NW Paint Protection Film & Ceramic Coating Shops

Audrey

SR3NTY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
  1. What protection or wrap product did/will you have done to your Model 3 paint?
  2. What style of installation did/will you have? (E.g. front and doors, full, custom/other)
  3. Did/will you have paint correction done; why or why not?
  4. What did/do you expect it cost? If the cost includes other things (e.g. tint) please note that.
  5. What drove your decision making on product and installation style?
  6. What shops have you used or plan to use and why?
Thank you!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
  1. What protection or wrap product did/will you have done to your Model 3 paint?
  2. What style of installation did/will you have? (E.g. front and doors, full, custom/other)
  3. Did/will you have paint correction done; why or why not?
  4. What did/do you expect it cost? If the cost includes other things (e.g. tint) please note that.
  5. What drove your decision making on product and installation style?
  6. What shops have you used or plan to use and why?
Thank you!
here's my plan...
1. RPMTesla rear bumper/trunk lip film, front door sill film & interior trim film, Opti-Coat on paint & exterior film
2. see #1
3. will depend on factory paint finish, but likely just claybar
4. $320 (DIY claybar, film & Opti-coat)
5. previous (now 18 year old) car had dealer installed teflon polymer coating that still is glossy and repels water/dirt. If this lasts a fraction that time, it is worth it!
6. n/a

wishful thinking... If Tesla happens to add an interior carbon fibre trim option by the time I order, I'd do that over the interior film.

Audrey

SR3NTY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like the interior a lot. I saw a few similar raw wood veneers in cars at the $50K+ pricepoint at the Portland Auto Show. I am just not a huge fan of carbon fiber either. I think a lot of folks are hoping for options. A guy in the Portland Tesla Owners Facebook group had 503detailing do a blackout and carbon fiber interior modification that you may like.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like the interior a lot. I saw a few similar raw wood veneers in cars at the $50K+ pricepoint at the Portland Auto Show. I am just not a huge fan of carbon fiber either. I think a lot of folks are hoping for options. A guy in the Portland Tesla Owners Facebook group had 503detailing do a blackout and carbon fiber interior modification that you may like.
I wouldn't be concerned with the interior if the piano black didn't scratch/scuff so easily... the wood I'm ok with as well, but if covering the piano black may cover it as well. I don't really like the 3M 'carbon fibre' vinyl, so would probably go with the brushed (black/titanium/steel....?) or the clear.

svusa11

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I didnt know about ceramic coating options until OCDetailing M3 review videos started surfacing. Any suggestion which product is better from price/value point of view? I have few quotes from local detailer. Also, is there any downside in a long run?

Ceramic Pro Silver - $750
Opti Coat Pro - $900
CQuartz Pro - $1200

Thanks.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I didnt know about ceramic coating options until OCDetailing M3 review videos started surfacing. Any suggestion which product is better from price/value point of view? I have few quotes from local detailer. Also, is there any downside in a long run?

Ceramic Pro Silver - $750
Opti Coat Pro - $900
CQuartz Pro - $1200

Thanks.
The product chosen shouldn't have that much impact on price, the product itself (any of them) should cost in the $70-$100 range the rest is all labor and most of the labor is in the prep (Paint correction). If one shop is telling you that there is a $450 difference between products with identical prep I think you need to find another shop. If you are getting quotes from three different shops you need to ask each of them exactly what their paint correction process includes.

svusa11

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Thanks Ken.

so if I understand this correctly, price premium is mostly based on experience and process steps followed by an individual detailer. As long as I can find experienced professional to apply Ceramic Pro, overall outcome is same.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks Ken.

so if I understand this correctly, price premium is mostly based on experience and process steps followed by an individual detailer. As long as I can find experienced professional to apply Ceramic Pro, overall outcome is same.
Well I don't think that was exactly what I was saying. The point I was trying to make is that the range of estimates you have received from $750 to $1,200 is mostly the result of the cost of labor and not the product. The labor could be higher because one shop spends more time doing paint correction or the same amount of time with higher overhead and or profit.

