Only got 301 miles on a full charge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I got my car mid September and since have only put 900 miles on it. Until this morning I've never charged more than 80%, but I'm headed on a road trip and set it to charge to 100% only to have it stop at 301 and say charge complete. Is this normal? That's 3% loss from the factory rating.

To test if the car thinks the battery is full, I set the navigation to place down the street and it says I'll get there with 99% charge, so it does think it's full.

I did charge it to full on public charging as I live in an apartment and don't have my own, but I don't see how that should matter.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a Model 3 AWD and since day 1 have gotten no more than 301 miles on a 100% charge and 270 miles on 90%. Yesterday, I got V9.0 (18.42.4 build) and now my 90% charge is reporting 277 miles! I don't know if my range has really increased or it's just an updated way of reporting the range. The car has about 2K miles on it now.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
At some point, the charging system decides that it’s “close enough”, I guess because it would take a ridiculously long time to cram in that extra bit of charge, and possibly risk damaging the battery? My M3 regularly cuts off at anywhere between 270 and 279 miles (occasionally 280) at the normal daily charge limit.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I got my car mid September and since have only put 900 miles on it. Until this morning I've never charged more than 80%, but I'm headed on a road trip and set it to charge to 100% only to have it stop at 301 and say charge complete. Is this normal? That's 3% loss from the factory rating.

To test if the car thinks the battery is full, I set the navigation to place down the street and it says I'll get there with 99% charge, so it does think it's full.

I did charge it to full on public charging as I live in an apartment and don't have my own, but I don't see how that should matter.
if you haven't already, check out the 5k mile battery degradation thread.

I also have a last week of September car that about a week ago (at 1,200 miles on the odometer) dropped it's total capacity by 10 or 11 miles in less than 48 hours - after sitting right around 309-311 since delivery. for mine, it happened about a week after the v9.0 update (so wasn't a software issue - or at least didn't appear to be), was surrounded by typical days with nothing out of the ordinary (every morning charge to the same amount as the prior, same distance driven, etc). @Bokonon had suggested to drain the battery down to 20ish % and recharge to 80ish %. I happened to have a road trip for work coming up, so prior to the trip, charged to 100%, battery was down in the single digits on the way home, so recharged at a supercharger enough to get home with the battery near 20% for the next day's charge. Got home with 22% charge - set the charge limit for 80% and for it to start at 4am (planning that to be enough to be recharged before leaving for work). the next morning when I was ready to go to work it was not back to 80% but closer to 65% (by math, the range was still calculating out to around 298). So that night I did not plug it in. The following night (last night) it was down again to 22% and bumped up the charge limit to 85%.
This morning when I checked just as it was finishing charging, it was at 84% and 261 miles, so the equivalent of 310 miles again! I also got the 42.4 update this morning, so not sure if it was the software update that did the recalculating or the couple times of doing a larger recharge that my typical topping off recharge.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks everyone, good to know I'm not the only one.

@Bokonon I'm on 39.7, because I can't ever connect to WiFi, i get updates very slowly.

@MelindaV thanks for all this. I'll try just letting it get down to 20% and then back to 80%, and repeat.

@Alex K I too have a dual motor AWD, maybe it's specific to ours since we do get a bit less than RWD?

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm on 39.7, because I can't ever connect to WiFi, i get updates very slowly.
Got it. If you check out the battery degradation thread that @MelindaV linked to, you'll see that several other people reported unexpected, recent drop-offs in extrapolated full charge, so you are definitely not alone.

The reason I asked about firmware was because release 42.2 and later seem to include a change to (or a recalibration of) the battery-level calculations. @MelindaV and others who observed an apparent reduction in range under earlier firmware are reporting that their extrapolated 100% range is back up to 310 miles after updating to 42.2 or later. So, I'm starting to think there was an issue with the way 36.2-39.7 calculated the battery pack's state of charge, especially in cases where owners would plug in every night, or otherwise only used a narrow portion of the battery.

Personal point of reference: since taking delivery in late August, I've typically plugged in around 30% and charged to 80%, and have consistently been around 308-309 miles for extrapolated range at 100%. However, for a couple of weeks, under 36.2, I tried plugging in around 40-50% and charging to 70%, and when I did that, my estimated 100% range began to fall to 307 and 305. When I resumed charging from 30% to 80%, estimated 100% range went right back up to 307-308 and stayed there. Finally, I downloaded 42.3 yesterday, charged from 33% to 80%, and my estimated 100% range jumped to an all-time high of 310!

