Official Delivery Event Thread

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

ModFather

old CARmudgeon
Country
Country
I'm going to contact customer service and see what they can tell me!
Okay. I just called TESLA customer service and talked to Will. I am only repeating what I was told so don't hold me accountable for any misinformation.

1. I asked when a TESLA 3 might be available for viewing in a local showroom. Will said there are no plans for distributing 3s to showrooms, AT THIS TIME. he said all effort is being put into building cars, AT THIS TIME. I told him I thought maybe there would be some RC car for viewing in the showroom. He said no, all effort is being put into building cars, AT THIS TIME.

2. I asked Will about the 18" wheels and the wheel covers. He said customer service was told a final decision has not been made on what the 18" wheels will be, AT THIS TIME. He said he had no other information than that.

Well, that clears things up, doesn't it!

sclyde

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey @TrevP how do the aero wheels look on the various colors? From the pics I saw it looks like its best with the lighter colors (white and Silver) and looks gaudy on the rest.
edit: image attached. I was hoping it would auto embed from the google album.

Attachments

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
on your rides, did you notice turn signal indicators (inside the car)? I've not seen any mention of how they are being handled yet.
In one of the ride videos, I think the turn signal indicators appear on the center screen, on either side of the speedometer. Apparently the remain lit instead of flashing.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was actually thinking about posting this. Unfortunately, he did not rally say anything new. He did re emphasize the simplicity in manufacturing. I think this thread needs a healthy dose of that reminder.
yeah, I was actually hoping when I saw it posted that he would have gone into his driving experience a bit more - and looking at the comments, you can tell his main viewer is not strictly Tesla people ;)

Hezekiah

Country
Country
yeah, I was actually hoping when I saw it posted that he would have gone into his driving experience a bit more - and looking at the comments, you can tell his main viewer is not strictly Tesla people ;)
Yeah, I knew his circles weren't Tesla nuts, but I figured since he loved his car he would have thought about a good question to ask in the secret meeting to get inside info.

Butt it looks like he represents the average consumer. Which is a rally good thing from Tesla's perspective. They are the ones who need to be alerted that Tesla is an option.

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Please try to be more polite in your replies. We really want this site to be friendly.

Steven's original post was right after the event, when we were all blindsided by information that didn't always meet our expectations. Many of us were a bit emotional at the time because of this. I'm hoping that he's calmed down since then. Try to have patience with him.
You're right @garsh. It wasn't polite. My temper is no excuse.

Still, I get so fed up with people who complain that the car isn't up to the highest of their - often irrational / unbased - expectations. And then blame Tesla for the disappointment they created themselves.
Maybe I was tired too in this case. He said he whined, which I confirmed.

Tesla has done a tremendous job. The car isn't cheap, but they never said it would be. They have made true all there promises. And now have the incredible task to produce half a million cars as soon as they can.
Now it's up to us to choose, given our desires and financial possibilities. I think it's stupid to blame Tesla if our desires and the real life possibilities don't meet up 100 %.

I'll try to curb my temper.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Still, I get so fed up with people who complain that the car isn't up to the highest of their - often irrational / unbased - expectations. And then blame Tesla for the disappointment they created themselves.
Do what I do when I get wound up like that:

Go to seekingalpha and bash the naysayers there instead. ;)

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry @garsh. Don't agree. Neither going to Seeking Alpha, not bashing naysayers has any use. I don't go there any more. Even the Facebook groups are almost as bad.
The M3OC shows and this forum are by far the best and most balanced source of info. Which is why my temper shows up when I read nonsense or shortsightedness here. We shouldn't want those on this forum.

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Okay. I just called TESLA customer service and talked to Will. I am only repeating what I was told so don't hold me accountable for any misinformation.

1. I asked when a TESLA 3 might be available for viewing in a local showroom. Will said there are no plans for distributing 3s to showrooms, AT THIS TIME. he said all effort is being put into building cars, AT THIS TIME. I told him I thought maybe there would be some RC car for viewing in the showroom. He said no, all effort is being put into building cars, AT THIS TIME.

2. I asked Will about the 18" wheels and the wheel covers. He said customer service was told a final decision has not been made on what the 18" wheels will be, AT THIS TIME. He said he had no other information than that.

Well, that clears things up, doesn't it!
Problem with employees is that they often know less than we do.
Two months ago someone from the Tesla EU headquarters in Amsterdam told me the showrooms WOULD be getting cars. Probably upgraded RC's. In US end of this year. Internationally / in The Netherlands (unclear) in the spring of 2018.

