Ontario EHVIP Rebate for the Model 3 - Information Thread

Tony_YYZ

Tesla Fanatic
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
All,

Since conversations on this topic has been spanning across multiple threads, I have decided to create a new thread where we can discuss this and have the most up to date information posted here.

What we know:

The Model 3 meets all of the qualifications set out by the EHVIP program and thus SHOULD qualify for the maximum rebate of $14,000. As it stands, the Model 3 is NOT listed on the EHVIP's list of eligible vehicles. EVIP Eligible Vehicle and Incentives List

Tesla shows the Model 3 as qualifying for the $14,000 rebate in the Model 3 configurator but has worded things vaguely across multiple sections of their website. Nobody wants to put down a non-refundable deposit for $3,200 only to have vague wording come back to bite them in the end. We need a definitive answer on this.

What I have done so far:

On Saturday March 24th, I called Tesla Customer Care for Model 3 and asked about the status of their application. The person I spoke to did not have any information and said he would check with his management on Monday morning (March 26). He said he would then call me back as soon as possible, he starts his shift at 7am PST. If you would also like to put some pressure on Tesla to get an answer, you can call in and raise the issue as well. 1-888-518-3752 Option 3

I took it upon myself to reach out to the Ministry of Finance today. After being transferred to a few people, I ended up landing at a voicemail box. I left a detailed message for the person regarding the situation and asked for a call back. Their voicemail greeting was dated March 22nd and they stated they were in the office that day. I hope they listen to my message today.
You can also call to help bring their attention to this issue, I imagine the more voices they hear on the matter, the less likely it is for them to leave it on the back burner.

Ministry of Finance person responsible for the EHVIP program: 1-866-668-8297 Ext: 14713

I would ask that any persons interested in the Model 3 please help pursue these channels so that we can finally put this important issue to rest. Please post here if you have called either number, their response and anything you may have learned.

Thanks!

-Tony

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Great idea Tony. Thanks! I messaged Tesla sales NA on Saturday as well. Basically wrote that people were delaying ordering. Hopefully if enough of us follow up it will get some attention.

Sent this on Saturday as well. Funny, I haven’t heard back yet:

60e65eac-47e1-4f11-b5ed-063d1a030283-png.6647

Tony_YYZ

Tesla Fanatic
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
**UPDATE**

I spoke with Dodi at the Ministry of Finance just now. She really couldn't confirm if Tesla has actually put in their application for the Model 3. I kept asking if she could check on the status of it, she said no. I conveyed my concerns about ordering before seeing it posted and told her the Tesla ordering process makes mention of the $14k rebate. She said they shouldn't be saying anything about a rebate at this point.

I also mentioned that BC and QC have already updated their lists which should indicate Tesla would have applied to all EV incentive programs already. She did not agree that is the case. In the end, they provided no useful information.

**UPDATE 2**

I spoke with the Ministry of Transportation. Again, another dead end. They had never heard of the Model 3 and the only vehicles showing up in the system the person had access to only had details about the S & X. At this point, I just e-mailed evip@ontario.ca as my next option.

The person I spoke to at the MoT had no insight into how to check a manufacturers applications to see where it stands. I'm running out of options. I knew this wasn't going to be easy but it just seems nobody on either side knows what is going on.

Tony_YYZ

Tesla Fanatic
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
**UPDATE 3**

I spoke to someone at a local showroom today, I will not reveal his/her identity at this time. I mentioned in detail the issues we are facing. He said he is aware and does not have much more info to offer. I asked him/her what would happen if I placed my order today seeing that the order process mentions the $14k rebate as applicable and that come delivery there is no applicable rebate. Can I refuse delivery and reclaim my deposit on these grounds?

He/She checked with their manager and came back saying that I should screenshot my order screen where it shows the rebate as being applicable and if such a situation were to happen then I could refuse the delivery and would be refunded my deposit. I then asked for this in writing. He/She said they will be looking for official documentation on this matter and would get back to me soon.

I will follow up by EOD tomorrow if I don't hear back.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been told by sources that Tesla has submitted the paperwork to both Transport Canada and the Ontario Ministry of Finance for approval. There's no need to pressure anyone on this matter as you won't get an answer from either party. We just have to be patient.

I'm confident Model 3 will make the list very shortly as it meets all the requirements for the EVIP.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been told by sources that Tesla has submitted the paperwork to both Transport Canada and the Ontario Ministry of Finance for approval. There's no need to pressure anyone on this matter as you won't get an answer from either party. We just have to be patient.

I'm confident Model 3 will make the list very shortly as it meets all the requirements for the EVIP.
Agreed. It will get resolved at some point. However there is not an abundance of time available. The immediate issue is some people with invitations to configure are putting off ordering due to this. Understandable. Nothing wrong with individuals contacting the Premier and their MPP’s office to voice their concern. I have and fully encourage others to as well.
The timing of the the 3’s initial availability in Canada and the upcoming election is both fortunate and time constrained. The ‘rules’ however are not clear yet. Clarification is required ASAP to allow an ever increasing number of people to make informed decisions.

tombar

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agreed. It will get resolved at some point. However there is not an abundance of time available. The immediate issue is some people with invitations to configure are putting off ordering due to this. Understandable. Nothing wrong with individuals contacting the Premier and their MPP’s office to voice their concern. I have and fully encourage others to as well.
The timing of the the 3’s initial availability in Canada and the upcoming election is both fortunate and time constrained. The ‘rules’ however are not clear yet. Clarification is required ASAP to allow an ever increasing number of people to make informed decisions.
I'd suggest we all also send email to minister of transportation minister.mto@ontario.ca

Tony_YYZ

Tesla Fanatic
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I've been told the same directly from the MoT. I will continue to press them for some transparency on the matter as I want to order my Model 3 ASAP as do dozens of others.

