OH NO - I almost bought a new car today!

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I am almost done waiting for the Model 3. I thought for sure I would be able to configure already. Even back before they moved the windows and I had a Dec-Feb window I kept telling people I was hoping to have my car by the end of March so I wouldn't have to answer the "when are you getting your car" question. Now I am still getting that question and I frankly tell people that I have no clue and don't have any high hopes of getting it soon.

Add on top of my discouragement now the fact my wife's Odyssey has been in the shop twice for a noisy left driver window and they have been giving me new cars to drive. The new Accord had everything I wanted except electric but it is 35k for the configuration I want. The new Honda's I have driven were horrible for the self driving features so that calmed me down a bit. It felt like driving like a drunken teen.

Then today my coworker who has also been shopping for a new sedan just pulled the trigger on a new Mazda 6 last night. It has everything: leather, heated seats, HUD, nav, lane keep assist, traffic aware cruise. On top of that Mazda is marking down the 6's plus the dealer marked it down and he got the car for 25k. I really was struggling to justify how I could pay 50k+ for a Tesla that was electric and had better self driving. It makes the 25k difference seem opulent and extravagant and I really had a tough time with it. He had to go down to the dealer to get a couple things so I rode with. I got down there and they had a dark blue/white nappa, a black/black, and a titanium (brown)/black. If they would have had any other color with black interior I probably would have been buying a new Mazda 6 today. I am somewhat thankful they didn't have a silver/black or dark grey/black because I really want my Tesla but I would have probably pulled the trigger on a new Mazda 6.

Tesla please invite me soon! I don't know how much longer I can justify this obsession/cost/delay problem I have going.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am almost done waiting for the Model 3. I thought for sure I would be able to configure already. Even back before they moved the windows and I had a Dec-Feb window I kept telling people I was hoping to have my car by the end of March so I wouldn't have to answer the "when are you getting your car" question. Now I am still getting that question and I frankly tell people that I have no clue and don't have any high hopes of getting it soon.

Add on top of my discouragement now the fact my wife's Odyssey has been in the shop twice for a noisy left driver window and they have been giving me new cars to drive. The new Accord had everything I wanted except electric but it is 35k for the configuration I want. The new Honda's I have driven were horrible for the self driving features so that calmed me down a bit. It felt like driving like a drunken teen.

Then today my coworker who has also been shopping for a new sedan just pulled the trigger on a new Mazda 6 last night. It has everything: leather, heated seats, HUD, nav, lane keep assist, traffic aware cruise. On top of that Mazda is marking down the 6's plus the dealer marked it down and he got the car for 25k. I really was struggling to justify how I could pay 50k+ for a Tesla that was electric and had better self driving. It makes the 25k difference seem opulent and extravagant and I really had a tough time with it. He had to go down to the dealer to get a couple things so I rode with. I got down there and they had a dark blue/white nappa, a black/black, and a titanium (brown)/black. If they would have had any other color with black interior I probably would have been buying a new Mazda 6 today. I am somewhat thankful they didn't have a silver/black or dark grey/black because I really want my Tesla but I would have probably pulled the trigger on a new Mazda 6.

Tesla please invite me soon! I don't know how much longer I can justify this obsession/cost/delay problem I have going.
Amen! I am also waiting patiently for an invite! I am turning in my i3 this coming Saturday and will definitely miss driving electric. The past two weeks, I have test driven the following cars just in case Tesla not invite me by mid-to-late April. Audi A4 Allroad (w/virtual cockpit - very cool!), Nissan Leaf (quite a bit slower than my i3 off the line), Chevy Bolt (Premier model offered to me at $39k - tempting but so plain looking), BMW 330i XDrive (liked the A4 better). Wife and I talked about the Pacifica Plug-in at $48k (qualify for the $7,500 tax credit) but I am afraid of Chrysler reliability. So to sum up, I've been looking but still comes back to the Tesla with 310 miles range and charging network. I have two loans secured for the purchase so come on Tesla! invite me to configure! :(

