Northern Virginia delivery experience

theishu

Dream Car Unlocked
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What a roller coaster of a day! After a sleepless night, and a crazy week on all fronts, the day finally arrived. We took a Lyft to the Tyco Road location in Tysons (Vienna, VA), and after more than one inadvertent detour by our direction-challenged driver, we finally made it. The past few days had been a series of small issues and unhappy news relating to a number of things (life happened), and I was a nervous wreck on the way to the store. I don’t think I was this messed up on the eve of my wedding or even the birth of my child. All I could see in my head were panel gaps, distorted windows and paint scratches.

The first thing our DS tells us is that the tech team is working on some issues and it would take another 30-40 minutes. Got a non-answer when I asked what issues. And then I’m told they found a scratch on the chrome molding (heart sinking in 3… 2..) and that they would replace it via a mobile tech at home/work in a few days. I thanked them for being proactive about it (what else can you say?) and settled down for the wait. This is when I introduce my wife to the famous delivery checklist. She’s never been on the forums or followed the Model 3 too closely. As she reads through the list of potential issues and things to watch out for, her jaw drops lower and lower. :eek:

In 15 minutes, the DS comes back to tell us our car is ready. Of course, the car is beautiful in person; even the friggin’ tires were cleaner than my house! He showed me 2 very small scratches on the chrome and said they’ve already ordered the parts. This time I really felt appreciative of their proactive attitude.

Now let me tell you about the checklist part of the delivery experience. Tesla people are quite familiar with it by now, and you could see that in everything from their orientation talking points to their responses to questions. I asked about swapping for an additional iPhone cable, and he showed me how to simply thread a spare cable from home into the charging dock area, which is a better idea because of the huge phone case my wife uses. Well played, sir! Also, I could sense a little bit of sarcasm at times, whenever the checklist was mentioned, but I didn’t address it. On the good side, they are looking out for commonly reported problems and fixing them even before letting the customer see the car. I guess they deserve points for that.

The good news is that the car is in good shape. I couldn’t find any distortions in the glass, obvious panel gaps, or headliner and A-pillar issues. The little touches our DS added – adding our names into the profiles, setting the nav to ‘Home’, where they already saved our address even before we walked in – made the experience more pleasant. It’s not a grandiose effort in the larger scheme of things, but it was definitely worth appreciating them for it. For future delivery-takers, please remember that this person is spending some time and thought into making your day just a little bit nicer.

Then we breezed through the paperwork, and I tried to quickly look for the important checklist items one last time. Signatures, picture time, another 5 minute wait while the car is brought outdoors, and then more picture time. As we walked outside to our new precious purchase, there was a lady taking pics of the car. Guess I’ll have to get used to that now. :cool:

All those settings and features unnerved us a bit, so we were hesitant to drive it off the lot. My wife gets to drive it first, because she’s my Lady Luck. I suggested she take a couple of loops in the parking lot first, to get comfortable. She puts the car in drive, edges it forward tentatively, and then takes off into outer space without ever looking back.

Last, but not the least – the Tesla grin :D is real! My wife had an ear-to-ear smile stuck to her face for the rest of the day. Her grinning-while-driving picture is now my phone wallpaper (‘make sure to get the Tesla logo on the steering wheel’, she says). We got home, stared and sighed at the gleaming red beauty for a while, went inside and stared a lot more.

Her first impressions (can you believe it’s day 2 and I haven’t driven it yet?)
  • The acceleration is awesome – even for a careful-driving, car-atheist like her, it was the first thing she noticed. And be cautious, she shot up to 75mph without even realizing it. As a passenger, I had the ‘head and body thrown back against the seat’ experience at least 3-4 times on the short drive home. Must remember to be careful with that, or you could end up with queasy passengers.
  • It is a beautiful car – of course!
  • Lumbar support – oh, Lordy! She is a small person, and so her Civic seat bolsters were never at a comfortable height. But this is a revelation! To give a bit of context, we never had a car that was more than merely an A-to-B mode of transportation (Yaris, Civic, Prius).
  • Regen breaking takes a bit of getting used to, but not an issue
  • Driver profiles for seat positioning, etc. – saves many couple fights in the future :)
  • When backing into our reserved parking spot at home, we got a bit nervous as soon as the curb sensors showed yellow/orange lines behind the car image on the screen. After a certain point, the car stopped showing us inches and simply said ‘stop’. Being married to someone who has frequently bumped into pillars and curbs, she LOVED that feature.
  • (Gah, my mind is still too excited, and I’m sure I’m forgetting a million things. More to come in an update.)
  • Final thought: ‘we’re going to seal it in bubble wrap and never use it again’
And then, we finally broke the 2-year long secret to our daughter.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Congrats on your Model 3! Hopefully you get to drive it one day...;)

I can understand how some DS may get discouraged by the checklists like the one I made but, unfortunately, the delivery process is not standardized across all locations. We create checklists to focus special attention on known/reported problem areas and help excited buyers that may otherwise forget to ask certain questions or check for certain known issues.