Moral of the story: wait and see what happens when you update to 42.x. My guess is you'll be right back up to 310 or thereabouts.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a Model 3 AWD and since day 1 have gotten no more than 301 miles on a 100% charge and 270 miles on 90%. Yesterday, I got V9.0 (18.42.4 build) and now my 90% charge is reporting 277 miles! I don't know if my range has really increased or it's just an updated way of reporting the range. The car has about 2K miles on it now.
I did a 100% charge for a trip and the range reported was 308 miles.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I did a 100% charge for a trip and the range reported was 308 miles.
AFAIK for all EV's the reported range is an indication calculated/based upon things like your recent driving conditions ( eg. highway or slow, temperature and !! the way your right foot handles the accelarator :D ). Only the battery % indication is exact!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
AFAIK for all EV's the reported range is an indication calculated/based upon things like your recent driving conditions ( eg. highway or slow, temperature and !! the way your right foot handles the accelarator :D). Only the battery % indication is exact!
The range is not dependent on previous/recent driving conditions. It's a "static" number computed based on the state of the battery. As your car "ages", the displayed range will be less. This is true for Model 3, S or X. There are several threads discussing this.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The range is not dependent on previous/recent driving conditions. It's a "static" number computed based on the state of the battery. As your car "ages", the displayed range will be less. This is true for Model 3, S or X. There are several threads discussing this.
Okay, new to me. Maybe my experience with the Leaf-30kWh we drive fools me..! My source is ao. a link like this one https://toddmotto.com/angular-tesla-range-calculator/

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Okay, new to me. Maybe my experience with the Leaf-30kWh we drive fools me..! My source is ao. a link like this one https://toddmotto.com/angular-tesla-range-calculator/
Yes, what you said here is right. But that is just a range calculator that will tell you what range you should expect based on factors such as speed, temperature, wheel size and A/C usage. All these factors come into play once you start off on your journey. The milage that is displayed by the Model 3 is a starting point. Yes, it may be different in real life, but the car does not try to predict what your driving style will be like. You can think of the range display as roughly reflecting the EPA range. There is the Energy Consumption screen, which tries to extrapolate your range based on previous driving style (got this image from the internet):
tesla-model-3-firmware-version-9-0-energy-usage-jpg.17114

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, what you said here is right. But that is just a range calculator that will tell you what range you should expect based on factors such as speed, temperature, wheel size and A/C usage. All these factors come into play once you start off on your journey. The milage that is displayed by the Model 3 is a starting point. Yes, it may be different in real life, but the car does not try to predict what your driving style will be like. You can think of the range display as roughly reflecting the EPA range. There is the Energy Consumption screen, which tries to extrapolate your range based on previous driving style (got this image from the internet):
View attachment 17114
Okay, so with the Model 3 LR, when driving a long distance on a very cold day, your range gets limited with say 20%, you stop at a fastcharger, decide to charge up to 100%. When you return to your Model 3 ( 100% charged again on this very very cold day ) the projected range says ( like always when recharging to 100% ... ) says again 310 miles ?! Suddenly when you start driving, it is still very very cold, it changes to about 80%, is 248 miles... ?! You can test it, I not yet.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I charged to 100% last Friday. My phone app kept flipping back and forth between 308 and 309 miles while the car was sitting fully charged. Kind of strange.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
50% charge shows 145 miles for me, which means only 290 on a full charge. I asked Tesla Service about it and they said the indicated range is based on tons of factors based on the last 200 miles.

I've heard soooo many things. What is the truth?

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
50% charge shows 145 miles for me, which means only 290 on a full charge. I asked Tesla Service about it and they said the indicated range is based on tons of factors based on the last 200 miles.
I've heard soooo many things. What is the truth?
The range that the car displays is a simple function of the battery's current charge level. Vehicle configuration, consumption over the past [x] miles, etc. do not factor into the calculation. The battery management system basically estimates the battery pack's available energy (in Wh) and divides it by the car's rated efficiency (~250 Wh/mi) to derive the current rated range.

As for your 290-mile projection at 100%... Have you updated to firmware 42.x yet? If not, that may explain why your 50% charge is only 145 miles. Also see Melinda's message above and the Recent Battery Degradation thread for additional discussion of the same issue.