Question Oil leak from model Y

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

save_300_dollars_ev_dot_energy

GAO

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Found odorless pool of oil on the ground under the rear axle of model Y (long range dual motets). The under carriage also showed oil sign. What’s the issue? Where is the oil come from? Can it be driven?
E9B2CC96-9729-4A57-A9DF-C5A7F5FA6FC6.jpeg
9DA404FF-4C4B-4DE6-B96D-7D97F20338FB.jpeg

Reactions: 1 person

AutopilotFan

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
I recommend you contact Tesla Service and show them these photos. I would expect the undercarriage to be more solidly aligned. There's no reason for any sort of oil to leak out of a Tesla under normal operation.

DanSz

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
Edit: Not AC COMPRESSOR OIl IF ITS AT THE BACK. MY BAD.

Could be AC compresor oil. It tends to be clear. if you’re leaking oil, you’ve probably lost Freon.
if you have a UV lamp and it glows yellow, it’s most likely that.

So, take it in and get it fixed. It’s all under warranty.

Last edited:

gary in NY

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
No leak, other than AC condensate, is OK. You need service ASAP. And that underside covering looks pretty wonky too, as pointed out above. I would want all that checked out before I drove it anywhere.

Yeah this @#$% happens, but don't accept it. They will make it right.

JasonF

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I can't say for certain, but the oil leak plus damage pattern to the cladding reminds me of what happens when a car is put on a lift incorrectly, causing pressure damage to the axle boots or possibly the drive unit.

Either way, Tesla will probably just swap out the rear drive unit (the service center isn't allowed to take those apart) and cladding, and maybe rear axles as well.

GAO

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Please find the attached pictures under regular light and UV light looking at one of oily dripping.

This model Y was touchless delivered at end of March with 65 miles. It came with quite bit issues, like, protruding dent, paint contamination, misaligned doors, bent seat, road vibrations, etc. All manufacturing problems. Per Tesla’s policy anything under 100 miles will be covered. That leaves me with no room to test it out. A trip to service center is 20 miles. My biggest frustration is there is no one to talk to. Text messages have no specific person on the other end. I didn’t expect everything to be perfect but with this much of trouble still no one to talk to is let down. I bought an brand new BMW X7 three month earlier in the dark of the night without inspect it closely and I am sure if it has problem, I will be taking cared of. With Tesla, I am not saying they won’t take care of it but with no one to talk to, it is hard to know.
2D3EFD61-4639-41E7-BD57-9D1D50B3ABD2.jpeg
1A70ACA0-1046-4324-8AEC-F86E96539927.jpeg
9394E1E2-BA8A-4E7E-B211-61EC598B4DBF.jpeg

GAO

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Please find the attached pictures under regular light and UV light looking at one of oily dripping.

This model Y was touchless delivered at end of March with 65 miles. It came with quite bit issues, like, protruding dent, paint contamination, misaligned doors, bent seat, road vibrations, etc. All manufacturing problems. Per Tesla’s policy anything under 100 miles will be covered. That leaves me with no room to test it out. A trip to service center is 20 miles. My biggest frustration is there is no one to talk to. Text messages have no specific person on the other end. I didn’t expect everything to be perfect but with this much of trouble still no one to talk to is let down. I bought an brand new BMW X7 three month earlier in the dark of the night without inspect it closely and I am sure if it has problem, I will be taking cared of. With Tesla, I am not saying they won’t take care of it but with no one to talk to, it is hard to know. View attachment 33708 View attachment 33709 View attachment 33710
Why does that under-cladding look kinda smashed out of shape? Just camera angle?
It is brand new, touchless delivered at end of March mostly under quarantine and two trips to service center. One of them is almost a week long to a third party paint shop to fix a paint contamination and guess what, my Tesla app notified me speeding while it was being serviced at paint shop.

Gabzqc

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In my experience ( and my car was nowhere as bad as yours, sorry ) all issues will be fixed, but it will take time. I have been back to the service centre about 5 times in the last year getting them to fix things, and everything was on warranty. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 person

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
A Tesla mobile service is scheduled on May 4th. I hope I can get in touch with a Tesla Representitive who knows Tesla cars not a sales person. Don’t know what to do at this moment.
the mobile service techs are not sales guys - they are indeed service techs.

AutopilotFan

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
A Tesla mobile service is scheduled on May 4th. I hope I can get in touch with a Tesla Representitive who knows Tesla cars not a sales person. Don’t know what to do at this moment.

You'll get a knowledgeable person and not a sales person. Tesla doesn't employ mobile service people who don't know their cars. It's not like they have any NON-Tesla cars to service! The Model Y is new but not enough different from the Model 3 to make a problem. They'll take care of you and they won't try to charge you for it.

gary in NY

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

This model Y was touchless delivered at end of March with 65 miles. It came with quite bit issues, like, protruding dent, paint contamination, misaligned doors, bent seat, road vibrations, etc. All manufacturing problems. Per Tesla’s policy anything under 100 miles will be covered. That leaves me with no room to test it out. A trip to service center is 20 miles. My biggest frustration is there is no one to talk to. Text messages have no specific person on the other end. I didn’t expect everything to be perfect but with this much of trouble still no one to talk to is let down. I bought an brand new BMW X7 three month earlier in the dark of the night without inspect it closely and I am sure if it has problem, I will be taking cared of. With Tesla, I am not saying they won’t take care of it but with no one to talk to, it is hard to know.

That's messed up. Do you have Lemmon law protection in your state?

Tesla Newbie

Newbie No More!
TOO Supporting Member
Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
In my experience, all repair requests are scheduled for mobile service until a human reviews the details and decides whether a trip to the service center is warranted. It's strange that your request hasn't been converted to a service center appointment because of the body issues that clearly can't be resolved by a mobile tech. Perhaps they want to identify the source of the leak and see if it can be patched in the near term and then follow-up with a visit to the service center once it re-opens for what they categorize as non-essential business.

I'm in a similar boat, but my issues are not as serious. Back in late March they scheduled a service center appointment for early May. I've been detailing the problems with pictures to make sure everything is well-documented, although it hasn't been easy finding an email address to send them to. The only one I have is for the (very helpful - thanks Josh) guy who handled my delivery, so I've been sending the emails to him and he has replied with the promise to forward them to service.

Fortunately your mobile appointment is coming up soon. Hopefully the tech looking at the car is able to fix the leak and gives you the confidence that everything will be addressed eventually. In the meantime, perhaps you could reach out to the person who handled your delivery? This may not be in his or her wheelhouse, but in my experience he has been the only option.

And yes, the fact that calls to Tesla now put us in an endless loop of "self-service options" that don't get us anywhere, is incredibly frustrating.