If the existence of our checklists help Tesla fine tune their own prep routine to make sure that they are delivering the perfect car that people expect, then I would be more than happy that my checklist is obsolete.

theishu

Dream Car Unlocked
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One final thought to add; apologies in advance for the mush.

The 2-3 days leading up to the delivery were a bit of an emotional wreck (a bit like pre-wedding jitters), because we are usually very careful with money and never spend excessively. To plunk down $60K on a car felt painfully vulnerable, almost like putting a piece of your heart out on the street and hoping no one would hit or scratch or even touch it. We park outdoors in a friggin’ townhouse development, for goodness’ sake! As first-gen immigrants, we don’t feel comfortable calling attention to ourselves, especially with a unicorn like this.

But having taking delivery, most of those feelings went away, at least for now. I guess the one big reason why the last two years were so tolerable, is this forum. You guys, especially @TrevP , @MelindaV V, @SoFlaModel3 , @garsh , @Michael Russo , @Mad Hungarian , @ummgood , @Bokonon , @Brokedoc , @Steve Shi, @bradkeller and the entire NoVa gang, Ben Sullins, @ElectricJen , LikeTesla, Ryan McAffrey from Ride the Lightning, Mike and Caleb from the Tesla podcast – and I’m sure I’m forgetting a thousand others, my apologies – all of you made the wait bearable, gave the rest of us enough info and insights to make this a much less daunting experience, built a safe space for sharing even the dumbest of questions, and above all, gave some of us something to work towards. Couldn’t have done any of this without you, and it almost feels a little wrong to have the Model 3 in hand before some of you more deserving people on M3OC do.

All I can do in return is to greet the next person ogling my car, offer them a ride, and get them thinking about an electric car. We’ll get them all, one ICE at a time.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One final thought to add; apologies in advance for the mush.

The 2-3 days leading up to the delivery were a bit of an emotional wreck (a bit like pre-wedding jitters), because we are usually very careful with money and never spend excessively. To plunk down $60K on a car felt painfully vulnerable, almost like putting a piece of your heart out on the street and hoping no one would hit or scratch or even touch it. We park outdoors in a friggin’ townhouse development, for goodness’ sake! As first-gen immigrants, we don’t feel comfortable calling attention to ourselves, especially with a unicorn like this.

But having taking delivery, most of those feelings went away, at least for now. I guess the one big reason why the last two years were so tolerable, is this forum. You guys, especially @TrevP , @MelindaV V, @SoFlaModel3 , @garsh , @Michael Russo , @Mad Hungarian , @ummgood , @Bokonon , @Brokedoc , @Steve Shi, @bradkeller and the entire NoVa gang, Ben Sullins, @ElectricJen , LikeTesla, Ryan McAffrey from Ride the Lightning, Mike and Caleb from the Tesla podcast – and I’m sure I’m forgetting a thousand others, my apologies – all of you made the wait bearable, gave the rest of us enough info and insights to make this a much less daunting experience, built a safe space for sharing even the dumbest of questions, and above all, gave some of us something to work towards. Couldn’t have done any of this without you, and it almost feels a little wrong to have the Model 3 in hand before some of you more deserving people on M3OC do.

All I can do in return is to greet the next person ogling my car, offer them a ride, and get them thinking about an electric car. We’ll get them all, one ICE at a time.
Post of the day!

mservice

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Long time no talk to... congrats on your 3 I assume your loving it. How you charging?
I configured on 04.13 but still haven’t received a call, or VIN yet. This is harder to deal with than the 2+ year wait
I posted on what looked like a NoVa group page about pushing legislation for multi-residential communities and their ability to instal chargers, and restricting HOAs from just saying no.
Has the group of NoVa owners/reservation holders met yet?
Again, congrats on your 3....

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Long time no talk to... congrats on your 3 I assume your loving it. How you charging?
I configured on 04.13 but still haven’t received a call, or VIN yet. This is harder to deal with than the 2+ year wait
I posted on what looked like a NoVa group page about pushing legislation for multi-residential communities and their ability to instal chargers, and restricting HOAs from just saying no.
Has the group of NoVa owners/reservation holders met yet?
Again, congrats on your 3....
Am also from Falls Church. Also configured on 4.13. Would love to meet other NoVA M3 owners and "waiters".
The suspense is absolutely killing me, but the Tyco facility told me I'll likely get a VIN and delivery date sometime this week. Let's hope the same for you!

mservice

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Am also from Falls Church. Also configured on 4.13. Would love to meet other NoVA M3 owners and "waiters".
The suspense is absolutely killing me, but the Tyco facility told me I'll likely get a VIN and delivery date sometime this week. Let's hope the same for you!
Yea, that would be cool. @theishu and I talked about trying to get NoVa M3 folks together. Doesn’t look like it happened. Maybe give it another go.

