Official Delivery Event Thread

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

MarkB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And US rebates aren't the only consideration. BC, for example, has a very time-sensitive scrap-it incentive that dries up in the first quarter of every year. Are they going to "do the right thing" to maximize those?
Different situations. The US system is a race. When the 200,000th vehicle is sold by Tesla in the USA, the countdown timer starts. Try to deliver as many vehicles as possible by the each of the sequential deadlines.

The Scrap-It program is a counter not a timer. And its not limited to Tesla. Apparently, according to this link, there's still some of the $6,000 incentives remaining at specific dealerships, for specific vehicles that are currently in stock.

Frankly, I think Tesla should market their product completely ignorant of incentives since they are all temporary. But they can do what they want... I just would have appreciated some honesty. There was no vagueness in the wording. I had every reason to expect that as a "West coast of North America" purchaser that I'd be getting mine early... because that's what they said. And continued to say right up until a few days ago.
I don't recall the exact wording, but that's not how I interpreted it.

If incentives exist, Tesla (and all the other companies) have to take advantage of them. They really don't have a choice because they have a duty to their shareholders. The incentive help sell more vehicles. They allow the purchasers to save significant money, and allow many to buy a vehicle they couldn't otherwise afford.

I'm planning on getting ZERO incentives. If some program starts, that can save me some money -- great!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had every reason to expect that as a "West coast of North America" purchaser that I'd be getting mine early... because that's what they said.
Yep, that was unfortunate. I found that original wording in the Google Cache of Tesla's Model 3 FAQ:

When will my Model 3 be delivered?
Model 3 production is scheduled to begin in mid 2017. At this time, the delivery estimate for new reservations is mid 2018 or later, depending on country of delivery. Once production begins, we will begin deliveries in North America starting on the West Coast, moving east. As we continue to ramp production, we will begin deliveries in Europe, APAC and right-hand drive markets. As we get closer to production, we will have more details to share with you.

Daliman

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And US rebates aren't the only consideration. BC, for example, has a very time-sensitive scrap-it incentive that dries up in the first quarter of every year. Are they going to "do the right thing" to maximize those? Frankly, I think Tesla should market their product completely ignorant of incentives since they are all temporary. But they can do what they want... I just would have appreciated some honesty. There was no vagueness in the wording. I had every reason to expect that as a "West coast of North America" purchaser that I'd be getting mine early... because that's what they said. And continued to say right up until a few days ago.

I suppose I feel it affects me more than most because I put a lot into planning and without early access, those plans are all but wasted. I was basing those plans on information that was right there in print for all to see. I thought that was solid.

Whatever, I have to roll with it.

[/pity party]

On to a fun note: I got SUPER excited this afternoon! An unknown number came up on my phone today, just saying "California". I figured it was a telemarketer, but the guy introduced himself and said he was from Tesla. He says something like this (totally paraphrasing but its pretty close):I says, "uh yeah" [nearly crapping pants]. I says, "you betcha!"I says, "no problem, just tell me when"."Model 3. Yep... gimme gimme".[awkward silence. Palm to forehead]"So... ya'll can see I have two reservations for the Model 3, right?"uh huh"I interrupted and I'm not really sure how that went after that. My supreme excitement came quickly crashing down. I may have hung up on him, I don't really recall.
While I share your concerns I think that the late 2018 date we have been given is just a worst case. All reservations from the first in line until July 2017 have the same estimate. Once the Model 3 us approved for Canada I expect we will get a more reslistic number.

I got the same call as you did around May. Offered test drive of S or X fid not want to mention 3. Waiting impatiently with you.

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I share Steven's frustration with the international roll-out of M3, and I don't think it's unreasonable to feel this way. As well as a previous version of the M3 FAQ, EM tweeted just a few months ago that RHD cars would be available in summer '18, so clearly Tesla have not done a good job of managing expectations.

Luckily for you, the impact appears to be minimal, but this may not be the same for others who may have planned around previous Tesla communications.

My personal frustrations are primarily a result of my impatience!! Considering MS CPO to alleviate my frustrations....
Delivery dates on Tesla website have always been much too optimistic. Which has been said here time and time again.
That's why I've always calculated on January 2019.

Concerning non-US North America, the logic to deliver first nearby in the US has been to be able to cope with problems fast. Returning a broken down car back to Fremont from another country is a whole lot more difficult than from New York. So it has always been unlogical to think that western Canada would have preference over parts of US.
Plus the logic around the US tax credit.

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Remember people.
Tesla ISN'T building a Model 3 for you.
Tesla is trying to get as many cars (any model) on the road to speed up the transition to BEV.

Some people benefit from the price, delivery and production changes they have made and will make to achieve that. Others will get a disappointment. It's all the prerogative of the seller.
We want a Tesla, so we will have to accept that. Try and be positive about that.

Model34mePlease

Country
Country
Remember people.
Tesla ISN'T building a Model 3 for you.
Tesla is trying to get as many cars (any model) on the road to speed up the transition to BEV.

Some people benefit from the price, delivery and production changes they have made and will make to achieve that. Others will get a disappointment. It's all the prerogative of the seller.
We want a Tesla, so we will have to accept that. Try and be positive about that.
Agreed, but the original wording in the faq, above, was certainly misleading and unfortunate, whether that was an accident or whether other issues caused Tesla's plans to change. I'm sure it wasn't because there was any intent to mislead.

Steven

Country
Country
So it has always been unlogical to think that western Canada would have preference over parts of US..
I don't agree. There is perfect logic in accepting what was written would be true. If they knew all along that it was going to be USA first (in entirety), then why not simply save the six bytes of storage space and do away with the word "North"? Besides, Canada is different. There's no "approval" and it's an open border. The car is already built for homologization. California makes sense just as employees first makes sense. But after that, it is faster, easier, and cheaper to ship to Vancouver than New York. Trucks vs trains. Of course you can make a valid argument to refute that, but it isn't so clear cut that it justifies the lie.

