. Now I'm wondering if they used something else on my Model S, other than CQuartz.. :(

Update: I dug into my records and saw that Paint Correction & Ceramic Coating Reload cost me $195.

Last edited:

neps

Country
Country
Curious where @svusa11 and @fallen888 have done in the months since they posted. Who did you wind up going with and what was the cost?

Also local to Philly guy (Haverford) - been researching dip or vinyl - dip seems more affordable, but neither seem to have a decent shop nearby. Ceramic coating is sounding interesting... I saw some vinyl shops do a ceramic coating after vinyl application. But that's not this shop, right?

fallen888

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Not sure if All Pro does anything other than detailing, paint correction, paint protection... stuff like that.
Last time I had ceramic coating reloaded was in March of this year. Haven't gone back since then yet.

Their site may have more info you're looking for: https://allprodetail.com

MP3

Country
Country
I am getting Ceramic Pro Gold Package applied on Monday. It comes with a LIFETIME warranty, as long as you bring the car into the Auto Salon once a year for a new layer of coating, which only costs $140. $140 per year for the lifetime of the vehicle is a fantastic deal, in my opinion.

I can't wait to see the car (and wash the car) once this is finished. Very excited! Tips for maintenance would be helpful!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am getting Ceramic Pro Gold Package applied on Monday. It comes with a LIFETIME warranty, as long as you bring the car into the Auto Salon once a year for a new layer of coating, which only costs $140. $140 per year for the lifetime of the vehicle is a fantastic deal, in my opinion.

I can't wait to see the car (and wash the car) once this is finished. Very excited! Tips for maintenance would be helpful!
I don't want to sound crazy, but what maintenance are you expecting to do. You don't mention the up front cost, but if you are paying an up front cost plus $140 a year after that for the new layer, I'm thinking that is all of the maintenance I would expect to pay. Other than that coating, just a nice wash when dirty, avoid the car washes with whirling/touching brushes.

MP3

Country
Country
I don't want to sound crazy, but what maintenance are you expecting to do. You don't mention the up front cost, but if you are paying an up front cost plus $140 a year after that for the new layer, I'm thinking that is all of the maintenance I would expect to pay. Other than that coating, just a nice wash when dirty, avoid the car washes with whirling/touching brushes.
After shopping around, the CeramicPro Gold package ranged from $1,600 - $3,500.
  • 4 Layers of 9H
  • 1 Extra Layer on Exposed Areas
  • 1 Layer of “Light” as a Top Coat
  • 1 Layer of 9H on Plastic, Rims
  • 1 Layer of “Rain” on Windshield and Front Side Windows
I went with APC (Advanced Protective Coatings) Auto Spa for a cost of roughly $1,650.

I don’t expect to do any maintenance other that easy washing, but that is why I asked the question - I wasn’t sure!

A total of 5 layers in the Gold package versus 1 layer in the Silver package was a no brainer for me. My car does not live in a garage and is exposed to the elements 24/7.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the follow up, but you are on board. Just general light cleaning is all I would ever expect to do on a car with that kind of coating. A vacuum, some tire shine a quick wash and some window cleaner is all you should ever need.. Should keep her looking good.