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Amen! I am also waiting patiently for an invite! I am turning in my i3 this coming Saturday and will definitely miss driving electric. The past two weeks, I have test driven the following cars just in case Tesla not invite me by mid-to-late April. Audi A4 Allroad (w/virtual cockpit - very cool!), Nissan Leaf (quite a bit slower than my i3 off the line), Chevy Bolt (Premier model offered to me at $39k - tempting but so plain looking), BMW 330i XDrive (liked the A4 better). Wife and I talked about the Pacifica Plug-in at $48k (qualify for the $7,500 tax credit) but I am afraid of Chrysler reliability. So to sum up, I've been looking but still comes back to the Tesla with 310 miles range and charging network. I have two loans secured for the purchase so come on Tesla! invite me to configure! :(
I agree with you on the Chrysler reliability. No way would I buy that van even though it has gotten fantastic reviews. Our garage in our current home has oil stains all over it in one bay because the lady who owned our house had a Lexus and a Town and Country. The town and country had oil everywhere. Plus we have rented 2 T&C on a couple vacations and they both stranded us at one point during the vacation and the rental agency had to come swap the van out with another one. So yeah I'll never be buying a Pacifica even if it proves to be better than the T&C but by the time I know that they will be on a new model I won't trust :)

I have never owned an electric and have had mostly Honda and Toyota products for the past 20 years. So the electric Tesla is really a stretch for me and the Mazda isn't as big of a stretch because it falls into the 'dependable' category for me. I literally was sitting down at a sales desk today at a car dealership. I almost lost focus. On a side note the 2018 Ridgeline I am driving right now is pretty nice too. Then again compared to my 2005 Tacoma everything seems space age.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree with you on the Chrysler reliability. No way would I buy that van even though it has gotten fantastic reviews. Our garage in our current home has oil stains all over it in one bay because the lady who owned our house had a Lexus and a Town and Country. The town and country had oil everywhere. Plus we have rented 2 T&C on a couple vacations and they both stranded us at one point during the vacation and the rental agency had to come swap the van out with another one. So yeah I'll never be buying a Pacifica even if it proves to be better than the T&C but by the time I know that they will be on a new model I won't trust :)

I have never owned an electric and have had mostly Honda and Toyota products for the past 20 years. So the electric Tesla is really a stretch for me and the Mazda isn't as big of a stretch because it falls into the 'dependable' category for me. I literally was sitting down at a sales desk today at a car dealership. I almost lost focus. On a side note the 2018 Ridgeline I am driving right now is pretty nice too. Then again compared to my 2005 Tacoma everything seems space age.
Yup. I went on to read the Pacifica forum and several new owners have been stranded already because of the electronics in the Pacifica. Some even got stranded at home after they drove it off the lot and parked at home and the next morning the vehicle was dead. If the reliability was much better, we would consider it since we take one or two road trips a year and the mini-van interior is more comfortable than a sedan for long trips. If Tesla doesn't come through, I may end up with a Bolt. I've also had both Honda and Toyota and very disappointed at both of them for having no compelling electric vehicles I can buy today. They both lost my business.

mtdoak

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I actually have the 2018 Mazda 6 as my "backup" if somehow the Model 3 falls through. Reason he got such a good deal on his 2017/2017.5 Mazda 6 is the refresh is coming out in April. The GT/Signature Line of the Mazda 6 has a turbo engine, nicer finishes, and a few more bells and whistles.

Jakesthree

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Did you consider the Honda Clarity PHEV? I know the exterior looks are a little polarizing but it's nice inside. I've had one for 2 months now and have only filled the small gas tank 3 times while driving nearly 5000 km. By the time summer temperatures get here I should be able to drive 90% all electric. Not too bad.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you consider the Honda Clarity PHEV? I know the exterior looks are a little polarizing but it's nice inside. I've had one for 2 months now and have only filled the small gas tank 3 times while driving nearly 5000 km. By the time summer temperatures get here I should be able to drive 90% all electric. Not too bad.
What kind of all electric range are you getting? Is it close or exceed the 47 miles per charge? The look is not great in my opinion. It looks more comfortable than the Volt though...especially for long distance travel.

sreams

Country
Country
Then today my coworker who has also been shopping for a new sedan just pulled the trigger on a new Mazda 6 last night. It has everything: leather, heated seats, HUD, nav, lane keep assist, traffic aware cruise. On top of that Mazda is marking down the 6's plus the dealer marked it down and he got the car for 25k. I really was struggling to justify how I could pay 50k+ for a Tesla
To be fair... there are no incentives available for the Mazda. So that Tesla is most likely in the $40K range. In my case in particular, incentives add up to $11,200.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Sometimes you need to listen to your rational self, and make the decision that just makes more sense.

Some rare times, your heart tells you that you are waiting to get the best. car. ever.

This is the first time in my life I have this feeling, and I know it may not be 100% rational, but I will let the wait be. ;)
@ummgood & all... empathize with your impatience. I will plead guilty to the same, even more so because at this point even a mid-2019 time for Midnight S≡R≡NITY showing up is rated by some as optimistic... ;)
I really would like to go full electric yet the range I need is at least 250-270 miles and I absolutely need decent looks & size, without paying €80-90k or more... I keep on scouting the used Model S market, yet, as stated before, decent cars with low mileage (<30k miles) are rare or super expensive (north of €60-70k)...
So like you, and many others, @Joaquin , I try to get better and better at the patience game...

