Official Delivery Event Thread

So many threads. I don’t know if this is the right one, but I thought this may be of interest to some.

I got a reservation for a Model 3 on the reveal day at a store in California.

The other day, I got a surprise call from Tesla Motors with an offer for a test drive. I hesitated to accept the offer during the call. He followed up with an email. I wanted to be honest and up front. So, I explained that the possibility of me buying a Model S was about as close to zero as you can get.

His response was: “
We are more than open to hosting educational Model S test drives for Model 3 customers. The Model S will give you an opportunity to check out and learn more about the vehicles and see features such as the Autopilot. If you were interested in coming in for a drive, did you have a specific showroom that you would prefer?”

So, I went for the test drive. When I got to the store, I reiterated my position and there was a very brief sales pitch, but then the test drive. It was ….. well, just list all of the superlatives that you can think of. The drive itself was about 35 minutes, and I was briefly able try out the Autopilot.

I was interested in the hill holding feature. It is taken care of, I guess, in the Creep mode, which emulates an ICE with automatic transmission. I have been driving a car and a truck for years with manual transmissions. I want to turn it off. What happens then? He demonstrated.

If you are stopped on a hill with Creep off and you are pressing lightly on the brake. When you take your foot off, it will roll. This would be useful in some circumstances. But, if you press hard on the brake and take your foot off, it will hold until you press the accelerator.

This might be a minor feature for many people, but for where I live, it’s great news. Not just on roads, but especially on steep driveways going into and out of grocery store parking lots.

I got a glimpse of their daily schedule. It was a week day and was completely filled up with test drive.

I want to thank Tesla and the people at the Rocklin, CA store for their time with me.
woot woot i waited out at the Rocklin, Ca store over night and got my reservation in about 10 min after they opened, was #21 in line! :) happy to see a fellow Rocklin, CAer here! :)

JimB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
woot woot i waited out at the Rocklin, Ca store over night and got my reservation in about 10 min after they opened, was #21 in line! :) happy to see a fellow Rocklin, CAer here! :)
I got there at 10 am. I thought there might be a 100 people in line. There was probably 500. Spent 3.5 hours in line and got my reservation at 1:30. I can't wait. I'm going for RWD, LR, Premium with an estimated delivery of Nov-Jan.

kmngq

Country
Country

I was interested in the hill holding feature. It is taken care of, I guess, in the Creep mode, which emulates an ICE with automatic transmission. I have been driving a car and a truck for years with manual transmissions. I want to turn it off. What happens then? He demonstrated.

If you are stopped on a hill with Creep off and you are pressing lightly on the brake. When you take your foot off, it will roll. This would be useful in some circumstances. But, if you press hard on the brake and take your foot off, it will hold until you press the accelerator.

This might be a minor feature for many people, but for where I live, it’s great news. Not just on roads, but especially on steep driveways going into and out of grocery store parking lots.
i stand corrected.
i guess a few mercedes and some old cars had it.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a foot-actuated parking brake on my manual pickup truck back in high school. It was 90s-era, 4-speed. The proper procedure for a hill start was to roll backward, gun it, and slam it into gear.
The clutch rarely worked.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a foot-actuated parking brake on my manual pickup truck back in high school. It was 90s-era, 4-speed.
I drove a couple of manual-transmission GM small trucks with bench seats in the 80's. I'm pretty sure there were no handbrakes in those things.

I never found it that hard to start on a hill. It was just a matter of quick foot work and timing.

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had an 83 CJ-7. Starting that thing on a hill was tons of fun. Was really just a lot of quick footwork and I only used the break if I was going to be sitting on the hill for an extended period of time. Holding the heavy clutch in made my leg start shaking after a couple mins.

The other strange thing with that car was the the high beams switch was on the floor under the emergency brake.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I drove a couple of manual-transmission GM small trucks with bench seats in the 80's. I'm pretty sure there were no handbrakes in those things.

I never found it that hard to start on a hill. It was just a matter of quick foot work and timing.
We aren’t known for our hills in flat South Florida, but our equivalent for a hill start would be a highway off ramp. I really never found it hard to start the car but there would generally be a moment of concern if the person behind me pulled close.