I've made my case. Clearly plenty of people have agreed with me. I'm not sure why you feel the need to justify everything Tesla does too the Nth degree. They CAN do wrong, and they did here. They aren't perfect, and I can accept that. Can you?

3Victoria

Plus the fact that Canadians are pretty sensitive* to 1/ getting lumped in to 'american'; and 2/ being ignored by our biggest trading partner -- especially as EM has a significant connection to Canada and, I would assume, being aware of the niceties.

* -- Whether or not this is justified, good friends should be aware of the other's foibles.

Kbm3

Country
Country
Very nice. I agree that Musk's more slowly ramp up in the first weeks is the more probable.

But where both your and Musk's graphs go wrong is that you reach a plateau of 5 k per week end of December 2017. Where we all know that the ramp up continues after that towards 10k in December 2018.

When you put that into a graph - presuming that reality will happen accordingly (!) - you will see that the ramp up in the first weeks will go even slower. But also that it's very probable that 10k will be (almost) reached months before December 2018.
I am assuming the plan is to add a second model three manufacturing line sometime in 2018 that will have its own S curve.

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think you are just seeing a reflection.
View attachment 2686
You're probably right.
Not that it matters very much. Just made me wonder about the thickness of the aluminium body panels and their resistance to dents.
Aluminium tends to be thicker and more flexible than steel. At least the aluminium body panels that I know, are.

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am assuming the plan is to add a second model three manufacturing line sometime in 2018 that will have its own S curve.
Could be. Or it's a third and fourth line, or ... We actually don't know.
My presumption was also very theoretical, because industrial progress doesn't go linear or mathematical.
My main point was that we shouldn't put too much value on exact numbers produced coming months - or the probable effect on delivery of our car. We just have to wait and see, knowing Tesla is doing it's utmost to put as many cars as fast as possible on the road.

JimB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So many threads. I don’t know if this is the right one, but I thought this may be of interest to some.

I got a reservation for a Model 3 on the reveal day at a store in California.

The other day, I got a surprise call from Tesla Motors with an offer for a test drive. I hesitated to accept the offer during the call. He followed up with an email. I wanted to be honest and up front. So, I explained that the possibility of me buying a Model S was about as close to zero as you can get.

His response was: “
We are more than open to hosting educational Model S test drives for Model 3 customers. The Model S will give you an opportunity to check out and learn more about the vehicles and see features such as the Autopilot. If you were interested in coming in for a drive, did you have a specific showroom that you would prefer?”

So, I went for the test drive. When I got to the store, I reiterated my position and there was a very brief sales pitch, but then the test drive. It was ….. well, just list all of the superlatives that you can think of. The drive itself was about 35 minutes, and I was briefly able try out the Autopilot.

I was interested in the hill holding feature. It is taken care of, I guess, in the Creep mode, which emulates an ICE with automatic transmission. I have been driving a car and a truck for years with manual transmissions. I want to turn it off. What happens then? He demonstrated.

If you are stopped on a hill with Creep off and you are pressing lightly on the brake. When you take your foot off, it will roll. This would be useful in some circumstances. But, if you press hard on the brake and take your foot off, it will hold until you press the accelerator.

This might be a minor feature for many people, but for where I live, it’s great news. Not just on roads, but especially on steep driveways going into and out of grocery store parking lots.

I got a glimpse of their daily schedule. It was a week day and was completely filled up with test drive.

I want to thank Tesla and the people at the Rocklin, CA store for their time with me.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you are stopped on a hill with Creep off and you are pressing lightly on the brake. When you take your foot off, it will roll. This would be useful in some circumstances. But, if you press hard on the brake and take your foot off, it will hold until you press the accelerator.
I knew they had a hill-hold feature, but I didn't know exactly how it worked. Thanks for the explanation.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
driving a 5-speed, I would not use creep, and do end up stopping in traffic on hills often, so looking forward to this
(my current method is glaring at the oblivious person behind me in an automatic 3 inches off my bumper, pulling the hand brake and when the traffic starts to move putting it in gear with enough gas to chirp the tires while releasing the handbrake. if a steep enough hill sometimes smoking the clutch too. The difference in the clutch between my two cars is ridiculous).

Model34mePlease

Country
Country
driving a 5-speed, I would not use creep, and do end up stopping in traffic on hills often, so looking forward to this
(my current method is glaring at the oblivious person behind me in an automatic 3 inches off my bumper, pulling the hand brake and when the traffic starts to move putting it in gear with enough gas to chirp the tires while releasing the handbrake. if a steep enough hill sometimes smoking the clutch too. The difference in the clutch between my two cars is ridiculous).
And it's a good thing you have a 'hand' brake and not a foot-pushed parking brake where that maneuver would not be possible.

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And it's a good thing you have a 'hand' brake and not a foot-pushed parking brake where that maneuver would not be possible.
Oh, it is possible. I have a manual car with a foot-pushed parking brake (with manual disengagement).
You just need to do some more disengaging and engaging of gears, with the acompanying clutchwork, while holding onto the brake. I sometimes feel like an church organist... ;)

Model34mePlease

Country
Country
Oh, it is possible. I have a manual car with a foot-pushed parking brake (with manual disengagement).
You just need to do some more disengaging and engaging of gears, with the acompanying clutchwork, while holding onto the brake. I sometimes feel like an church organist... ;)
Been there and done that. Left foot on the clutch, right heel on the brake and toe on the gas.