I am in active communications with people in the EVIP program right now. If anyone wants further updates, please see the linked TMC thread. I'm updating that thread on the fly. Thanks.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...te-for-the-model-3-information-thread.111686/

Last edited:

Tony_YYZ

Tesla Fanatic
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
**UPDATE 7**

So Tesla Oakville reached out to me again today. WITH GOOD NEWS!

Tesla Oakville said:
Hi Tony,

Thank you for taking my call. I quickly spoke with one of my colleagues regarding the Ontario EV incentive, and I have been notified that we can confirm your deposit will be refunded for you if the Model 3 doesn’t qualify for the Government incentive. I would still recommend taking screenshots of your order/deposit moving forward, just for reference.
So there you have it. We still don't know WHEN the rebate will be approved but at least our deposits are secure!

And with that, I just ordered! Can't risk waiting for AWD and don't really want the added cost of it at this point with how pricy the 3 is in Canada.

Don

Fyi, to further complicate things, I
just got a call back from the MTO. The person indicated that Tesla recently applied to have the M3 on the eligibility list. The approval process usually takes 2 months. That takes us to the end of May. One has 3 months to apply for a rebate after delivery of the car.

I also asked if there is a change of government and the application is in prior to the election, would we still receive the rebate? She didn’t know and wasn't able to answer that.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Fyi, to further complicate things, I
just got a call back from the MTO. The person indicated that Tesla recently applied to have the M3 on the eligibility list. The approval process usually takes 2 months. That takes us to the end of May. One has 3 months to apply for a rebate after delivery of the car.

I also asked if there is a change of government and the application is in prior to the election, would we still receive the rebate? She didn’t know and wasn't able to answer that.
We honestly don't know how long ago it was they applied. I'd imagine we're looking at the far end of the 4-8 weeks, perhaps longer. I'm sure they're going to coodinate it with the government as there isn't a single person ordering their model3 right now that doesn't want the rebate and most of us are counting on it. I know I'd not buy the car at the full MSRP.

I can't see them screwing us over rebate wise as we're essentially doing them a favor. They want to withold cars so they can take advantage of a higher volume for tax credit reasons and secondarily I'm sure they're aware our EV credit is in jeopardy.

JohnMon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I received a reply from Dodi at the EV Incentive Program, which basically said that they are anticipating the addition of the Model 3 to the program and "believe it should be listed on the website before the Ontario deliveries".

I figure that's pretty good news.

Now if Tesla would only roll out AWD....

Country
Country
Posting the latest response I got from MTO with the added "Long Range + AWD" verbiage:

Thank you for taking the time to contact the Ministry of Transportation's Customer & Traveller Information Management Office.

Tesla has recently applied to have to Model 3 Long Range + RWD added to EVIP and Green Plates Program. MTO is currently undertaking the required technical work to assess and add this vehicle to the programs. Once complete, the list of eligible vehicles on the websites will be updated.

The program uses a formula approach to determine incentive values for each approved vehicle based upon battery size, seating capacity and Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). Part of that formula is that the total value of the incentive cannot exceed 30% of the MSRP as of the date of purchase/lease.

We thank you for your inquiry and encourage you to contact us in the future, as we continually strive to improve our service to our customers.

Sincerely,

Fran
Customer & Traveller Information Management Office

phigment

Country
Country
Posting the latest response I got from MTO with the added "Long Range + AWD" verbiage:

Thank you for taking the time to contact the Ministry of Transportation's Customer & Traveller Information Management Office.

Tesla has recently applied to have to Model 3 Long Range + RWD added to EVIP and Green Plates Program. MTO is currently undertaking the required technical work to assess and add this vehicle to the programs. Once complete, the list of eligible vehicles on the websites will be updated.

The program uses a formula approach to determine incentive values for each approved vehicle based upon battery size, seating capacity and Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). Part of that formula is that the total value of the incentive cannot exceed 30% of the MSRP as of the date of purchase/lease.

We thank you for your inquiry and encourage you to contact us in the future, as we continually strive to improve our service to our customers.

Sincerely,

Fran
Customer & Traveller Information Management Office
So they didn't acknowledge the AWD portion?

Is the 30% part new? So that means to get the full 14k, the MSRP needs to be $46,666 or more.

Country
Country
So they didn't acknowledge the AWD portion?

Is the 30% part new? So that means to get the full 14k, the MSRP needs to be $46,666 or more.
Maybe because the dual motor AWD hasn't been officially released yet.

Which also means Tesla will have to go through the same application process and for MTO's technical assessment for the AWD version to be added to the list.