If I would fail, or if a major hurdle on Model 3 as I want it (MSM/LRB/Stilettos/PUP... + a growing itch to add EAP... o_O) would occur... like a final price much higher than €55-57k met (i.e. post €6k French incentives...), or a delay beyond 2H19 (!)... I may been to reluctantly pass on a BEV this time around again... and would most likely fall for this... for full disclosure... :oops:

2ee966c7-11e9-44f5-bfb1-e2e54704d859-jpeg.6459

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@ummgood & all... empathize with your impatience. I will plead guilty to the same, even more so because at this point even a mid-2019 time for Midnight S≡R≡NITY showing up is rated by some as optimistic... ;)
I really would like to go full electric yet the range I need is at least 250-270 miles and I absolutely need decent looks & size, without paying €80-90k or more... I keep on scouting the used Model S market, yet, as stated before, decent cars with low mileage (<30k miles) are rare or super expensive (north of €60-70k)...
So like you, and many others, @Joaquin , I try to get better and better at the patience game...

If I would fail, or if a major hurdle on Model 3 as I want it (MSM/LRB/Stilettos/PUP... + a growing itch to add EAP... o_O) would occur... like a final price much higher than €55-57k met (i.e. post €6k French incentives...), or a delay beyond 2H19 (!)... I may been to reluctantly pass on a BEV this time around again... and would most likely fall for this... for full disclosure... :oops:

View attachment 6459
When I took my i3 in for a pre-inspection of lease turn in, they had an X2 on the display floor of the lobby and I looked. Tempting yes, but the thought of going to the gas station regularly to fuel up after charging the i3 daily at home made me more patient about waiting for the 3. I am tempted to get the Bolt if things does not fall into place. Is there a reason you are not considering an Ampera? very low volume for sale?

PTC Gator

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I have an older Ridgeline, still love it.

If you can get a better deal, and it makes sense, then take it. If you build this car up to the point that it's the center of your world, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. It's a neat, cutting edge vehicle, that may or may not be a game-changer. By the same token, 3 years from now there will be another Tesla that's even more S/3/X/Y/R.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
When I took my i3 in for a pre-inspection of lease turn in, they had an X2 on the display floor of the lobby and I looked. Tempting yes, but the thought of going to the gas station regularly to fuel up after charging the i3 daily at home made me more patient about waiting for the 3. I am tempted to get the Bolt if things does not fall into place. Is there a reason you are not considering an Ampera? very low volume for sale?
Quick (;)), like I said, the X2 would be a last resort, for the same reason you outline... while super slick looking (especially as pictured in the sunset orange, M Sport delivery!), it’s still a fossil, as Bjørn always says...

I really want a BEV with a) long enough range, b) large enough in inner room + trunk space and c) aesthetically pleasing, d) at a price not excessive in my eyes... Apart from the fact the Ampera-e (EU version of the Bolt) availability in my region is greatly in question, as far as I understand, and that price therefore is immaterial, it only meets one of the first three criteria (spoiler alert: it’s not the third... ;)). The i3 meets none in my eyes, as of today.

My itch for a reasonably priced pre-owned S, with enough range, is definitely harder to control though each day, yet, since they don’t come as dime in a dozen, chances are still greater I’ll end up waiting the daing additional 15+ months for my Midnight S≡R≡NITY!! :)

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Quick (;)), like I said, the X2 would be a last resort. I really want a BEV with a) long enough range, b) large enough in inner room + trunk space and c) aesthetically pleasing, d) at a price not excessive in my eyes... Apart from the fact the Ampera-e (EU version of the Bolt) availability in my region is greatly in question, as far as I understand, and that price therefore is immaterial, it only meets one of the first three criteria (spoiler alert: it’s not the third... ;)). The i3 meets none in my eyes, as of today.

