[opinion] Mirrors too small

96s46p

Country
Country
I wish the mirrors were about 20% bigger including rearview and sideview. Any good options for upsizing the rearview?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wish the mirrors were about 20% bigger including rearview and sideview. Any good options for upsizing the rearview?
Unless you absolutey need to, I wouldn’t touch the side mirrors. You’re going to change the aerodynamics of the car doing so.

On the rearview my first thought was that it’s too small or oddly small, but I think it’s an optical illusion as most cars do not have such a small bezel on the mirror. With it properly positioned I see everything that I need to see from it.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd suggest just not worrying about it. But if you insist, they do make (inside) rear view mirrors that span almost the entire interior. I sat in a race car that had one of these, and it does give you a great view of everything happening behind you. But it's going to block quite a bit of your forward view.

Examples:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lng-22547

Thunder7ga

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife's only negative comment about the car (only a Tesla store model as we don't get ours until tomorrow) was about the mirrors being so small. I told her to wait until we have ours and live with it a bit so we can really see what it is like.

96s46p

Country
Country
I'd suggest just not worrying about it. But if you insist, they do make (inside) rear view mirrors that span almost the entire interior. I sat in a race car that had one of these, and it does give you a great view of everything happening behind you. But it's going to block quite a bit of your forward view.

Examples:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lng-22547
Yes I was considering one of the slightly bigger and possibly curved clip on mirrors but not so far as a 38" wide one

96s46p

Country
Country
Unless you absolutey need to, I wouldn’t touch the side mirrors. You’re going to change the aerodynamics of the car doing so.

On the rearview my first thought was that it’s too small or oddly small, but I think it’s an optical illusion as most cars do not have such a small bezel on the mirror. With it properly positioned I see everything that I need to see from it.
Yes I would possibly trade a small reduction in aero for larger mirrors but it might be a while before there are any compatible aftermarket options plus they have the lte antennas inside as well.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
my Leaf had smaller mirrors - but size doesn't matter.
What matters more is how you adjust them.
I'm amazed by how many people insist on being able to see the side of the car in the mirrors - maybe they think the side of the car will change shape/color?
I agree with this after I learned a few years back that it's not about seeing the side of your own vehicle. You have to set them out further, and it takes a while to adjust to not seeing the side of your own car, but you have to learn and remember nothing can fit in that spot between the view of the mirror and the side of the car. You get a much better wider view when doing this.

I also agreed at first that the rear view mirror might be a bit small, but you see the whole gap between the rear headrests. If it was any wider you wouldn't see much more of the road. The other things I've realized is I don't need to see a ton and know much about what is behind me, I just need to know that something is behind me. Maybe if someone were approaching fast or an emergency vehicle, but you can still tell that pretty easily with what is there. I just don't need a perfectly crisp clear picture, just if something is there or not. I just have to be a tad more cautious in backing up, but have also used the backup camera as more of a crutch for that too.

96s46p

Country
Country
I like to track everything on the road near and far and build a mental bird's eye view so having fixed visual points of reference such as the edge of the car or the c pillars visible in the mirrors view helps my brain to quickly parse and stitch those images.

timtesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On my old car (2012 focus), there was a smaller wide angle mirror in the corner of the side mirror, which I used for everything. Next time you see a focus, take a look at the side mirror to see what i mean. Maybe try looking for a similar after market solution to stick on your mirrors

Tesla Newbie

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have there been any indications that Tesla will solve this with a birds-eye view capability from the touchscreen? I don’t have a car yet so this at best a hopeful prediction, but don’t the Autopilot cameras capture the appropriate perspectives to solve these problems?

It’s sad to hear how often wheels are scraped because the camera images are captured but not shown. #savetherims

raptor

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm getting used to it (wife isn't), and the ability to always show the backup camera makes up for this (it eliminates all blindspots IMO).

my Leaf had smaller mirrors - but size doesn't matter.
What matters more is how you adjust them.
I'm amazed by how many people insist on being able to see the side of the car in the mirrors - maybe they think the side of the car will change shape/color?
Maybe it's the shape of the mirrors, but my LEAF mirrors sure don't feel as small (haven't actually measured). Rear view mirror is definitely smaller in the Model 3.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have there been any indications that Tesla will solve this with a birds-eye view capability from the touchscreen? I don’t have a car yet so this at best a hopeful prediction, but don’t the Autopilot cameras capture the appropriate perspectives to solve these problems?
no. they don't have the pavement facing cameras that are required for the 360 birds eye view.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I finally sat in a Model 3 for the first time last night.

I thought that the size of the mirrors was fine. However, I found that the driver's side mirror wouldn't adjust outward far enough to remove the blind spot completely. I was disappointed by that.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Part of the issue is that the view out the center rear view mirror is limited. I find the side mirrors only a little bit smaller than my old car, but because the view out the back is noticeably smaller, my situational awareness isn’t as good and I find myself having to move my head around a bit when changing lanes to make sure the blind spot and the rear of the car is definitely clear.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Part of the issue is that the view out the center rear view mirror is limited. I find the side mirrors only a little bit smaller than my old car, but because the view out the back is noticeably smaller, my situational awareness isn’t as good and I find myself having to move my head around a bit when changing lanes to make sure the blind spot and the rear of the car is definitely clear.
I wonder if seating position ties in because I see basically everything in the rear view.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wonder if seating position ties in because I see basically everything in the rear view.
I was just about to say the same thing ;)
while I don't have mine yet, I did specifically take note of the review view mirror view/coverage when I rented on. for me, it covered the entire rear window width. Any larger of a mirror would only afford view of more of the interior trim/C-pillars.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Maybe, I have my seat adjusted up already (prefer to sit higher in the car) which helps quite a bit but even then the area of the view out the back is about half what I’m used to seeing out of my old car.