Ontario Canada EV rebates effectively cancelled

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While de don’t allow political discussion on the forum I just wanted to let everyone know that Ontario Premier Doug Ford has announced the cancellation of Cap and Trade which is the program that funds the rebates here.

This news is effectively the end of rebates as we know them.

Please only discuss how the rebate cancellation affects your purchase decision. Thank-you

https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2018...-cap-and-trade-carbon-tax-era-in-ontario.html

Velianou

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Due to my Order date being:

"Order placed with electronically accepted terms 6/20/2018"

I am assuming by the post above that my order is in line with the rebate program.

I hope this is how i am reading the post.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What is not obvious yet is what happens if you already ordered a M3 LR + AWD. That given trim is still not part of the list of eligible vehicles.

F0ZZ

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Is there any word if the program will simply end or if it will be phased out? If it’s just finished I will have to cancel my reservation unfortunately. I’ve contacted my local PC rep but no answers yet.

Toishome

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
So I ordered the AWD on the 26th of June and by the looks of things the AWD will no longer be qualified for a rebate.
I like to know if I can cancel my order and get my $4,200 deposit back.

summerfun

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
What is not obvious yet is what happens if you already ordered a M3 LR + AWD. That given trim is still not part of the list of eligible vehicles.
If you placed an order for a car that was not on the list, it seems doubtful it will get added now...

Toishome

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Just got off the phone with Tesla. In order to qualify for the Ontario rebate I can change the cars configuration to RW from AWD and it will not change my order date of June 26th so I can still qualify as its before the July 3rd deadline.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Don’t think there is a July 3 deadline, that’s date they issued press release for cap and trade but nothing official on EV program

F0ZZ

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I had a conversation with my local PC party rep on Friday about the rebate. She called me today to let me know we will have answers next week regarding the cancellation of the rebate. My hope is that we have a few months grace period before it comes to an end.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a conversation with my local PC party rep on Friday about the rebate. She called me today to let me know we will have answers next week regarding the cancellation of the rebate. My hope is that we have a few months grace period before it comes to an end.
Similarly, I contacted MTO to see if they were processing the AWD trim and add it to the list of eligible cars.

I received this today

Thank you for taking the time to contact the Ministry of Transportation's Customer & Traveller Information Management Office.
This program is funded through Ontario’s cap and trade program, which has now ended. Information about the wind down of EHVIP/EVCIP will be available soon. We encourage you to visit the program’s website at www.ontario.ca/electricvehicles for updates

We thank you for your inquiry and encourage you to contact us in the future, as we continually strive to improve our service to our customers.

minogully

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I read from the press release the following quote:

"To ensure an orderly wind-down of programs funded through the cap-and-trade carbon tax, Ford committed that his government will honour arrangements where contracts have already been signed and orders have already been made"

So, perhaps placing the order with Tesla is enough to ensure you get the rebate? Here's hoping...

F0ZZ

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I spoke with my PC rep again today. If you ordered your car before June 29, you will be ok according to her. In my case I placed my reservation more than a year ago but nothing else. She told me if I put money towards the car it should be considered a contract. I sent a copy of my reservation. She is going to confirm if it’s enough.

I’ll let everyone know once I have an answer.

Dr Gez

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The AWD will not be eligible for the rebate - they are not adding any new cars to the list and the program is winding down. In order to get the incentive, the car needs to be on the list of eligible cars. If you did not purchase / order the LR RWD you will not get the $14K rebate. That is why Tesla prioritized so many cars to ON and why so many people, including myself, bought RWD when most of us wanted AWD since it was not a $4K decision but a $18K decision.

phigment

Country
Country
Similarly, I contacted MTO to see if they were processing the AWD trim and add it to the list of eligible cars.

I received this today

Thank you for taking the time to contact the Ministry of Transportation's Customer & Traveller Information Management Office.
This program is funded through Ontario’s cap and trade program, which has now ended. Information about the wind down of EHVIP/EVCIP will be available soon. We encourage you to visit the program’s website at www.ontario.ca/electricvehicles for updates

We thank you for your inquiry and encourage you to contact us in the future, as we continually strive to improve our service to our customers.
If you take a look at that page, it was modified on July 4th. I took at look at an archived version from June 28th. The new version of the site removes the text:

Through Ontario’s Climate Change Strategy, we will reduce emissions from transportation by promoting the adoption of battery electric plug-in hybrid electric and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. The Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program (EHVIP) supports the adoption of electric vehicles, and hydrogen rewards early adopters and creates market demand for new technology.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It’s official as of today.

Here are the details:

Applications will be accepted from dealerships, car owners or prospective car owners only if one of the following conditions has been met:

• Eligible vehicles that have been delivered to consumers, registered, and plated on or before July 11 will receive the incentive.
  • Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10.
In addition, the Electric Vehicle Charging Incentive Program is cancelled effective July 11. Charging stations purchased and/or installed before this date will be eligible to receive incentives if the application is submitted within 60 days of July 11.

Reminder: please keep politics out of the discussion. Only discuss how it affects your buying decision. Thanks

Canuck42

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Mesprit87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hope all this political crap doesn't percolate to our provincial elections...

I thought the federal said they would add some incentive on their side. Silence radio as we say in french but now would be a good timing for adding one across Canada.

Feel sorry for you all.

abanica82

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Does that mean if I placed my order on June 23 ($3200 deposit) I won't receive the rebate even if the car is delivered before September 10?

I've also sent this question to the MOF. Waiting for a response.