My itch for a reasonably price pre-owned S, with enough range, is definitely harder to control though each dag, yet, since they don’t as dice in a dozen, chances are still greater I’ll end up waiting the daing additional 15+ months for my Midnight S≡R≡NITY!! :)
Agreed. The i3 is not a looker at all and the range, even with the upgraded battery, is no where near the 3 for a price similar to the LR 3. I wanted to live with a BEV to see what it is like and compromised on the i3's look. The dealer asked me if I would like to order the i3S (aesthetics improved marginally) and I said no because of the short range. I can't imagine having to wait another 15+ month :eek: in your case! I've been checking the CPO site daily and saw a few S60 but really want a S85 if the 3 does not come through. I hope I am in the home stretch and will get invited this week or the next two weeks. ;)

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I actually have the 2018 Mazda 6 as my "backup" if somehow the Model 3 falls through. Reason he got such a good deal on his 2017/2017.5 Mazda 6 is the refresh is coming out in April. The GT/Signature Line of the Mazda 6 has a turbo engine, nicer finishes, and a few more bells and whistles.
I found the acceleration on his very lacking. He floored it and the car felt fun but it didn't pull me into the seat at all. The rest of the car is great. His is the GT but it doesn't have the premium package that has the weird regen braking thing or the rear heated seats. It has all the other gadgets.

I really have a hard time buying a hybrid. I know the Toyotas are reliable but I just don't like the complexity associated with it. I feel like there is more to break. I am either going to stay with a traditional ICE that I can tinker with myself or a full BEV. I don't like the Bolt because it isn't sporty at all and frankly I really want my next car to be sporty feeling.

How's the window for the right driver?
haha I meant the driver window versus the left rear window. I guess I could have said left front. That doesn't account to the fact my wife does on occasion stomp on the invisible brake on the right floor board when I am driving.

To be fair... there are no incentives available for the Mazda. So that Tesla is most likely in the $40K range. In my case in particular, incentives add up to $11,200.
Agreed but in Texas I only qualify for the $7500 incentive. Plus part of that is gone due to the increased sales tax.

Sometimes you need to listen to your rational self, and make the decision that just makes more sense.

Some rare times, your heart tells you that you are waiting to get the best. car. ever.

This is the first time in my life I have this feeling, and I know it may not be 100% rational, but I will let the wait be. ;)
Yeah I would have probably have done that if they had a color I would have liked. I wasn't willing to buy a car that I have to live with for 10 years and I don't like.

View attachment 6459
I am in the same boat as you. I can get on the BEV bandwagon if it isn't too expensive that is why I never looked at an S or X. Used they have too many miles for me to be comfortable to buy if they are in the 3 price range. Add onto that I usually buy a brand new car and pamper it the entire time I own it and drive it until it is dead. My truck isn't technically dead yet but I am going to let my daughter drive it when she turns 16 next year.

I have an older Ridgeline, still love it.

If you can get a better deal, and it makes sense, then take it. If you build this car up to the point that it's the center of your world, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. It's a neat, cutting edge vehicle, that may or may not be a game-changer. By the same token, 3 years from now there will be another Tesla that's even more S/3/X/Y/R.
I really don't want another truck but it is really nice. If I got another truck I think I would probably be getting a Ridgeline RTL-E. I really like it and the extra features it has over a traditional truck. I don't need to tow something obscene or haul insane stuff in the bed so it would work for me. Plus I like how roomy the interior is. My kids like the trunk in the bed haha.

I couldn't believe I could get an RTIC ice chest in there and close it. That is impressive.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
We have a Q7 and *love* that virtual cockpit!

I was soooo tempted so splurge on a S5 coupe. Holy crap I love that car.
I love the S5 too but I need 3 seats in the back. I was tempted to get an S5 4 door but I just can't get myself to pay for the lux brands. I really am frugal by nature even though I can afford the payment it is a struggle. I about pooped my pants when I signed up for my wifes 40k van because that was the most I ever spent for a car.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We have a Q7 and *love* that virtual cockpit!

I was soooo tempted so splurge on a S5 coupe. Holy crap I love that car.
The "S" models on the showroom floor were very tempting. I looked at, if I remember correctly, a sweet looking S3 and S4... The A4 Allroad was more practical for us and had the cool virtual cockpit and other techs.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I feel your pain, I've had several moments of weakness. I've test driven: Bolt, Volt, Civic, 3 Series, A3 Etron, A5 sportsback and Clarity PHEV over my model 3 long wait. The beginning of the winter was particularly hard due to bad weather and using public transit. I have refused to get a transition car as I consider that money that could be better spent in accessories for y actual new car. The one car that almost got me to sign was the A5 sportsback. It has everything I want on a car, except it is not electric. Ironically, the day I had finally decided to go an buy it (because I was tired of the bad weather), ended up having terrible weather, so I decided not to visit the dealership on that day. Then on the next day I was back to being ready to hold a little longer for the Model 3. I plan to do a lot of hiking during the summer and I intend to use my new car for that, so I have made up my mind that if I don't get my invite by April 30th then I'll just get something else. Spoiler: I will probably gain new strength and end up holding regardless.

We need a support group......