NY has interesting rules about powerwall installations

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

save_300_dollars_ev_dot_energy

FurryOne

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well, here it is, another day, another low for Tesla Energy. I started out by ordering the 8.16KW solar panel array, and got to the point where they were going to start the permitting, but wondered why I didn't just go with the solar roof instead and not have to worry down the road, so I cancelled the panels, and ordered the 8.46KW solar roof. More money, but both listed good Federal & state tax incentives, and both listed NYSERDA grants of about $3K. So I get the contract and the NYSERDA grant is listed as $0.00 - say what? After a few choice questions, I get an email back stating that the solar roof doesn't qualify for the grant (So why is it prominently listed on their website?). And to make matters worse, they have no solar roof installers in my area and there's no timeline for having any. WTF!!!! What was I supposed to do, sit on my thumbs until somebody decided to get their crew solar roof qualified? For a Company that supposedly has good software engineers I'd think that if I put in a location not supported it would say so before going any further. Elon needs to get his head out of Mars and straighten out Tesla Energy! Now I have to start all over again with the solar panel side of Tesla Energy.

• Elon Time
Reactions: bsunny

bsunny

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My situation has not been exactly the same as yours, but I feel your pain.
It’s not good, the whole way they interact with customers. I had my own pains going through our process of getting a solar panel system. I almost gave up several times but it finally came together and was installed in January. That’s a longer story for another day, but in the end we are happy so far.
Since then, I’ve spent hours helping two friends try to navigate the process. One was hoping to get a solar roof, so your experience has me concerned.
The other ordered panels and had no onsite visit from them at all until they showed up Tuesday to do the install and said they couldn’t do it because the sump pump was within three feet of the electric panel. Tesla seems to have streamlined their process by eliminating the on-site house assessment, so no one saw that coming. Now she has to move her electric panel before they will do the work. The only way she managed to get that far into it was because of my hand-holding. She is so mad at them because of their lack of communication that she might cancel the whole thing now. And I feel bad because I talked her into it.

Tesla has so many non-intuitive processes that are not well-defined or documented and don’t follow norms. It starts with the simple concept of the potential customer just wanting to talk to someone to get an estimate... can’t be done. And, you cannot use the referral code unless you go into the order page through that link.

I honestly don’t know how they sell anything except their products are the best on the market (so far.) And, they have a lot of unpaid “ambassadors” like me who help their sales by word-of-mouth.
Don’t get me wrong, I am a Tesla “fan”—early adopter, etc. But ugh.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigriver

jlquinn

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
BTW, I learned the hard way that the NYSERDA grant not just computed on the system size. The grant depends on the expected output of the system, which is affected by the array orientation and predicted shading. There's an expected production factor that is computed and the grant is prorated based on that computation. In my case, the roofline is almost N-S, meaning that the panels face east and west. This, combined with a degree of tree shading, resulted in the expected production factor ended up about 0.3, resulting in a significant reduction.

When I realized that, I talked to the Tesla project manager, who told me that this computation comes from NYSERDA. For me, the tree shading wasn't a large part of the reduction, and likely wouldn't justify the cost of taking down those trees.

On Tesla's part, I asked them to improve their sales system be more sophisticated and at least indicating that the NYSERDA grant is often significantly less than the maximum. Even better would be to automatically estimate the likely grant reduction.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
There's an expected production factor that is computed and the grant is prorated based on that computation. In my case, the roofline is almost N-S, meaning that the panels face east and west. This, combined with a degree of tree shading, resulted in the expected production factor ended up about 0.3, resulting in a significant reduction
Production factor of 0.3 sounds extremely low. Like, for a 10 kW system it is only estimated to produce 3000 kWh/year?

jlquinn

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I don't know if 0.3 is really the expected output by NYSERDA formula, or if it is just a factor they compute to prorate the incentive. Either way, it was somewhat painful.

FurryOne

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Since my last posting I applied for Tesla solar panels (8K, 2 PWs), got a scheduled install date, and got my panels & Powerwalls installed - kind of... Rather than installing a Gateway 2, they wanted to install the Backup Switch, which is much simpler, but National Grid freaked out and refused to reconnect me if it wasn't removed. So unless National Grid relents, I'm going to have to wait for another install to be scheduled so they can chop up my entrance cable and insert a Gateway 2. Until then I'm dead in the water.

FurryOne

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
BTW, for those in NY on National Grid, TESLA has the NYSERDA grant listed as $2,007.81 for an 8K system with 2 Powerwalls.