OFFICIAL Model 3 PRODUCTION CARS sightings

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

avoigt

Country
Country
And yet not one non-employee report of delivery, in spite of the hoopla that deliveries would start early this week. Very disappointing.
not true - the person with cancer is a non employee and confirmed he received the car ......but its an exception of course. However I assume it will be the X-mas present for many who configured and are waiting.

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
not true - the person with cancer is a non employee and confirmed he received the car ......but its an exception of course. However I assume it will be the X-mas present for many who configured and are waiting.
Yes, I knew about that exception, but because it was a one-off (like the guy who got an M3 a couple of months ago because his son worked at Tesla) my statement that "no non-employee" deliveries occurred still seems valid.

When we see "regular Joes (and Janes)" getting theirs, we'll be at the cusp of a new day.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I FINALLY SAW ONE*!!!

(*Three, actually)

Following up on a report of three Model 3s spotted at the Dedham, MA location yesterday, I swung by on the way home and was surprised to find that all three were still there!

There were Tesla employees milling about the lot while I was there, so I dutifully obeyed the newly-posted "Private Property - No Entry" sign and hastily took a few pictures through the chain-link fence. Got a good up-close look at the black one from the rear, and could see the red one pretty well from the front and side. No VINs, of course, but I wouldn't expect any significantly larger numbers to have made it out here yet.

The one thing that surprised me was how small the car looked amidst the sea of Model S and X, especially when viewed from the front. Given the exterior dimensions on paper, I thought I had a pretty good sense for how they compared, but I guess not!

The other interesting thing I noticed was the conspicuous amount of salt buildup on the red one, even though it appeared that they had just rinsed most of the car off. As I've mentioned before, Massachusetts likes to salt the ever-loving crap out of the roads during winter, so it wouldn't shock me if merely driving the car around the block produced that result.

At any rate, it was a thrilling, strangely emotional experience to finally see a Model 3 in person. It's as though the encounter forced my brain to accept that: yes, the car is real; yes, it looks fantastic (even with aero wheels! ;)); and yes, it is ON ITS WAY HERE!

img_20171214_195102_670-jpg.4422
20171214_161301-jpg.4423
20171214_154756-jpg.4424

Last edited:

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
"If you look at the numbering of columns, the last one is 25 and there are about 12 cars per column. That lot was full and I couldn't get it in the picture but 25*12*80% (there were a few X's and S's in there) = 240. Someone made a video of the lot yesterday and it was maybe half full with some of the cars with white transport wrapper on them. This picture was taken this morning around 8am and the lot was full with no cars with white transport wrapper so I can assume that those cars got shipped later yesterday."

https://www.reddit.com/message/unread/
Important question is why are they stockpiling and apparently not delivering?

Daliman

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know in the Toronto area Tesla is holding a mass delivery event at the International Centre for 8 days. At least 50 deliveries from the vehicles parked outside, a large hall rented. I don't think this has been done in Canada before. I can't think of a reason not to deliver those in California. Is it possible that there is a lot of turnover on those lots? Could these be for a large group invited say Christmas day that is willing to keep the delivery event quiet?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sometimes, logistics is just difficult.

You're not entirely sure when you can increase production rate. You need to schedule trucks for picking up & delivering the cars. You need to figure out where to send the cars. I don't know anything for sure, but it feels like Tesla as a company does not yet have a good handle on controlling the logistics of this production ramp-up. Hopefully they'll figure things out quickly.

Or... maybe they're much closer to 200,000 US sales than we think, and they're trying to limit deliveries before Jan 1. :)

Last edited:

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Sometimes, logistics is just difficult.

You're not entirely sure when you can increase production rate. You need to schedule trucks for picking up & delivering the cars. You need to figure out where to send the cars. I don't know anything for sure, but it feels like Tesla as a company does not yet have a good handle on controlling the logistics of this production ramp-up. Hopefully they'll figure things out quickly.

Or... maybe they're much closer to 200,000 US sales than we think, and they're trying to limit deliveries before Jan 1. :)
I tend to lean more towards your second scenario. Perhaps all the negative press from the "backlog" caused a whole bunch of folks to go with an S or X and they are sitting on the cusp of the 200,000 mark. It would then be totally understandable that they would stockpile American deliveries until after the 1st.

Dan

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know in the Toronto area Tesla is holding a mass delivery event at the International Centre for 8 days. At least 50 deliveries from the vehicles parked outside, a large hall rented. I don't think this has been done in Canada before. I can't think of a reason not to deliver those in California. Is it possible that there is a lot of turnover on those lots? Could these be for a large group invited say Christmas day that is willing to keep the delivery event quiet?
Tesla had something similar back when the Model S first became available here on account of not having a large enough lot. Ah the early days. I stopped into the location yesterday and back of the napkin math counted at least 200 cars waiting for delivery. The event is from December 12-20 so I'm sure it's part of the 4th quarter delivery push.

img_5853-jpg.4428

Last edited:

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla had some similar back when the Model S first became available here on account of not having a large enough lot. Ah the early days. I stopped into the location yesterday and back of the napkin math counted at least 200 cars waiting for delivery. The event is from December 12-20 so I'm sure it's part of the 4th quarter delivery push.

View attachment 4428
An X for Trevor for Christmas? :eek:

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla had some similar back when the Model S first became available here on account of not having a large enough lot. Ah the early days. I stopped into the location yesterday and back of the napkin math counted at least 200 cars waiting for delivery. The event is from December 12-20 so I'm sure it's part of the 4th quarter delivery push.

View attachment 4428
These of course don't count for a possible 200K US deliveries.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
My two leading theories is that
1) they are bunching up 2 weeks of production to deliver in 1 week so they can announce they produced and delivered 1000 vehicles in one week and/or
2j they want to deliver to non employee/family with a much more refined UI. There will be no gag NDAs or restrictions to speak your mind once general release occurs. The original UI was missing so many basics like FM and heated seats. Still, rear heated seats and WiFi have not been enabled. If you look at the UI tracker, there has been a huge jump in update frequency in the past month. Just today 2017.50 was released (sigh...I’m still on 2017.44...). Maybe THIS is the acceptable version and once validated with more downloads, it’s possible the fleet of finished M3s will get updated and be released to roam free.

PLEASE, any current M3 owner, log in your UI data on the UI tracker!!! There are NO M3 owners updating their UI info there. http://ev-fw.com/reports.php

Daliman

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

View attachment 4428
Hard to tell but from that photo it looks like they have doubled the number of vehicles waiting for delivery since my visit. I think Tesla is pushing for a big quarter for deliveries here. The stacks in the US would make sense if they are aiming at hitting 200000 soon. The Model 3 ramp starting in volume and US tax credit phase out starting in January would make 2018 spectacular.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Hard to tell but from that photo it looks like they have doubled the number of vehicles waiting for delivery since my visit. I think Tesla is pushing for a big quarter for deliveries here. The stacks in the US would make sense if they are aiming at hitting 200000 soon. The Model 3 ramp starting in volume and US tax credit phase out starting in January would make 2018 spectacular.
Honestly, I don't think that they're anywhere close to 200k and even if Tesla was close, they wouldn't hoard M3s now because they NEED to deliver non-employee vehicles before the end of the year - It's good PR.