However, it seems sensible for Tesla to be vague at this point, to prevent rumours and unwanted expectations or questions. Their main task is realising the ramp up.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
My Model 3 Report

Folks, I'm here to report that Model 3 is indeed a game changer for Tesla in many ways. What I want to focus on in this report is QUALITY.

I've been around enough Model S to see that panels, even on new cars, don't always line up or have even gaps. I don't know if this due to quality control or just subpar dies but I can tell you Model 3 fit and finish is better than Model S. And it particularly shows in the interior.

I've been vocal in the past about my thoughts on Model S interior, namely that if they took that and put it into the Model 3 that it would work out OK. Model S needs a better interior given the price. But man, the Model 3 interior is SPECTACULAR. The fit and finish is sooo much better than Model S. I know that sounds a bit fanboi-sh but it's my opinion based on what I've experienced first-hand, even on new cars.

If you watch Bjørn's video at the 5:00 mark you can see me get in the front and immediately start touching things. That's what I was interested in because let's face it, that's where we spend our time.

Everything I touched was soft-touch materials. Fit and finish was as good as any BMW 3 series which is my benchmark for cars in this segment. Alcantara (artificial suede) on the headliner, pillars, door inserts. The seats were super comfortable and had the vegan material which felt like leather.

The screen is SOLID. I've been getting a lot of comments about the screen looking like it was just glued onto the dash so I had to test it and I yanked on it HARD. Didn't budge. It doesn't tilt or pivot. It's placed perfectly for both the driver and passenger to interact without reaching far. Controls and speed of the interface are very responsive so I will surmise they have a new CPU in there.

The new HVAC system is really neat. The slit runs from side to side and has no controls at all. Everything is done on the touch screen. You touch the center fan icon to bring up the fan speed and on either side you get a box with a cross hair and a "pill" icon you can drag around in the to box position the vents on either side and they respond in like. There's another slit in the front for the defroster.

View attachment 2542

Steering wheel feels beefy like the Model S with the slight flat bottom. It has 2 scroll wheels, one on either side. They also have side to side click motions so they act like a Dpad of sorts. They're contextual too so the functions change depending on what you have on the screen. Adjusting the steering wheel for example is done by bringing up the control panel and using the scroll wheels you adjust tilt and telescoping. Really cool. Same with the wipers and mirrors!

Glove box has a large opening but it's rather shallow so don't expect to put much in there. You open it by touching a button on the screen.

The main center console has 2 covers that soft-open when you touch them. Lots of storage and the front one has 2 slots to blind insert phones! 2 USB ports are found in there. The interior of the console is flocked for a premium feel.
The back arm rest lifts up and you can reach down and under the cup holders so the whole thing is open front back to front. Wasn't expecting that! Oh, and the interior of the console is LED lit.

View attachment 2543

All doors have pockets for bottles and the seats have pockets in the back for things like maps. Door opening buttons are LED lit and found on the inside right top of the grab handle. To open the door just put your hand on the grab handle and move your thumb sightly and press. Very ergonomic.

View attachment 2541
View attachment 2540

There are 2 coat hooks in the upper rear sides just behind the back cross member. Push on them and they pop out.

In the front overhead cross member are 2 map lights and the hazard button is located right in the middle of them and it lit in red at night so you can't miss it.

Sun shades are decent in size and have vanity mirrors that have 2 warm frosted LED strips on either side. Finally. The pivot down and can be moved to the window as well.

Ken was sitting in the back and reports legroom is excellent and the floor is flat so lots of room to put things. The rear armrest folds down and has 2 cup holders in it.
The rear of the center console has HVAC vents which you can position for each passenger and 2 USB ports. There are 2 map lights in the rear cross member.

Keep in mind this was the PREMIUM interior on these cars, we have no idea what the base interiors will be like. I expect seat material will be different and maybe a bit less stuff like cloth instead of Alcantara for the headliner etc...

I'm sure there's more to report but so far you're going to LOVE the interior materials and fit and finish. Tesla has learned a lot and has absolutely nailed the interior on the Model 3 and fixed all the deficiencies that I've complained about the Model S. On that front alone the Model 3 really is the NEW Tesla and Model S has some catching up to do in this department now. Which I suspect will happen soon enough ;)

One more thing and I know lots of people have been asking and speculating for over a year...

I had magnets with me and just before getting into the car I pulled one out and touched the door panels and fender.... nothing. Model 3 has aluminum panels. I can't vouch for the shell and inner structure but I was a guessing man it's mostly aluminum with steel crash protection like Model S

Ask if you have questions if I forgot anything...

(apologies for the potato pictures, I didn't have the flash enabled on my phone and time in the car was very short)
Awesome report, can't thank you and the team enough for these detailed interior points.

And your closing point about the magnet.......I had fully expected steel for the outer sheet metal.