I have a contact at Tyson who is going to get back to me on Monday with the odds.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Please let me know if you find out anything interesting, but both Tysons and the factory seemed to think we'd get our VIN's sometime this coming week. Sure hope they're right.
BTW, what config is your car?
Mine will be red, PUP, Aero, No EAP (yet)

mservice

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
a84d87fc-1253-4cdb-a51b-607565c46402-jpeg.8690
Please let me know if you find out anything interesting, but both Tysons and the factory seemed to think we'd get our VIN's sometime this coming week. Sure hope they're right.
Doubt I will, Tesla is worse then Apple when it comes to information getting the VIN is helpful gives us an ability to talk to insurers, and if you want personal plates. But, i’ve seen some who have got there VIN but no car for 6 or more weeks. It’s kind’a no rhyme or reason in their delivery process.

Basic config with 18 inch wheels (will pull the hubcaps) and blue. Was going to get the midnight gray but it looked like everyone was getting that color. Now, that I picked blue it looks like that’s the new color for everyone. Oh, well.

My big issue is charging. I’m in a townhouse no garage and hoping that the HOA will ok a charger, but I’m not holding my breath. We got some homeowners that don’t want EVs even in the community, go figure.

By the way, do you know about the supercharges goin in at Springfield Town Center? They are putting in 18 chargers.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Well, we'll get our cars when we get 'em. Been patient this long - a few more weeks won't kill me.
Blue's a great color. I thought about midnight silver, but just sold an Acura TL that I owned for many years that was almost that color and felt it was time for a change. Besides, I want the car to make a statement :)

I had heard about the Tyson's chargers. That will help. The DC area needs lots more of them. Fortunately for me, I have a garage that I"ve already installed a charger in on its own 50A circuit. Wish you well dealing with your HOA. Those organizations can be very arbitrary sometimes.

mservice

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well my info isn’t as specific as yours. The hedge was pretty specific that they don’t know. My info was we “could” see the VIN, or a call in the coming days or weeks. When asked about VINs being assigned and the delivery I didn’t get a much different answer. In my opinion I think there are just patronizing us tell us what we want to hear. So, I could be getting my VIN and/or call today our weeks from now. I kind’a understand the employees I get asked question on a daily bases when I’m going to get the car. I find I kind of respond like the Tesla employees respond to me

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Well my info isn’t as specific as yours. The hedge was pretty specific that they don’t know. My info was we “could” see the VIN, or a call in the coming days or weeks. When asked about VINs being assigned and the delivery I didn’t get a much different answer. In my opinion I think there are just patronizing us tell us what we want to hear. So, I could be getting my VIN and/or call today our weeks from now. I kind’a understand the employees I get asked question on a daily bases when I’m going to get the car. I find I kind of respond like the Tesla employees respond to me
You're probably correct that they're telling us what we want to hear, given how many of us they have to deal with Sigh.
I guess I'll lower my expectations once again. Let me know if any developments and I'll do the same.
BTW, are you in the automotive business? Your last message seemed to allude to that.

mservice

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You're probably correct that they're telling us what we want to hear, given how many of us they have to deal with Sigh.
I guess I'll lower my expectations once again. Let me know if any developments and I'll do the same.
BTW, are you in the automotive business? Your last message seemed to allude to that.
Nope have nothing to do with the auto business. Just waiting for the 3.

mservice

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For the NVa. Folks. I just saw that the Springfield Town Center SCs being put in are 30 min general parking. Which means ICE cars can park in the stalls, albeit for only 30 min. The bigger question is will it be policed.

I’m not sure if all of the SCs are 30 min but they could be. I understand from Tesla that SCs in public locations that are privately owned Tesla has to enter into agreements with the property owners. So, if they want to open the SC spaces to the general public (ICE) they will. The positive is more SC locations, the downsides are open parking, or as I understand, the National Harbor now requires a $5.00 parking fee to charge.

I guess as I wait for my 3 I do find this to be a bummer. If I have to pay for charging, then property owners require parking fees we could well be finding charging fees to be similar to or even more than gas prices, (not even going to consider taxes by state and local governments).

Well, we will be helping to save the environments.

mservice

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For the NVa. Folks. I just saw that the Springfield Town Center SCs being put in are 30 min general parking. Which means ICE cars can park in the stalls, albeit for only 30 min. The bigger question is will it be policed.

I’m not sure if all of the SCs are 30 min but they could be. I understand from Tesla that SCs in public locations that are privately owned Tesla has to enter into agreements with the property owners. So, if they want to open the SC spaces to the general public (ICE) they will. The positive is more SC locations, the downsides are open parking, or as I understand, the National Harbor now requires a $5.00 parking fee to charge.

I guess as I wait for my 3 I do find this to be a bummer. If I have to pay for charging, then property owners require parking fees we could well be finding charging fees to be similar to or even more than gas prices, (not even going to consider taxes by state and local governments).

Well, we will be helping to save the environments.
UPDATE: it appears that the Springfield SCs are not all general parking. Only 8 or 9 of the 18 chargers are general parkin. The others are Tesla only. This is good news.. but will likely still need to be policed.

Country
Country
I took delivery of my white Mode 3 this weekend. The staff at the Tyco Rd / Tysons location was awesome. Justin did a great job walking me through features, despite two crazy toddlers "helping." He and the rest of the staff were super patient and helpful- one of the best parts was that because they saw we had two kids, they made sure there would be no fighting over the diecast model by "finding" and extra one...