Odd Japanese car designs

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree with you SFM3. The reason is that the design is simple and not overwrought. Some might call the design "safe" and to a certain extent that is true but I call it "smart" since it is aerodynamic, nothing weird to offend the masses, and fresh thinking unlike most of the designs for ICEs and EVs coming from Japan and Europe these days. Perhaps some will think the design is "boring" and again they have a point but the 200mph bullet trains are boring too when compared to steam/coal powered locomotives from the last century. The model 3 is the design of the future - it is stunning, it is shocking both exterior and interior, and it is here!
I couldn't have said it better myself. A common theme among Japanese cars is lines, creases, and material changes all over the exterior of the car as well as absolutely funky (not in a good way) headlights and tail lights.

This car is simplistic, clean, and downright awesome!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree with you SFM3. The reason is that the design is simple and not overwrought. Some might call the design "safe" and to a certain extent that is true but I call it "smart" since it is aerodynamic, nothing weird to offend the masses, and fresh thinking unlike most of the designs for ICEs and EVs coming from Japan and Europe these days.
Honda had "simple" working for them not too long ago. For example, the 2005-2011 Honda Civic. Simple. Clean. Aerodynamic. I thought it was the best-looking economy car.

The follow-on (2011-2016) was a little busier, but still not too bad.
But then for 2017, they went crazy.

Seriously, what is with all the black plastic crap they decided to stick all over the exterior? I'd have nightmares thinking about trying to wax that thing. I guess they felt the need to change things up.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Notice on SN1: no red brake calipers. Maybe just a "run of the mill" 75 like the first mass production units?
(Kinda figured SN1 would be maxed out for posterity, but maybe it's simply typical of first volume production.)
Elon is extremely focused on manufacturing right now. He's been beating that drum for over a year. And we've already heard that first cars are RWD, large-battery, non-performance. I'm sure that's what he has.

Daliman

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Honda had "simple" working for them not too long ago. For example, the 2005-2011 Honda Civic. Simple. Clean. Aerodynamic. I thought it was the best-looking economy car.

The follow-on (2009-2016) was a little busier, but still not too bad.

Seriously, what is with all the black plastic crap they decided to stick all over the exterior? I'd have nightmares thinking about trying to wax that thing. I guess they felt the need to change things up.
Totally agree I have a 2008 civic and the only feature besides the body lines is the little spoiler. I do a double take when I see the new ones. Love the clean classy lines of the Model 3. It looks sexy and sporty because it is actually sleek and aerodynamic. Class but no frills.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

But then for 2017, they went

I have been seriously worried about the sanity of Honda designers for quite a few years... most recently demonstrated impactfully with Clarity recently! :D
And another case in point: 2018 Honda Odyssey... :eek:

IMG_4138.JPG

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Very similar to Nissan. What is up with the 2017 Maxima? What's up with the front? What about that black plastic running the side to the back?

4651AFD1-5823-46B7-AD0B-2635B4998AEA-20287-00000EDC5E98E1F1.png

(...)

Last edited by a moderator: