Not Getting Charged for Supercharging?

Doug Joubert

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Maybe this has been covered before, and, if so, please forgive me.

On our trip back from Houston to NOLA last Saturday, September 8th, we stopped at two Superchargers. We have been billed (and our credit card has paid) for one, but not the other.

Is that typical? Should we say anything to Tesla? I don't want to look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth, but I want to pay my way.

Thanks from beautiful New Orleans!

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had it happen before. On my history it just says "no charge" now. I'm guessing either charger wasn't communicating correctly at the time and it didn't know what to charge, or something else was going on. Either way I wasn't expecting a free charge, but I'm sure you can call tesla and tell them and they'll most likely just tell you not to worry about it.

roflwaffle

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There don't seem to be many of them around, but all the ones I've found are in population centers, and I'm guessing Tesla has a flat rate agreement with the local utility because of how much they're used. TBH, having free supercharging as long as you own a P3D is pretty nice too.

actualsize

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have noticed two that are consistently free in my area:

Hawthorne, Ca at SpaceX - no surprise there
Fountain Valley, Ca

Fresno, California was free on two visits a week apart on an up and back road trip, but I can't tell if that's normal because I don't use it regularly.

I always wondered if it had to do with a concentration of Tesla/SpaceX employees in the area.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can actually find these locations, but it's some work...

Use your car's navigation and turn on "show superchargers" mode:
img_20181007_175429-jpg.15689

Then... start selecting supercharger icons! I found a couple free locations in TX, you'll know because there's no pricing information listed:

img_20181007_174547-jpg.15690

mvimg_20181007_174603-jpg.15691

Here's an example of what most of them look like that will charge if you don't have Unlimited, notice the pricing info does show:
inkedmvimg_20181007_174718_li-jpg.15693

Doug Joubert

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can actually find these locations, but it's some work...

Use your car's navigation and turn on "show superchargers" mode:
View attachment 15689

Then... start selecting supercharger icons! I found a couple free locations in TX, you'll know because there's no pricing information listed:

View attachment 15690
View attachment 15691

Here's an example of what most of them look like that will charge if you don't have Unlimited, notice the pricing info does show:
View attachment 15693
@littlD Wow, what a cool idea! Thank you!

breadfan35

Country
Country
We just took a 1 day trip to Austin TX and went to the Waco TX SC and didn't get charged. I stopped on the way down and on the way back. Was surprised to see "No charge" on my account as I didn't know some where free. I'll be keeping an eye out more often now!

Last edited:

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A few months ago we took a 1,200 mile road trip trip from the San Francisco Bay Area to the Palm Springs area and back. We made 3 short supercharger stops on the way down and were charged for each one. Five days later we headed home, made the exact same 3 stops to charge and were not charged. It is clearly not about the location, so what is it?

UPDATE: its not about posting late, this was 3 months ago and still no charge

Last edited:

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A few months ago we took a 1,200 mile road trip trip from the San Francisco Bay Area to the Palm Springs area and back. We made 3 short supercharger stops on the way down and were charged for each one. Five days later we headed home, made the exact same 3 stops to charge and were not charged. It is clearly not about the location, so what is it?
As I posted above, you can find "Subsidized" superchargers, meaning someone is paying the tab. I personally know of some that never charge anyone.

As for your experience, I'm not sure, but sometimes supercharger costs post later or not at all.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well... the free lunch seems to be over in Waco TX and.... my local favorite spot for free Supercharging... Saint Charles, MO!

Both sites now show rates like any normal Super Charger.

And I can finally come clean, got 2,137 kWh free since June 1st until now just 10 minutes from my house.

Last edited: