Optical Disc Player?

Gabzqc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here in Helsinki I see several S's and X's passing by, and despite it being against the law, drivers LOVE to hold their phones up to their heads to talk....

Its SO EASY to pair your phone with the car.... and SO DANGEROUS to drive with the phone on your ear.... why not do it!?

SMH

Country
Country
Bluetooth is the modern replacement for AUX input.

So again, can you describe the issue you're having with bluetooth? We might be able to help.
No problem really, I've just been too lazy to try it, and never had a need to use it so far. But I like the way my radio system works now and am adverse to change. I'd like to keep listening to Howard Stern and comedy channels the old way.

RickDeckard

Country
Country
To be honest I do not care about CDs any more than 19th century Phonograph cylinders. My entire music collection and dozens of audiobooks fit on a usb key the size of a nickel, you dont have to store, search and manipulate disks or cassettes, everything from hundreds of songs and soundtracks to gigabites of audio books is accessible from a tiny key (or smartphone if need be)

Charlie W

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When my wife & I go on long trips, we borrow books on CD from the library. Since Model 3's (or any Teslas) don't have CD players, I'm trying to figure out how to use a portable CD player (such as an admittedly out-dated Sony Disc-man), hooked up to an FM Transmitter, to get it into the car's sound system. (I've done it with previous cars I've owned.) Since the Model 3 has USB ports front & back (and what they used to call "a cigarette lighter" inside the center console), that shouldn't be too hard. But I'd appreciate your help with the specific piece of technology that will do that.

Last May, as an experiment, I bought a TaoTronics Bluetooth Transmitter/Receiver and tried pairing it with my Prius' audio system, but it didn't work. It wouldn't pair. (The TaoTronics people were very nice about giving me a full refund.) This is why I'm hesitant about buying another one and doing the same thing again. You know what they say about people who do the same thing over & over and expect different results. (A popular definition of insanity.) I know, "You ought to download the book onto a flash drive or into your iPhone", or copy it onto an 8-track tape (just kidding -- remember 4-track players?), but I'd prefer to simply drop the CD into a player and play it thru the car's audio system ... somehow. Any suggestions?

Here's a confession: I asked this question back in Post #51, but I either didn't get a response I could use or I wasn't tech savvy enough carry out your excellent suggestions. So, I thought I'd give it one last try. (One more thing: When I'm driving, I still listen to AM radio All News stations. But that probably doesn't come as a surprise to you.) Thanks a million, friends!

~Charlie W

Edit: Thanks to your patience, I've answered my own question. For ~$13 US (although I've seen them for less) I got a small FM Wireless Transmitter (by "Doosl"--I've never heard of them before) that gets plugged the earphone jack of a CD disc player (like an "old fashioned" Sony Disc-man), tuned to an unused FM frequency, and plays thru the car's FM radio. It doesn't even require pairing with Bluetooth. (At least it works in my Prius. I assume it'll work in the Model 3. If not, it was fun experiment. I've included the Amazon link (if that works). I wonder if it'll work with my Victrola. (Just kidding.) Thanks friends!

~Charlie

Last edited:

Griff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When my wife & I go on long trips, we borrow books on CD from the library. Since Model 3's (or any Teslas) don't have CD players, I'm trying to figure out how to use a portable CD player (such as an admittedly out-dated Sony Disc-man), hooked up to an FM Transmitter, to get it into the car's sound system. (I've done it with previous cars I've owned.) Since the Model 3 has USB ports front & back (and what they used to call "a cigarette lighter" inside the center console), that shouldn't be too hard. But I'd appreciate your help with the specific piece of technology that will do that.

Last May, as an experiment, I bought a TaoTronics Bluetooth Transmitter/Receiver and tried pairing it with my Prius' audio system, but it didn't work. It wouldn't pair. (The TaoTronics people were very nice about giving me a full refund.) This is why I'm hesitant about buying another one and doing the same thing again. You know what they say about people who do the same thing over & over and expect different results. (A popular definition of insanity.) I know, "You ought to download the book onto a flash drive or into your iPhone", or copy it onto an 8-track tape (just kidding -- remember 4-track players?), but I'd prefer to simply drop the CD into a player and play it thru the car's audio system ... somehow. Any suggestions?

Here's a confession: I asked this question back in Post #51, but I either didn't get a response I could use or I wasn't tech savvy enough carry out your excellent suggestions. So, I thought I'd give it one last try. (One more thing: When I'm driving, I still listen to AM radio All News stations. But that probably doesn't come as a surprise to you.) Thanks a million, friends!

