Opening the Frunk for Dummies

Vistan

Country
Country
Several threads on this forum and on tesla motors club.com discuss getting into the Model 3 frunk if the 12v battery is dead. The approved method is to remove the tow eye cover in the front bumper and hook up an external power supply to pop the frunk latches. Not too many Model 3 drivers have such a power supply, and if they do, it is either in the car and might not be accessible, or at home in the garage.

I've attached some pics of the Model 3 frunk latch system. It looks like some enterprising soul could devise a mechanical means of operating the latch cables from outside the car. If you attach an extra cable to one of the latch cables (or both), you might be able to thread this cable down from the latch mechanism into the area behind the grill in the lower part of the front bumper. Then you attach a pull ring to this cable that can be pulled through the grill when needed to open the frunk. This method would be simple, and reasonably secure, since no
one but the owner would know that it was there.

Vistan

IMG_0190.jpg IMG_0191.jpg IMG_0192.jpg

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Or you could just use a 9 V battery. ;)
So now those thieves who once had to bash your side window to get into your car will just carry a 9 volt battery and have access to any valuables you keep in your Frunk. Thieves will finally be able to break into your car high tech! This is sure to save a lot of trips to the glass shop.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So now those thieves who once had to bash your side window to get into your car will just carry a 9 volt battery and have access to any valuables you keep in your Frunk.
NOT TRUE!

Remember, this only works if the car's 12v battery is dead.

EDIT: Did the video mention disconnecting the car's 12v battery first? It's not supposed to work if the car's 12v battery is ok.

Joaquin

Country
Country
NOT TRUE!

EDIT: Did the video mention disconnecting the car's 12v battery first? It's not supposed to work if the car's 12v battery is ok.
It seems it still works with the car 12v battery connected and in good condition... and I agree, it should not :(

EDIT: My comment source is this:

2170pwr

Country
Country
So now those thieves who once had to bash your side window to get into your car will just carry a 9 volt battery and have access to any valuables you keep in your Frunk. Thieves will finally be able to break into your car high tech! This is sure to save a lot of trips to the glass shop.
To be honest I’d rather have them use a 9 volt to get into my frunk than bash my side window. But as others have said I assume this works only when the 12 V battery is dead. (Anyone with a model 3 want to test this assumption?). Anyway, those people that think anything is secure in you car are nieve.

Griff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
To be honest I’d rather have them use a 9 volt to get into my frunk than bash my side window. But as others have said I assume this works only when the 12 V battery is dead. (Anyone with a model 3 want to test this assumption?). Anyway, those people that think anything is secure in you car are nieve.
Which is why there's a thread here somewhere about a guy who wants to bolt a safe inside the console.

UncleT

Country
Country
NOT TRUE!

Battery was connected and brand new (original was replaced).

Isn't this how first responders are supposed to open the frunk if screen is dead/disabled? I assume the battery could be connected and in good condition in that situation.

Last edited:

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think he was joking, but in case he wasn't: Car burglars aren't going to go on an Ocean's 11-style heist. They prefer targets of opportunity and a fast process. There were over *thirty thousand* car burglaries in San Francisco in 2017 and something around 1.5% of them result in arrests, which is one reason I try not to go into that particular wretched hive of scum and villainy more often than necessary. I'm to the point now where I'm about ready to start making employees whose laptops get stolen from their car write "I will take reasonable precautions with company property" 1000 on a whiteboard in the main office in front of everybody before they get a replacement issued.

Don't leave things in sight. Don't put things into the trunk or frunk when you get to your destination (if some scumbag sees you put a bag into the trunk… it knows there's a bag in the trunk). But most importantly, just remember this one simple thing: If you don't leave valuables in the car, they can't be stolen from the car. I personally wish painful death upon the people who are conducting these burglaries, but if wishes were fishes I'd be the premier seafood supplier in the world, so instead we just have to do what we can not to entice the dregs of humanity to ruin our things.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The problem with these videos is they prove there is a security hole that Tesla very clearly mis stated. While the S and the X have pull cables and therefore their frunks are never secure, Tesla specifically designed and published that the 3's funk is secure storage.

I specifically asked in both reddit posts about the condition of the battery, and if his phone was in range unlocking the car. The OP responded and confirmed, full battery, car fully locked, phone off, and the frunk can still be unlatched with the battery.

The problem here is that I don't think this can be fixed with a software update. Considering it should only happen when 12v systems are down, three should be some simple electronic circuit/diodes on the other end of these cables that enforces that logic.

This wasn't even a vague statement like rear heated seats, Tesla specifically stated this could not be done. I'm very curious if others can confirm this works or not on their cars.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The problem with these videos is they prove there is a security hole that Tesla very clearly mis stated. While the S and the X have pull cables and therefore their frunks are never secure, Tesla specifically designed and published that the 3's funk is secure storage.

I specifically asked in both reddit posts about the condition of the battery, and if his phone was in range unlocking the car. The OP responded and confirmed, full battery, car fully locked, phone off, and the frunk can still be unlatched with the battery.

The problem here is that I don't think this can be fixed with a software update. Considering it should only happen when 12v systems are down, three should be some simple electronic circuit/diodes on the other end of these cables that enforces that logic.

This wasn't even a vague statement like rear heated seats, Tesla specifically stated this could not be done. I'm very curious if others can confirm this works or not on their cars.
I'm sure if it works on one it probably works on all. Good point about a software fix might not be able to fix this issue, I hadn't thought about that. I had planned to do this very same test once I got my car and then hide a 9v in the hole with the wires. I just didn't post about it because, well, if it's not on the internet then it didn't happen....LOL. I wish videos like that did not make the rounds but like stated above, most vehicle burglars are looking for crimes of opportunity. Not many of them will carry a battery that works on one car in a million when a hammer to the window works on every car.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm sure if it works on one it probably works on all. Good point about a software fix might not be able to fix this issue, I hadn't thought about that. I had planned to do this very same test once I got my car and then hide a 9v in the hole with the wires. I just didn't post about it because, well, if it's not on the internet then it didn't happen....LOL. I wish videos like that did not make the rounds but like stated above, most vehicle burglars are looking for crimes of opportunity. Not many of them will carry a battery that works on one car in a million when a hammer to the window works on every car.
It is better that these videos DO make the rounds so Tesla is pushed to fix it ASAP, even if it means swapping a physical component. And at the very least, at we no longer have false trust in the frunk security until it is.

Hav77

Just saw this video that claims that the Model 3 Funk can be opened with an ordinary 9v battery when still connected to the 12v battery in the car!! Is someone who already has a car willing to test this out? This is not suppose to be possible according to the owners manual.