Northern Virginia delivery experience

mservice

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why you should have a detailer

I had been waiting for over 2 years when I took delivery of my Model 3 yesterday.

Once I got my configuration email I started looking for a detailer and made my decision after reading reviews, forums, and meeting with them (if you are in northern Virginia and interested in my detailer let me know). We discussed options that I was interested having done, and the estimated cost. I also asked if he would meet me when the car was delivered; he agreed and on delivery day we arrived at Tesla.

In most cases you are beyond stoked and after 2+ years just wanting to jump in and drive. It is likely that you may not catch issues at the delivery, or later when detailing starts. Sure enough, he found things I missed. While fit and finish was pretty good overall, there were a couple of fit issues but not big enough to give the car back to Tesla that day to fix. But the paint was a mess. There were scratches, all over the car. While my detailer said it was mostly poor buffing, there were others looked like something was drug across the hood. Rather than turning it back over to Tesla I’m having my detailer do the work.

Remember your overly stoked, your not really looking as close as your detailer, and the last thing you want is to give the car back to fix, as most of us know returning the car could result in weeks, months to fix, you just want to drive it.

So, the car goes in for detailing the next day. First up was tinting the roof, and windows. But, after the car was washed and air dried two things popped up. The fit and finish of the rear right-hand window leaked. Not necessarily a very bad leak, but a leak. Then we found a crack/chip on the side of the rear window. (See pic)

Looks, like the car will be going back to Tesla for a fix. Hopefully, it will be a fast fix.

In conclusion, a detailer will be very helpful in making your new car even better, and also find things that you may miss at delivery, or after.

Attachments

Last edited:

EValuatED

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Prep wash by hand, pant protection, ceramic coating, window tinting that is also ceramic coated, also wrapping of touch screen and Consol. The use a better quality wrap than 3M, but I can’t remember the name. It’s a bit over 3K but I would recommend talking to William price could be moveable depending on what your looking to do.
Was it Suntek? I’ve read positive postings...

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Why you should have a detailer

I had been waiting for over 2 years when I took delivery of my Model 3 yesterday.

Once I got my configuration email I started looking for a detailer and made my decision after reading reviews, forums, and meeting with them (if you are in northern Virginia and interested in my detailer let me know). We discussed options that I was interested having done, and the estimated cost. I also asked if he would meet me when the car was delivered; he agreed and on delivery day we arrived at Tesla.

In most cases you are beyond stoked and after 2+ years just wanting to jump in and drive. It is likely that you may not catch issues at the delivery, or later when detailing starts. Sure enough, he found things I missed. While fit and finish was pretty good overall, there were a couple of fit issues but not big enough to give the car back to Tesla that day to fix. But the paint was a mess. There were scratches, all over the car. While my detailer said it was mostly poor buffing, there were others looked like something was drug across the hood. Rather than turning it back over to Tesla I’m having my detailer do the work.

Remember your overly stoked, your not really looking as close as your detailer, and the last thing you want is to give the car back to fix, as most of us know returning the car could result in weeks, months to fix, you just want to drive it.

So, the car goes in for detailing the next day. First up was tinting the roof, and windows. But, after the car was washed and air dried two things popped up. The fit and finish of the rear right-hand window leaked. Not necessarily a very bad leak, but a leak. Then we found a crack/chip on the side of the rear window. (See pic)

Looks, like the car will be going back to Tesla for a fix. Hopefully, it will be a fast fix.

In conclusion, a detailer will be very helpful in making your new car even better, and also find things that you may miss at delivery, or after.
Am taking my car directly to William when I get it (after doing at least a little driving) for the ceramic coating and overall detailing. He sounds very knowledgeable.

mservice

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Am taking my car directly to William when I get it (after doing at least a little driving) for the ceramic coating and overall detailing. He sounds very knowledgeable.
I think you’ll be happy.. he is knowledgeable, and I also think because he’s a small operation it not just pushed through.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I think you’ll be happy.. he is knowledgeable, and I also think because he’s a small operation it not just pushed through.
Picked up my M3 on Mon. Pretty much the same thing you experienced. The delivery went fine, BUT the paint detailing either by the factory, or more likely the dealer, has numerous flaws. Fortunately, William at Tier 1 can and will fix it all, but the fix is going to cost me another $1200 (this is not considering the ceramic coating, which I'm also having done). I will make sure the dealer is made aware of the fact that having to spend $1200 to fix a brand new paint job is simply unacceptable. Maybe this will help buyers down the line.
That said, the care is AWESOME!! What an exceptionally cool driving experience. In spite of the above, I have no regrets and would do it all again.

mservice

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Picked up my M3 on Mon. Pretty much the same thing you experienced. The delivery went fine, BUT the paint detailing either by the factory, or more likely the dealer, has numerous flaws. Fortunately, William at Tier 1 can and will fix it all, but the fix is going to cost me another $1200 (this is not considering the ceramic coating, which I'm also having done). I will make sure the dealer is made aware of the fact that having to spend $1200 to fix a brand new paint job is simply unacceptable. Maybe this will help buyers down the line.
That said, the care is AWESOME!! What an exceptionally cool driving experience. In spite of the above, I have no regrets and would do it all again.
Did they clean it up before you picked it up? That can be a real issue which will need to have a paint correction before detailing. I declined their detailing before pickup, and was lucky.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Did they clean it up before you picked it up? That can be a real issue which will need to have a paint correction before detailing. I declined their detailing before pickup, and was lucky.
This is yet another glowing recommendation for Wiliam at Tier 1 Detailing in Dunn Loring, VA. I'm a perfectionist where it comes to car cosmetics, but he's beyond my standards by a country mile. don't even question it - just bring you car down to him and let him work his magic. He's not cheap, but he's worth every penny. If you value your paint's appearance, you will be absolutely amazed at what he can do. He does interiors, glass and wheels, as well. All worth his attention. I had all the paint defects fixed and ceramic coating on the paint, glass and wheels.
Bring your car BEFORE it starts picking up road rash

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I drive by the Tyson's delivery center a few times a week. About 2 weeks ago they changed the way to parked the newly delivered vehicles on east side of the buildings in order to park more. On the west side of the building is where the vehicles that are ready to go to their new homes are parked. It looked like this weekend there would be a lot of new model 3 and X owners

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If Tesla delivered 50 cars a day over the long weekend from the Tyson's SC you can not tell. There were only a few open slots in the new arrival's area when I drove by this afternoon. The ready for delivery side had about 10 M3s ready to go to a good home. I did not see the Xs in the lot that looked ready to go on Friday. I would say 90% or higher 3s waiting for delivery.