~Charlie W
Is there an aux input on the 3?

RandyS

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is no Aux input. It has Bluetooth for phone pairing and USB to charge phones and play music from sticks...You could use a spare phone to stream stuff or insert a USB stick for music files....

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

~Charlie W
Dear Charlie, funny for not giving up (although for AM radio, you truly beat me! ;)).

Funny you’d mention this as it made me realize how things have evolved in recent years.... I remember not so long ago (maybe barely ten years), when I would not have bought a car that did a 6 or 10-CD charger built in for convenience (bought it as accessory before). Then I didn’t bother and took a few CDs along & put them in the door storage compartments... Now I just exclusively listen to music on my X or to FM radio (we’re not as big on satellite radio here... this is Europe... ;)).

What’s a ‘CD’ anyways? :D

roos

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nav tv worked for a while but now not working
Anyone have a solution. Do inexpensive cd players that run off of Usb port work for anyone?? Nav-tv ($300) worked for a while then doesn't work and nav-tv has no answer except to say it's quirky.

Hollywood7

Country
Country
Anyone have a solution. Do inexpensive cd players that run off of Usb port work for anyone?? Nav-tv ($300) worked for a while then doesn't work and nav-tv has no answer except to say it's quirky.
Why do you want to run a CD player in your Tesla?
Rip your CD's into MP3 format & load 400 CDs onto a single USB drive.
You're trying to use 20th-century technology in a 21st-century car.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I recall there was recently a data-pins problem after a firmware (2019.8.x or so) where people with wireless chargers were having difficulty without extra hubs. It's possible the cd player just won't work on current firmwares. Best bet would be to do similar to Hollywood's suggestion of working off MP3.

Charlie W

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife likes to listen to library borrowed books on CD. (I know, it’s sooo 20th century, yada, yada, yada. lol.) Yes, I admit, I prefer having music on a flash drive, not on my phone. Now, if you can get past my being an “old tech guy” driving the most advanced car (that I love) on the planet, here’s what I’ve done: I bought a portable CD player on Amazon (about $50—like a Sony Discman) and a small FM transmitter (also on Amazon -- about $15). We plug the FM transmitter into the CD player’s earphone jack and play CDs thru the FM radio in our Model 3. Sounds great and my wife likes the simplicity of it. Maybe this will help 1 other person. And maybe someday I’ll join you tech savvy folks — who probably have a teenage “kid” helping you along the way. Yes, @GDN, it's going to be an interesting thread, indeed. Peace, friends!

~Charlie

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I love that the older technology still works so well. I remember buying a new 1990 Cougar. It had quite a few options but I couldn't get the CD Player. I bought a Sony Discman like player and left it in the car. That was just enough to get the car broken in to. I replaced it, but had to remember to take it with me every time I wanted to listen to a CD. Otherwise it was CASSETTES ! The horror. But i had plenty of them, it just wasn't as cool as the CD.

Last edited:

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
borrowing CDs from the library is a good example. I borrow CDs on occasion from the library along with my wife and kids. Yes, I could rip them in about 2 minutes onto the media server and we could listen to them that way, but I just don't feel right ripping a borrowed CD. So I use the old school method and stick it in a CD player. If I like the album, i'll buy it and rip it or buy a digital copy.

But with most of my music listening now in the cars, a CD player in the car does make some amount of sense for borrowed music.

Oyster Bait

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why do you want to run a CD player in your Tesla?
Rip your CD's into MP3 format & load 400 CDs onto a single USB drive.
You're trying to use 20th-century technology in a 21st-century car.
Do audiobooks rip into MP3 format like music CDs do? Haven't had the opportunity to try this, but have been curious about it for some time.

If anyone knows, and knows any tips or tricks, would appreciate your chiming in.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do audiobooks rip into MP3 format like music CDs do? Haven't had the opportunity to try this, but have been curious about it for some time.

If anyone knows, and knows any tips or tricks, would appreciate your chiming in.
yes, if the library checks out CDs, they can be ripped to MP3 just like a music CD. The separate players some libraries have I don't think you can extract the files from.
Or more efficient is to download electronic audiobooks from the library - most every library now offers multiple services, and in the case of my two local libraries (Multnomah Co - Portland and Clark Co - Vancouver, WA) give multiple times more title options thru the online downloads than they have in physical media. And then no trying to get items returned before their due dates!