Ontario Licence Plates when taking delivery of my new Tesla Model 3

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
A buddy asked me about the whole Tesla "order online" thing and the discussion came to the license plates at delivery.

I couldn't answer his questions regarding differences between the current dealership scenario ( we have all used for decades) and how Tesla does purchase and delivery, plates wise.

My situation: I currently have (veteran) license plates on my current ride. I may:
  • turn them in for a new "green vehicle" Ontario license plate, or
  • install my current plates onto my new Tesla.
For arguments sake, lets say I want the new "green vehicle" plates ( as I believe there may be some value added benefit for same).

For current folks in Ontario who took delivery of a new Tesla, how is the whole license plate process handled?

What does Tesla do, plate wise, at their end?

What are you required to do, plate wise, at your end?

I understand Tesla needs the proof of insurance and (naturally) proof of funds prior to showing up at the SC to take delivery.

But, for Ontario purchasers, I can't seem to get a clear picture of the "new license plate procedure".

Thanks

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unless you have personalized plates you want to put on your car you’ll automatically be given the new green plates. Tesla handles the registration for you and installs them when you take delivery. Very easy, all I had to do was upload my drivers license and insurance into my Tesla account prior to taking delivery. There is a fee they tack on in addition to the required $1300 destination fee and it was $400 if I recall and that’s the only extra fee I paid when I got the car. Covers a bunch of stuff.

BTW, green plates are sequential and you cannot personalize them

victor

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And what are my steps if I want a personalized plate?
Order it in advance 4-8 weeks before a delivery; notify Tesla about owing a personalized plate; bring plates to Tesla on a delivery day and let them install it.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Very easy, all I had to do was upload my drivers license and insurance into my Tesla account prior to taking delivery.
That's too easy, thanks.

There is a fee they tack on in addition to the required $1300 destination fee and it was $400 if I recall and that’s the only extra fee I paid when I got the car.
Seen. My savings spreadsheet actually has $1,300 for delivery and $667 as "other fees", so no (bad) suprises there.:)

Thanks .

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's too easy, thanks.

Seen. My savings spreadsheet actually has $1,300 for delivery and $667 as "other fees", so no (bad) suprises there.:)

Thanks .
What 'other fees' Mike? I get the $1300 delivery. But $100 air tax, $20 tire fee and $10 OMVIC fee is only $130. Plus a variable plate fee depending on birthdate.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
What 'other fees' Mike? I get the $1300 delivery. But $100 air tax, $20 tire fee and $10 OMVIC fee is only $130. Plus a variable plate fee depending on birthdate.
When I set it up last year, there was a $US 400 fee that kept appearing in my research, so I added what I thought would be enough to cover plates as well as exchange rate.