The ceramic product themselves do not have vastly different costs, in all cases the actual ceramic product should cost under $100, all the rest is labor.

svusa11

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
fyi, there is a paint protection thread over in the customization section (since @Audrey started one here, theoretically to get local input and install suggestions ;) - but you can be an honorary NWerners)
Oops.. when I searched for 'Ceramic Coating' it led me to this thread... kind of hard to figure it out but feel free to move to right place, will leverage paint protection thread in future :)

Audrey

SR3NTY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Audrey - with your delivery coming up quickly, have you decided on a tint/etc shops?
Yes but we haven't informed the shop yet. I don't know who lurks here, so I am going to wait to say who specifically. We are going all out:
  • Self-healing full body paint protection film (brand revealed later)
  • Full body long-life ceramic coating
  • 75% (front and back) and 65% (sides) tint
I've planned to get a Model 3 since Elon put out his master plan. I plan to keep this thing a very long time. So investing in preserving it's beauty matters to me.

Audrey

SR3NTY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We reached out to the company we intend to do the work: 503 Motoring. We will arrange scheduling when they open Monday. We did consider, talk with, and tour other shops. Every shop we contacted was great to work with; they're are many professional and skilled detailers to pick from. In the end the lengthy experience installing PPF products, exceptional examples of their work, lifetime warranty of their work, and extra services (described below) are what made 503 Motoring come out on top for us.

They will have the paint correction detailer come to your model 3 delivery and walk through the car. That expert set of eyes helps you know if the paint issues at delivery are normal or if Tesla needs to fix it. They work with Tesla in Portland a lot and have a good relationship with them. Also they will arrange pickup and delivery of your car; this is helpful for us because we don't live in the Portland area.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
We reached out to the company we intend to do the work: 503 Motoring. We will arrange scheduling when they open Monday. We did consider, talk with, and tour other shops. Every shop we contacted was great to work with; they're are many professional and skilled detailers to pick from. In the end the lengthy experience installing PPF products, exceptional examples of their work, lifetime warranty of their work, and extra services (described below) are what made 503 Motoring come out on top for us.

They will have the paint correction detailer come to your model 3 delivery and walk through the car. That expert set of eyes helps you know if the paint issues at delivery are normal or if Tesla needs to fix it. They work with Tesla in Portland a lot and have a good relationship with them. Also they will arrange pickup and delivery of your car; this is helpful for us because we don't live in the Portland area.
Audrey, thanks for posting the "step-by-step" hand wringing ... I am going through the same as I near delivery day (5/12). One question I had for myself was when to take "the baby" in for her swaddle in ceramic ... if I interpreted your words correctly you gave yours to the detailer straight away after delivery. Is that correct?

Also, the more general question is: when is the best time to take your car in for the overall paint-preserving coat?

Audrey

SR3NTY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One question I had for myself was when to take "the baby" in for her swaddle in ceramic ... if I interpreted your words correctly you gave yours to the detailer straight away after delivery. Is that correct?

Also, the more general question is: when is the best time to take your car in for the overall paint-preserving coat?
I did not get to take her in immediately at delivery. I took delivery April 3, but the shop we chose did not have availability until April 26 to start the work. We will get the completed car from the detailer on Friday morning assuming their present schedule and pace holds-as-expected. It is recommended you schedule drop-off of your car at the detailer the same day as delivery. Less miles the better. In the time between our delivery from Tesla and then drop-off at the detailer we kept the car garaged most of the time. Only a few show-off drives for friends and family. On Friday, when we get her back, the gloves are off! :cool:

Audrey

SR3NTY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
503 Motoring did have someone meet me at delivery and walk-around the car to check for any problems. He did find a defect at bottom of the front where the shop had to clean up some kind of residue and that the front passenger side door needed adjustment (it was sagging slightly). If you do plan to go with them, there's a long waitlist (it was a month for me, as you could see) but they will help you at delivery time too. For us there was no additional cost to have this help at delivery.

Edit: PPF done. Now ceramic and tint.

Last edited: